Windows 10: Microsoft Edge freezes or crashes when opening a PDF

Discus and support Microsoft Edge freezes or crashes when opening a PDF in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]Some Windows users are experiencing an issue, Microsoft Edge freezes of crashes when opening a PDF on their computer. According to them when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Aug 7, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Microsoft Edge freezes or crashes when opening a PDF

Microsoft Edge freezes or crashes when opening a PDF default-pdf.jpg
    Some Windows users are experiencing an issue, Microsoft Edge freezes of crashes when opening a PDF on their computer. According to them when they try to open a PDF, let’s say from Gmail, Microsoft Edge freezes. They are unable to change tabs or do anything, however, when they try to open some other app from […]

This article Microsoft Edge freezes or crashes when opening a PDF first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Aug 7, 2021

2. Trouble Opening PDF's

Hi Parker,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Does the issue persist in Edge browser?
    • Do you get similar error when you open the PDF file in Adobe reader?

Check if you are facing similar issue in Edge browser.

Step 1: Open PDF file in Adobe reader and check if you are facing similar issue.

To open PDF file directly from Adobe reader, follow the steps below:

• Open Adobe application and click on Edit.
    • Click on Preferences and select Internet.
    • Uncheck Display PDF in Browser option and check if you are able to open the PDF file without getting the error code.

Step 2: If you are able to open PDF file in Adobe reader, I suggest you to
    Turn off Internet Explorer,
    enable it again and check if the issue is resolved.

For further assistance, I suggest you to post your query in Adobe support forum.

Acrobat Reader on Adobe Support Community

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Aug 7, 2021
  3. Microsoft Edge keeps taking over PDF file open/association

Every few days the file association for PDFs on my Windows 10 machine switches to Microsoft Edge.

I then right click on a PDF, choose "Open With -> Choose Another App", select Acrobat from the list, and check "Always use this app to open .PDF files".

Then for a few days it sticks, but always winds up going back to Microsoft Edge. I haven't figured out a pattern to suggest when/why this happens. It just does and is very annoying.

Does anyone have an idea of why this happens or how to permanently fix it?

Oz Solomon, Aug 7, 2021
  4. Microsoft Edge freezes or crashes when opening a PDF

microsoft print to pdf files will not open after saving

We suggest that you save the PDF files on your device and check if the issue persists. You may also want to associate the PDF files to Microsoft Edge as the default program to make sure that you have a default application that will open all of your PDF files.
    Here are the steps:

• Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Select the .pdf file type and then click the Change program button on the upper right of the
      Set Associations window.
    • Choose Microsoft Edge and then click OK.
    Let us know how it goes.

Jamille Nar, Aug 7, 2021
Thema:

Microsoft Edge freezes or crashes when opening a PDF

1. Microsoft Edge freezes or crashes when opening a PDF - Similar Threads - Microsoft Edge freezes

2. Microsoft Jigsaw crashes when opening some page in Edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Jigsaw crashes when opening some page in Edge: MS Jigsaw keeps crashing. Today it crashed twice while it seemed to open a page in Edge. The second time I saved the URL in case it helps MS to fix the crashes: https://s0.2mdn.net/sadbundle/15203568126445503942/[object%20Object] I guess MS Jigsaw tries to open some ad for...
  3. Microsoft Jigsaw crashes when opening some page in Edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Jigsaw crashes when opening some page in Edge: MS Jigsaw keeps crashing. Today it crashed twice while it seemed to open a page in Edge. The second time I saved the URL in case it helps MS to fix the crashes: https://s0.2mdn.net/sadbundle/15203568126445503942/[object%20Object] I guess MS Jigsaw tries to open some ad for...
  4. Microsoft Edge keeps opening PDF files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Edge keeps opening PDF files: Good day Supporti have problem with Edge keeps on hijacking my PDF, i have tried changing default app to adobe acrobat , but after a reboot edge becomes the default app. Please help ?Edge is up to date. Microsoft EdgeVersion 92.0.902.73 Official build 64-bitAcrobat reader is...
  5. Microsoft Edge will not open PDF files from a websites

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge will not open PDF files from a websites: Microsoft Edge will not open PDF files from a forum that has a thread with a pdf file attached. It wants me to save the pdf to my HD instead. I'm using Adobe Reader and this is the first I have noticed this change. Edge Version 80.361.62 64bit The Extension App shows pdf...
  6. Couldn’t open PDF in Edge, Something’s keeping this PDF from the opening

in Windows 10 News
    Couldn’t open PDF in Edge, Something’s keeping this PDF from the opening: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 uses Microsoft Edge as a default web browser. This new built-in browser is replaced with the older Internet Explorer for its performance and features. Apart from serving a default browser, Microsoft Edge acts as a default PDF viewer [...] This...
  7. Problem with pdf file when viewing on Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with pdf file when viewing on Microsoft Edge: Hi, Recently, I have a problem with Microsoft Edge when I open a pdf file, the situation is as follow. Can anyone explain and help me to solve this matter? Thanks in advance [ATTACH]...
  8. microsoft edge keep opening PDF files

in Browsers and Email
    microsoft edge keep opening PDF files: Yes I have done that without joy still Microsoft Edge keeps hijacking my .pdf files. [img]
  9. Microsoft Edge crashing upon opening

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge crashing upon opening: UPDATE: We had further issues for this, Norton caused a ruckus with Edge, after removing this however, Edge started working fully functional.
  10. Empty PDF in Microsoft Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Empty PDF in Microsoft Edge: All of a sudden, when I open some (not all) PDFs they have blank contents in Edge. No viewer like Acrobat or PDFXChange installed. No viruses and SFC /scannow is all right. I don't think it's browser related but a more generic PDF format filter (?) corruption in my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Microsoft edge crashing when opening pdf