Windows 10: Microsoft Edge: Search bug or have I set wrong

Discus and support Microsoft Edge: Search bug or have I set wrong in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have setup Google as my default search engine in Edge. If I open a new tab, and see "Where to next?" I have a problem that if I enter a search... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by IsaacFL, May 25, 2016.

1. IsaacFL Win User

Microsoft Edge: Search bug or have I set wrong

I have setup Google as my default search engine in Edge.

If I open a new tab, and see "Where to next?" I have a problem that if I enter a search that has a "." it will fail.

i.e. Search for

"how to boot from NVMe m.2 SSD"

I get an error saying:
    Hmm, we can't reach this page.

Try this
    •Make sure you’ve got the right web address: http://how to boot from nvme m.2 ssd
    •Refresh the page
    •Search for what you want

If I take out "." it works.
    "how to boot from NVMe m2 SSD"

Has anybody seen this?

:)

IsaacFL, May 25, 2016
  2. Jsssssssss, May 25, 2016
  3. Cortana is not playing music from my lapt

After windows creators update Cortana is not playing music from my laptop instead she is opening Microsoft edge and starts searching.

I command " Hey Cortana, Play the music" She opened edge and start searching "Play the Music".

Is it a bug or I need to do some settings?

HarpreetSingh1025, May 25, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, it depends- if you mean an exact search using " " to exactly specify the search string as here:

Microsoft Edge: Search bug or have I set  wrong [​IMG]

Then you get no results. (That's DuckDuckGo in Firefox). Don't know why you get such an obscure message with Edge.

Whereas see this:

dalchina, May 25, 2016
  5. IsaacFL Win User
    no quotes. just text in quotes

IsaacFL, May 26, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Just that text in Edge works ok for me.. using Bing. (I don't use Edge normally). Ok with Google in FF, and ok in Edge if I first go to google, then search.

dalchina, May 26, 2016
  7. I have had this in the past, but cannot replicate it now
    For me it was a setting in IE, even though you are using Edge
    See what you have this set to

paulsalter, May 26, 2016
  8. IsaacFL Win User

I have the box checked.

It is definitely something I have set incorrectly. I tried it on my laptop that I don't use as much and it works fine.

Not sure how much more I am going to fiddle with it, as I am getting a new computer in a week (why I was searching for M.2 SSD) and will just be reinstalling, so hopefully the setting won't get carried thru.

IsaacFL, May 26, 2016
  9. ARC1020 Win User
    Mine is the same so I don't think it's a settings problem, but rather a design problem in Edge.

As you mentioned, it treats anything you search for in the Edge address bar with a ./period/full stop as a web address instead of a search term (I.E Windows 8.1 Lifecycle). It does the same with slashes too (I.E Canon 600mm f/4 lens). If you search for something with a colon such as a '16:9 monitor', it tells you that you need an app...

As a interim fix, you can use a ? in front of the search term until Microsoft fix it (I.E ?Windows 8.1 Lifecycle, ?Canon 600mm f/4 lens, ?16:9 monitor). This way it's treated as a search term instead of a website URL, so Google search will work correctly.

When you say it's OK on your laptop, is Edge on the the laptop set to 'Search in the address bar' with Google too (because the problem doesn't occur when it's set to Bing)? Alternatively, is the laptop maybe running an insider build of Windows 10 where Microsoft may have resolved the issue?

ARC1020, May 27, 2016
  10. IsaacFL Win User
    On the laptop, I have never changed any of the settings in Edge, so it is pretty much the default settings (i.e. using Bing as search). That is why I think it is probably something to do with a change I made on Edge on my main computer. I think it started after I changed the default search to Google. But I changed it back to Bing and the problem persists.

IsaacFL, May 27, 2016
  11. Mystere Win User
    The reason for this is that the browser is considering the . to be a domain name, like blah.com etc.. so it's trying to look up the site as if it were a domain name.

The solution to this is to start search queries that might be confused as domain names with a ? (question mark)

so to search google for foo.com you type ? foo.com, then the browser will submit the text verbatim to the search engine rather than try to look it up. You can also type Ctrl-E and it will automatically add the ? at the beginning of the search query.

Mystere, May 27, 2016
  12. ARC1020 Win User
    I've noticed Microsoft Edge now allows you to use . / and : in address bar searches since the Anniversary Update.

So we can now search for "NVMe M.2 SSD", "Windows 8.1 Lifecycle", "Canon 600mm f/4 lens" and "16:9 monitor" without needing to use the ? prefix anymore. *Cool

ARC1020, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft Edge: Search bug or have I set wrong - Similar Threads - Microsoft Edge Search

2. Microsoft edge bugs my navigator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft edge bugs my navigator: Good Morning Madam Sir, i have Always problems for naviguer in Microsoft edge who bug Always Bonjour Madame Monsieur, j'ai Toujours des problèmes pour naviguer dans Microsoft edge qui bug toujoursi have Always problems for naviguer in Microsoft edge who bug Always Bonjour...
  3. Microsoft edge bugs my navigator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft edge bugs my navigator: Good Morning Madam Sir, i have Always problems for naviguer in Microsoft edge who bug Always Bonjour Madame Monsieur, j'ai Toujours des problèmes pour naviguer dans Microsoft edge qui bug toujoursi have Always problems for naviguer in Microsoft edge who bug Always Bonjour...
  4. Searching Favorites in Microsoft Edge

in Cortana
    Searching Favorites in Microsoft Edge: The question at Searching favorites in Edge - Microsoft Community is locked without an answer.Suggestion: Open Manage Favorites CTRL+SHIFT+O. A Favorites search bar is at the top. Just enter the search term....
  5. Searching Favorites in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching Favorites in Microsoft Edge: The question at Searching favorites in Edge - Microsoft Community is locked without an answer.Suggestion: Open Manage Favorites CTRL+SHIFT+O. A Favorites search bar is at the top. Just enter the search term....
  6. Searching Favorites in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. windows search, microsoft store , microsoft edge and settings apps are not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows search, microsoft store , microsoft edge and settings apps are not working: how to fix windows search, microsoft store , microsoft edge and settings apps are not working * Moved from Research/Eyes First https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-microsoft-store-microsoft-edge-and/04442773-5dce-4f99-8a08-b9883bcfa528
  8. Microsoft Edge,Microsoft Store, search bar and settings not responding

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft Edge,Microsoft Store, search bar and settings not responding: Whenever i open microsoft edge,it shows not responding.Then,microsoft store and settings did the same thing like microsoft edge.But,Search bar kept loading for no reason.Can you guys help me on how to solve this problem?I can't even download it from Microsoft store....
  9. New Microsoft Edge Bug

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New Microsoft Edge Bug: I've recently have encountered a bug in Microsoft Edge. So when I use Microsoft Edge and play audio from it, the audio will play but stops playing once I pause or close that tab. Yes, my PC audio still works but it's just that Microsoft Edge audio suddenly stops working...
  10. Microsoft Edge search history?

in Cortana
    Microsoft Edge search history?: Hi. I can't see my search history under the search bar since the Windows update. Do you know if I can reactivate it somehow or is it because of the update. Microsoft Edge Suchverlauf?