Windows 10: Microsoft Edge gets media overlay support on Windows 10

Discus and support Microsoft Edge gets media overlay support on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft is adding another new feature to Chromium browsers (Edge and Chrome) that would allow you to control YouTube media from anywhere. Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Jun 18, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft Edge gets media overlay support on Windows 10

Microsoft is adding another new feature to Chromium browsers (Edge and Chrome) that would allow you to control YouTube media from anywhere.

Windows 10 has two volume feature – volume slider and media overlay. Unlike the volume slider, media overlay allows you to pause the playing content or change the track. You may have noticed media overlay controls on the left side of the screen when you pause or adjust the volume of a Spotify music through hardware keys.

Microsoft Edge has been updated with the same feature and the browser can even sync the thumbnail from YouTube content. It also supports YouTube thumbnails and you can control volume or pause the content directly from the Windows 10 media controls overlay.

In the latest version of Edge, a pop-up with the name of the YouTube video and controls appear on the left side.

Although it takes up a small chunk of the screen, the media overlay controls are actually helpful. It disappears when you close the YouTube tab and reappears when you play an audio or video in a new tab.

In a Reddit post, a Microsoft engineer confirmed that this feature was recently added to Edge Canary and Chrome Canary.

“I’m the developer at Microsoft that worked on this feature. I’m so happy to see so many people enjoy it. As some people noticed, this is also working in Chrome canary. I worked with a couple engineers at Google to implement this in the Chromium project,” the engineer noted.

If you don’t like media overlay controls, you can disable feature flag (Hardware Media Key Handling) and remove the feature.

The post Microsoft Edge gets media overlay support on Windows 10 appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Jun 18, 2019

2. Microsoft Selects Dolby Audio for Windows 10

it would've been great if microsoft added HEVC decoders, LAV filters along with other codecs with Windows 10, and developing WMP to be better than VLC, KMPlayer and such sorts of media players.

Nevertheless, this is good step for microsoft, by far.

Analog_Interface, Jun 18, 2019
  3. P4-630 Win User
    Microsoft is developing a built-in ad blocker for its Edge browser

"One of the first browser add-ons many people install to improve their online experience is Adblock Plus or something similar. Until recently, Microsoft Edge's lack of support for add-ons put off a lot of would-be users, but reports from Build 2016 suggest that native ad blocking is on its way to the Internet Explorer successor.

Adblock Plus is coming to Edge, but built-in ad blocking would negate the need for such an add-on. A slide shown off and snapped at a Build presentation shows that the next version of Edge, in response to user feedback, will feature ad blocking capabilities. There's no word on delivery timescale, but the upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary Update would seem a likely candidate.

ZDNet's Ed Bott photographed the slide which shows Microsoft's development roadmap built around feedback from testers. Right at the top of the list is reference to plans to create a plugin and extension store for Edge, but it's entry number four that's more intriguing.

"Build ad blocking features into the browser" is listed as a Feature Request from users. But the good news is that it is not only listed as being "Deliverable 4682811", but as "Targeted for the next version".

This will no doubt come as good news for those who have fallen in love with Edge, but it's not something that will be welcomed by the likes of Adblock Plus. It does seem that, particularly in the mobile arena, there is a move to baking ad blocking into the browser so it makes sense that Microsoft is following the trend. But it is the fact that Edge straddles Windows 10 on the desktop and Windows 10 Mobile that makes this a particularly interesting move.

Keep an eye out for Insider builds in the coming weeks as the feature may be just around the corner.
    "

Forget extensions, built-in ad blocking is coming to Microsoft Edge - [UPDATE... no it's not!]

P4-630, Jun 18, 2019
  4. btarunr Win User

Microsoft Selects Dolby Audio for Windows 10

Dolby Laboratories, Inc. and Microsoft Corporation announced today that Dolby Audio is selected to be a part of the Microsoft Windows 10 operating system and will be natively supported by the new Microsoft Edge browser for the playback of web-based content as well as accessible by third-party Windows Store apps. Users of Microsoft Windows 10 PCs and tablets will enjoy Dolby quality audio experiences through Windows entertainment apps and through Microsoft Edge.

Dolby Audio (supporting Dolby Digital Plus) will be available in x86 Windows 10 PCs and tablets for playback of movies, TV shows, and videos with crisp, clear dialogue and greater detail of sounds. Windows 7 and 8 users may upgrade to Windows 10 for free and continue to experience Dolby quality audio consistently across headphones, built-in PC and tablet speakers, or connected home theater systems. Microsoft Edge will be the first browser to leverage the Dolby Digital Plus decoder on the Windows 10 operating system, enabling online content providers to enrich the entertainment experiences of millions of Internet users globally with Dolby Audio.

"We are excited about the collaboration and partnership with Microsoft and share in the commitment to providing the best entertainment experiences possible to consumers across a wide range of devices in the Windows 10 ecosystem," said John Couling, Senior Vice President, E-Media Business Group, Dolby Laboratories. "With the launch of Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge in nearly 200 countries, Dolby and Microsoft will enable better user experiences with high-quality audio that is robust, consistent, and at a scale necessary for the large Windows ecosystem."

"At Microsoft, we are committed to delivering the richest, most immersive, entertainment experiences with Windows 10," said David Treadwell, Corporate Vice President, Operating Systems Group, Microsoft. "With Dolby Audio incorporated into the Windows 10 platform and Microsoft Edge, content providers will be able to deliver their content with superior sound in Dolby Audio for a wide range of Windows 10 based PCs and tablets."

btarunr, Jun 18, 2019
Thema:

1. Microsoft Edge gets media overlay support on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft Edge gets

2. How to Enable or Disable Overlay Scrollbar in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable Overlay Scrollbar in Microsoft Edge: [ATTACH]The Scroll bar in a browser brings into view the portions of the object that extend beyond the borders of the window. This enables smooth scrolling behavior. Depending on your preferences, you can enable or disable the overlay scrollbar in Microsoft Edge. Enable or...
  3. Media Key Overlay

in Windows 10 Customization
    Media Key Overlay: Somewhere inside Windows, there must be a way to disable this feature entirely.I have disabled Hardware Media Key Handling like it's described everywhere,I have done this in both Google Chrome and Edge, however, when my phonesystem rings, the overlay is bach - its only gone...
  4. Abnormal behaviour on Windows Media Overlay

Abnormal behaviour on Windows Media Overlay: Greetings,My issue is as follows: Using media keys to control one source works as expected in most applications , excluding Spotify , where it only pops up if there is no focus on that window. However , when using multiple sources there seems to be a variety of issues.First...
  5. Windows Media Overlay & FPS drops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Media Overlay & FPS drops: Apologies if this is the wrong place! Recently (as of an update or two ago) I’m having an issue related to the windows media overlay (the rectangle in the top left when using the media keys that shows volume, now playing). It seems that for some reason whenever this...
  6. Is there any way to get rid of media/volume overlay?

Is there any way to get rid of media/volume overlay?: Is there any way to get rid of media/volume overlay that pops up when I turn volume knob on my media keyboard? It is driving me nuts, just pops up there and cock blocks me from doing what I want for 20 seconds. submitted by /u/Ikkepop [link] [comments]...
  7. Volume and media overlay is missing

Volume and media overlay is missing: Contrary to popular opinion, I use my media overlay a lot. I really like it. After a recent restart of my computer, it disappeared. The volume change buttons as well as the brightness ones still work, the overlay is just gone. Google has told me that most people have this...
  8. Windows media overlay isn't showing

Windows media overlay isn't showing: I used Iobit's driver booster to fix my audio problem, except it led to disabling the media overlay. It now bothers me that I can't pause or use my media keys for my music. Does anyone know how to bring it back? I tried disabling and enabling my sound drivers, but that didn't...
  9. Microsoft Edge is getting controls overlay, new download experience

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Edge is getting controls overlay, new download experience: Microsoft Edge was launched in January 2020 for Windows 10, Windows 7, macOS, and it’s also coming to Linux later this year. Microsoft is working on refining the experience of the Edge browser and one priority is bringing the top features from the old Edge to the new one....
  10. Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 gets a media play/pause button

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 gets a media play/pause button: Google has been working on a new play and pause button for Chrome’s toolbar, and the feature is apparently coming to the Edge browser as well. With the latest Edge Canary update, Microsoft has added a new button to the browser’s toolbar that would allow you to pause, resume...