Windows 10: Microsoft Edge gains a little bit of market share in February

Discus and support Microsoft Edge gains a little bit of market share in February in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Good point. I've tried IE11 recently and it's really not a bad browser. While it's not the best one can easily live with it. That's my precise... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Sumit Dhiman, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Microsoft Edge gains a little bit of market share in February

That's my precise evaluation of IE 11. Exact sentiments here.

Jody Thornton, Mar 3, 2016

2. There a few things to remember in this debate:

(1) IE started it all, and many of us grew up with IE as the ONLY browser available.
    (2) Many large corporates in my area of the world, standardised on IE as the only way to access the intranet as well as internal systems, so even if you wanted to, you could not, not use IE.
    (3) I tried virtually every browser that popped out of the woodwork, but if it did not make a real difference to my daily working it was discarded.
    (4) Edge 13, is actually a very good browser. Its ratings in terms of compliance with "international standards" are fast catching up with others. The browser is fast, and real easy to use.
    (5) Chrome upset me very quickly with all the hassles one had to customise it, so I have it as a back up only.
    (6) IE remains a way to "test" how well a website has been written. IF a site works with IE, one can be pretty sure the code has been written properly. IE is not tolerant of badly written code.
    If you are truly interested in trying to be objective about this matter, and get all emotional about the subject, have a look at this site for a fairly good assessment of browsers . HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5?

Of course there are other "tests" available to use, and the above is not the only one, just one of the better ones.

Geoff Daniell, Mar 4, 2016
  3. Thank you for the link
    I put Edge against IE11 among others and Edge beat IE11
    It Came second to the latest release I believe of Chrome which is good considering it is only a baby compared to the other Browsers

hTconeM9user, Mar 4, 2016
  4. gtspeck Win User

Microsoft Edge gains a little bit of market share in February

I still use ie11. It does fine for what I need and works fine on Windows 10. It basically boils down to preference. Right now Edge doesn't handle extensions. Until it does I see no reason, for me, to use it. Once it does then I'll try it out.*Smile

gtspeck, Mar 4, 2016
  5. Agree, I access a number of sites on a daily basis which require extensions, so IE 11 is crucial for me. But for casual access of the web, Edge is fast becoming my "go to" browser.

The only other browser I use is "Opera" which just happens to work the best on the tablet I have. To be honest I prefer to use a browser that is compatible with the operating system on my PC, so Edge 13 and IE 11 will remain my favourites.

Geoff Daniell, Mar 4, 2016
  6. Winuser Win User
    "(1) IE started it all" I was using Netscape way before IE came out.

Winuser, Mar 5, 2016
  7. Remember that well it was a very nice Browser

hTconeM9user, Mar 5, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

+1 +1 +1 +1

davidhk, Mar 5, 2016
  9. Winuser Win User
    My first online experience was with a service called Prodigy.

Winuser, Mar 5, 2016
  10. All together I look after 40 different systems
    All running Windows 10 and Edge and none of them have ever given me any trouble
    That is including my daughters systems
    My grand daughters who are at uni use only 10 and Edge and Windows Mail App
    I could if there was any trouble be able to access them remotely
    So now everyone now knows why I praise it

hTconeM9user, Mar 5, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    +1 +1 +1 +1

davidhk, Mar 5, 2016
  12. Yes I guess that is correct. Netscape was released in December 1994, with beta versions before that. IE 1 came out in August 1995 .

Before that, Windows users were using a early browser called "Spyglass". My exposure to the Internet started I with the release of the windows 95 plus upgrade.

Geoff Daniell, Mar 6, 2016
  13. Microsoft Edge gains a little bit of market share in February

Hmmmm I swore that there were completed 16-bit Navigator versions within 1993. Wow! I must have remembered incorrectly. At the Comdex show in 1993, I saw some Sun Workstations using Open Look and Motif desktops that were browisng, but I don't know what the browser application was.
    *Smile

Jody Thornton, Mar 6, 2016
  14. Winuser Win User
    I didn't remember what year it was. I just knew that my first browser was Netscape. Before that I was using the Prodigy service which was all proprietary at first. It wasn't until later that they allowed access to the web.

Winuser, Mar 7, 2016
  15. Most of us in SA were exposed to PCs first at work, so it depended very much on what the company you were working for was up to at the time.
    Going into the history, I see there were quite a few proprietary systems around before 1994, and quite a few Netscape versions before the generally accepted public release in December 1994.

I was involved in trial "remote banking systems" at the time. A Proprietary system developed in SA by our telecom provider and one banking institution. This was long before 1994, in fact as early as 1982/1983. I suppose in today's language, one could describe it as a DOS App.

Internet Browsing really started for us in SA with the release of Windows 95 and the Plus add on/upgrade which included IE1.

Geoff Daniell, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft Edge gains a little bit of market share in February - Similar Threads - Microsoft Edge gains

2. Windows 10 is comfortably ahead of Windows 11, gaining nearly 1% market share

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 is comfortably ahead of Windows 11, gaining nearly 1% market share: Microsoft has already clarified its plans to end support for Windows 10 in 2025, and it’s just eighteen months before the operating system stops receiving updates and support. However, StatCounter’s report shows that Windows 10 gained almost 1% market share between January...
  3. Market Share Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Market Share Windows: Windows 10 is the most market share in February 2023, but the current Windows is Windows 10 right in 2023? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/market-share-windows/657c0934-c2c0-42fd-89e2-7cab9e23e28d
  4. Market Share Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Market Share Windows: Windows 10 is the most market share in February 2023, but the current Windows is Windows 10 right in 2023? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/market-share-windows/657c0934-c2c0-42fd-89e2-7cab9e23e28d
  5. Market Share Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. A little bit problem.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A little bit problem.: Hi, I have a problem with my pc, I don't use it for a few minutes, around 15-20 minutes, the screen shows me a blue screen, after a few mouse clicks it returns to its settings I have disabled the sleep and shutdown mode options automatic. Can you help me with this issue,...
  7. Windows 10 continues to gain market share, crosses 34 percent mark

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 continues to gain market share, crosses 34 percent mark: Although Microsoft is investing both money and time in its cloud services, that doesn’t mean the company has given up on its desktop operating system and Windows is unimportant to its strategy. Microsoft still cares about Windows 10 and the company is also paying attention to...
  8. Market Share February 2018

in Windows 10 News
    Market Share February 2018: The StatCounter Data indicates that W10 has overtaken W7. Here are the charts from NetMarketShare and StatCounter. (You'll need to click several times to see it full size) [img] Data from NetMarketShare Data from StatCounter Note: If you visit the NetMarketShare...
  9. Market Share December 2017

in Windows 10 News
    Market Share December 2017: Supposedly there are millions of W7 bots, so NetMarketShare has retconned their data to strip market share from W7. It makes no sense. Bots need a machine to run on and they are visiting sites, so therefore they are actually part of the market. It's like the...
  10. Market Share March 2018

in Windows 10 News
    Market Share March 2018: Here are the charts from NetMarketShare and StatCounter. NetMarketShare suggests that W7 & W10 both decreased slightly and XP went up. *Confused StatCounter shows W10 increasing and W7 decreasing. (You'll need to click several times to see it full size)...