Windows 10: Microsoft Edge: Paste URL into address bar

Discus and support Microsoft Edge: Paste URL into address bar in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Been using browsers since 1994's Netscape and never thought I would be asking such a question *Biggrin But... I am unable to paste a URL into the... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Ivan Ho, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Ivan Ho Win User

Microsoft Edge: Paste URL into address bar

Been using browsers since 1994's Netscape and never thought I would be asking such a question *Biggrin

But...

I am unable to paste a URL into the Microsoft Edge address bar. It appears the issue goes back > 4 years; and although I have searched extensively for a solution, no suggestions have resolved the issue. I can paste clipboard URL into Chrome or FF or Notepad or Word or [You name the app here], but not in the Edge address bar. AND, it is not limited to the address bar; I cannot paste anything into the search bar either. I can type in either bar, just not able to paste clipboard data.

I have tried all of the following, to no avail:

1) Click in address or search bar or Ctrl + L, then Ctrl + V
    2) Click in address or search bar or Ctrl + L, right-mouse click and select "Paste"
    3) Settings | App | Microsoft Edge | Advanced options | Repair
    4) Settings | App | Microsoft Edge | Advanced options | Reset
    5) Open Edge Settings | Privacy & security | Show search and site suggestions as I type: Disable (i.e., turn off)

I have seen no other suggestions, as of yet.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Windows version: 64-bit Windows 10 1903 (clean install--new laptop; not an update from other version/build)
    Edge version: 44.18362.267.0
    Edge HTML version: 18.18362

:)

Ivan Ho, Sep 10, 2019

2. Microsoft Edge Address Bar

Hi Zach,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to open actual address of websites with short forms as you wish:

• Open Microsoft Edge, click on More actions(...) at the right top corner.
    • Click on View advanced settings, under Search in the address bar with
      click on down arrow.
    • Choose <add new>, try to add the default website.
    Secondly, as opening pages in new tab is set by design, I suggest you to provide this as a feedback.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 10, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    Copy / Paste from Edge Address Bar Question

It works in Edge exactly as it works in other browsers (possible exception: never used FF, don't know about that): you click on address bar, the URL is automatically selected and you can copy it. If you unselect the URL and right click, you cannot copy it.

Edge when URL is selected, Copy & Cut enabled:

Microsoft Edge: Paste URL into address bar [​IMG]

Edge when URL is not selected, Copy & Cut disabled, not shown:

IE when URL is selected, Copy & Cut enabled:

IE when URL is not selected, Copy & Cut disabled:

Chrome when URL is selected, Copy & Cut enabled:

Chrome when URL is not selected, Copy & Cut disabled:

4. Microsoft Edge: Paste URL into address bar

Microsoft edge Infinite tab in address bar?

Hi Sartindora,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern and will certainly help you to get your query resolved.

Install any pending updates on the pc to check if that helps. Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

I suggest you to delete the edge browser cookies and check.

Follow the below steps to manage cookies in Microsoft Edge.

1. Open Microsoft Edge.

2. Click on More options
    (… symbol)
    on the top right corner of the browser.

3. Select Settings
    from the drop down menu.

4. Click onChoose
    what to clear under Clear browsing data.

5. Check the Cookies and saved website data (and any other data you want to clear) and click on
    Clear button.

Reference: Please refer to the below Microsoft help article for more information about Microsoft Edge.

You may also set MS Edge as the default browser in the control panel to check if that helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/make-microsoft-edge-your-default-browser

Also, refer to the article: Microsoft Edge and privacy: FAQ

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10/edge-privacy-faq

Please do get back to us with the status of this issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Suvarna Govinda, Sep 10, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft Edge: Paste URL into address bar

1. Microsoft Edge: Paste URL into address bar - Similar Threads - Microsoft Edge Paste

2. How to disable new URL Copy and Paste feature in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable new URL Copy and Paste feature in Microsoft Edge: [ATTACH]This post will show you how to disable the new URL copy and paste […] This article How to disable new URL Copy and Paste feature in Microsoft Edge first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  3. Microsoft Edge crashing everytime I type in the search bar/address bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge crashing everytime I type in the search bar/address bar: Starting this afternoon, Edge has crashed every time I typed anything in the address bar or the search bar found on the New Tab page. I'd made no changes whatsoever to any settings. Also confirmed that it wasn't a RAM or disk space issue. I noticed that when I changed the...
  4. Problem with Edge address bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with Edge address bar: When I input something there and click on Enter, it directs me to IP. And It doesn’t understand when I am typing. It is not the only problem. Windows Defender is not working as well...
  5. Copy/paste URL

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Copy/paste URL: Hello. On a Mac when you right click a domain URL someone has sent you, you have the option to copy the URL (https://) or just the domain name itself. Does anyone know if a tool/tweak for something like this exists on windows 10. My job has me copy/pasting a lot of domain...
  6. Edge Address bar search banner

in Windows 10 Customization
    Edge Address bar search banner: I don't want this search banner, therefore I am deleting EDGE from usage and going to Firefox. Thanks Microsoft for imposing MS software that I don't want and cant easily delete...
  7. url address popups

in Windows 10 Customization
    url address popups: how can I turn off these pesky URL address boxes from appearing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/url-address-popups/1bd88a53-21bb-42f9-8333-c19f60211592
  8. Pasting a URL into Mail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pasting a URL into Mail: The default mail application in Windows does not let you paste a into the body of the message. This is absolutely abysmal usability. Looking at the help and community areas, there is a plethora of people with similar issues. While yes, for URLs you can go into the "Insert" ->...
  9. Copy / Paste from Edge Address Bar Question

in Browsers and Email
    Copy / Paste from Edge Address Bar Question: If I right click in the address bar, I don't have the option of "copy" in the drop down menu. I must select "select all", right click again and select "copy". I can then paste to a new tab or other destination. Is this the norm for Explorer / Edge or is there something else...
  10. Edge url bar wont stay viewable?

in Browsers and Email
    Edge url bar wont stay viewable?: So I like Edge but hate the fact that the url address bar doesn't stay active at all. You have to click where the bar is to turn it on. That's so backwards. Is there a way to set it to always stay on? 12809

Users found this page by searching for:

1. paste into excel address bar