Windows 10: Microsoft Edge is about to get faster on Windows 10 and macOS

Discus and support Microsoft Edge is about to get faster on Windows 10 and macOS in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Google’s Chrome is popular but it has earned itself something of a reputation for being a resource-hungry browser. Microsoft Edge is also based on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Apr 28, 2021.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft Edge is about to get faster on Windows 10 and macOS

Google’s Chrome is popular but it has earned itself something of a reputation for being a resource-hungry browser. Microsoft Edge is also based on Chromium (the platform that powers Chrome), but the tech giant has taken various measure to improve things, and address poor performance concerns.

With a new feature, Microsoft is planning to cut down the animations when you’re not actively using Edge browser. This change is part of the performance mode, which was introduced earlier this month.

Edge (Canary) was recently updated with a new “performance mode” which will give it a boost over rival browsers on Windows 10. The experimental performance mode attempts to optimize both CPU and RAM usage to reduce battery/power consumption while ensuring browsing speed and responsiveness.

Thanks to the new update, those running macOS will soon benefit from improved performance mode too. In addition to macOS support, Microsoft Edge’s settings page was also updated with additional information on the upcoming performance mode.

Microsoft now states that performance improvements will vary depending on your device configurations and browsing habits, but users will notice at least three changes after turning on the optional feature.

Microsoft Edge is about to get faster on Windows 10 and macOS Edge-performance-mode.jpg

The company warned that video streaming will be less smooth when you use performance mode. Likewise, Microsoft Edge animations will also slow down when you’re not interacting with the browser.

Microsoft is implementing these changes to reduce CPU usage and improve overall battery life.

The third change is for default sleeping tabs behaviour. Microsoft has confirmed that the background/inactive tabs will be discarded (go to sleep) after five minutes of inactivity instead of two hours.

Currently, when you enable sleeping tabs, Edge puts tabs to sleep after two hours by default.

How to test performance mode

Microsoft Edge performance mode is coming to both Windows 10 and macOS later this year. It’s currently hidden behind an experimental flag, but you can enable it by following these steps.

On macOS, launch terminal (bash) after updating Edge Canary to version 92 and enter the following command:

/Applications/Microsoft\ Edge\ Canary.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft\ Edge\ Canary --enable-features=msPerformanceModeToggle

Microsoft Edge is about to get faster on Windows 10 and macOS Edge-macOS.jpg

On Windows 10, you can simply right-click on the Edge Canary shortcut and append the following command in the Target field:

--enable-features=msPerformanceModeToggle

You can also run the executable file of the browser from the command line with the above code on the end.

The post Microsoft Edge is about to get faster on Windows 10 and macOS appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Apr 28, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

Introducing the first Microsoft Edge preview builds for macOS

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/...anary-preview/

See also: Microsoft Edge Insider preview builds are now ready for you to try

Tweet

— Twitter API (@User) View on Twiiter

Brink, Apr 28, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Introducing the first Microsoft Edge preview builds for macOS

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/...anary-preview/

See also: Microsoft Edge Insider preview builds are now ready for you to try

Brink, Apr 28, 2021
  4. P4-630 Win User

Microsoft is developing a built-in ad blocker for its Edge browser

"One of the first browser add-ons many people install to improve their online experience is Adblock Plus or something similar. Until recently, Microsoft Edge's lack of support for add-ons put off a lot of would-be users, but reports from Build 2016 suggest that native ad blocking is on its way to the Internet Explorer successor.

Adblock Plus is coming to Edge, but built-in ad blocking would negate the need for such an add-on. A slide shown off and snapped at a Build presentation shows that the next version of Edge, in response to user feedback, will feature ad blocking capabilities. There's no word on delivery timescale, but the upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary Update would seem a likely candidate.

ZDNet's Ed Bott photographed the slide which shows Microsoft's development roadmap built around feedback from testers. Right at the top of the list is reference to plans to create a plugin and extension store for Edge, but it's entry number four that's more intriguing.

"Build ad blocking features into the browser" is listed as a Feature Request from users. But the good news is that it is not only listed as being "Deliverable 4682811", but as "Targeted for the next version".

This will no doubt come as good news for those who have fallen in love with Edge, but it's not something that will be welcomed by the likes of Adblock Plus. It does seem that, particularly in the mobile arena, there is a move to baking ad blocking into the browser so it makes sense that Microsoft is following the trend. But it is the fact that Edge straddles Windows 10 on the desktop and Windows 10 Mobile that makes this a particularly interesting move.

Keep an eye out for Insider builds in the coming weeks as the feature may be just around the corner.
    "

Forget extensions, built-in ad blocking is coming to Microsoft Edge - [UPDATE... no it's not!]

P4-630, Apr 28, 2021
Thema:

1. Microsoft Edge is about to get faster on Windows 10 and macOS - Similar Threads - Microsoft Edge faster

2. Google Chrome will soon get faster on Windows, Linux and macOS

in Windows 10 News
    Google Chrome will soon get faster on Windows, Linux and macOS: Last year Google introduced support for “back-forward cache” on Android, which enables instantaneous page loading when users navigate using backward or forward button. As per a new document spotted by us, Google Chrome 92 update will also enable default support for...
  3. About Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    About Microsoft Edge: Hello, I DON`T WANT WORK OR UPDATE MICROSOFT EDGE! THIS IS THE BIG PROBLEM FOR ME. PLEASE, HELP ME TO NOT UPDATE THIS ONE! I AM VERY SORRY,BUT I CAN`T ACCEPT THIS PROGRAM, BECAUSE OF THAT; 1. I CAN`T USE SKYPE, I CAN`T UPDATE APP STORE, WHATSAPP and on PRINCIPLE I CAN`T...
  4. Microsoft’s new Edge browser is about to get even faster

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft’s new Edge browser is about to get even faster: In 2018, Microsoft ceased producing its own web browsing engine in favour of Google supported Chromium. The key differentiators between the new Edge and Chromium-based browsers are its user interface, smooth scrolling, a customizable start page experience, Collections, and...
  5. New Microsoft Edge released for Windows 10, 7 and macOS

in Windows 10 News
    New Microsoft Edge released for Windows 10, 7 and macOS: The wait is over—new Microsoft Edge is now available for download on Windows 10, 7, 8.1 and Apple macOS. With the new Microsoft Edge, the company is preparing to phase out the EdgeHTML-based version of Edge. The new Microsoft Edge is built on Google’s Chromium platform and...
  6. New Microsoft Edge launches for Windows 10, 7 and macOS on Jan 15

in Windows 10 News
    New Microsoft Edge launches for Windows 10, 7 and macOS on Jan 15: Microsoft announced the Chromium-based version of Edge earlier this year and today the company revealed that Edge stable version is arriving early next year. Microsoft’s “new” Edge or the “next” Edge comes with a new logo alongside a series of new features and significant...
  7. Introducing the first Microsoft Edge preview builds for macOS

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing the first Microsoft Edge preview builds for macOS: Last month, we announced the first preview builds of the next version of Microsoft Edge for Windows 10. Today, we are pleased to announce the availability of the Microsoft Edge Canary channel for macOS. You can now install preview builds from the Microsoft Edge Insider site...
  8. About the problems with Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    About the problems with Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge: Cannot delete search history . This is a very serious problem because it has banking and on-line shopping information which is personal and subject to being stolen by online criminals. I do not believe Microsoft is fixing it. Am i going to have to reset my all my...
  9. Microsoft is bringing Chromium-based Edge to Windows 10, 8, 7 and macOS

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is bringing Chromium-based Edge to Windows 10, 8, 7 and macOS: There were rumours claiming that Edge browser will go cross-platform and use Chromium’s Blink rendering engine soon. Today, Microsoft officially announced that Edge will ditch EdgeHTML rendering engine to become a part of the Chromium family. Microsoft is rebuilding the Edge...
  10. about microsoft edge

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    about microsoft edge: good day. i am suppose or planning to make microsoft edge as my default browser however there is a very big problem i encountered with edge that is i cannot play msn videos normally to which i can only hear the sound without the video to see on the other hand when i go to...