Windows 10: Microsoft Edge: What's Next for Microsoft's New Browser & Web Platform

Discus and support Microsoft Edge: What's Next for Microsoft's New Browser & Web Platform in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft Edge: What's Next for Microsoft's New Browser & Web Platform In 2015, Microsoft launched its first new browser in 20 years: Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Cluster Head, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Microsoft Edge: What's Next for Microsoft's New Browser & Web Platform

Microsoft Edge: What's Next for Microsoft's New Browser & Web Platform

Source: Microsoft Edge: What's Next for Microsoft's New Browser and Web Platform Channel 9

:)

Cluster Head, Mar 30, 2016

2. No software that used to run on Internet Explorer, will now run at all. I am now using Microsoft Edge

Hi,

Nice to meet you!

I guess you were referring to add-ons that used to run on Internet Explorer. Indeed they are not available on the new browser "Microsoft Edge" at this point of time. Microsoft is trying to rebuild a modern browser to replace Internet Explorer. And that is
    the new browser "Microsoft Edge".

"Microsoft Edge" is built for simplicity, productivity, creativity and most importantly,
    safety. That is why "Microsoft Edge" disables all add-ons to avoid any potential risk of web browsing caused by add-ons. "Microsoft Edge" is now highly recognized as the safest, fastest browser. It performs pretty well as a new browser.

Certainly, I fully understand the importance of those add-ons to customize web browsing experience. Don't worry, Microsoft understands this concern as well. "Microsoft Edge" will include extension features (similar to Google Chrome extensions, Internet Explorer
    add-ons...) in the next major update which is planned to come next year. Hence, you will definitely have all those powerful add-ons back with a safer environment in "Microsoft Edge". Just need to be a little bit more patient to wait for developers to complete
    the task as scheduled.

Currently, you can still access those add-ons on your Internet Explorer in Windows 10. You can rely on Internet Explorer when you need add-ons and try the new web browsing experience brought by "Microsoft Edge" for light usage. Microsoft keeps these two
    web browsers for your ease.

Thank You!

Winston_Lai, Mar 30, 2016
  3. Jetta48 Win User
    Whu does Microsoft Edge not support add-ons?

Hi

Extensions/add-ons have historically been the cause of many problems, including:

• security vulnerabilities.
    • IE crashes, instability and slow performance.

Quote from here:

Microsoft Edge Dev - FAQs ,

"

Does Microsoft Edge support plug-ins or extensions?

Microsoft Edge supports viewing PDFs and Adobe Flash as built-in features, but does not support any third-party installable plug-ins. This allows us to build a more secure and more reliable browser to make the Web a safer experience for everyone. We’re working
    on a new, modern extensibility model for Microsoft Edge in a future update.

Does Microsoft Edge support ActiveX controls
    or BHOs like Silverlight or Java

No, ActiveX controls and BHOs such as Silverlight or Java are not supported in Microsoft Edge. The need for ActiveX controls has been significantly reduced by modern web standards, which are more interoperable across browsers. We are working on plans for
    an extension model based on the modern web platform in Microsoft Edge. We look forward to sharing more details on these plans soon. Not supporting legacy controls in Microsoft Edge has a number of benefits: better interoperability with other modern browsers,
    increased performance, security & reliability, and reduced code complexity, just to name a few."

IE11 was included with Windows 10 alongside Edge to allow web pages that don't work with Edge (e.g. because of no add-ons) to still be used. You can even use IE11 all the time and ignore Edge, so you are no worse off because of Edge being there.

It will be interesting to see how Edge, extensions and the web transforms in coming months/years.

Jetta48, Mar 30, 2016
Thema:

Microsoft Edge: What's Next for Microsoft's New Browser & Web Platform

1. Microsoft Edge: What's Next for Microsoft's New Browser & Web Platform - Similar Threads - Microsoft Edge What's

2. New Microsoft Edge Feature Roadmap on the What's Next page

in Windows 10 News
    New Microsoft Edge Feature Roadmap on the What's Next page: Hi Insiders! About a year ago we did one of our quarterly surveys and on it was a question asking what changes you would like to see on the Microsoft Edge Insider forums. The top two answers were better release notes and a roadmap of features coming soon to the browser. We...
  3. The only Web Browser that works is Microsoft edge

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The only Web Browser that works is Microsoft edge: The only web browser that works on my computer is microsoft edge. Any other web browsers such as fire fox and google chrome do not work anymore. they open for a split second and then close. I have tried re-installing the web browser, checking for malware with malware bytes,...
  4. The only Web Browser that works is Microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The only Web Browser that works is Microsoft edge: I normally use Firefox for all my web browsing. but for some reason when I open it or any web browser that is not Microsoft edge, it instantly closes. I have tried reinstalling it multiple times, running it in safe mode or as an administrator, and I have no clue what else I...
  5. What is New in Microsoft Edge Web Experiences for October 2020

in Windows 10 News
    What is New in Microsoft Edge Web Experiences for October 2020: I always love this time of year – the leaves are changing here in Seattle and my kids are “back in school” aka doing schoolwork beside me now. The last several months have forced a reframe in the way I think about work and life, and while I...
  6. #MSIgnite 2020: What is New in Web Experiences with Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    #MSIgnite 2020: What is New in Web Experiences with Microsoft Edge: [media] The message is loud and clear, and we’ve heard it: Providing secure remote access to resources, apps and data is the No. 1 challenge reported by security leaders. Cloud connected apps and services define our ability to work remotely, and with 60% of the...
  7. What is New in Microsoft Edge Web Experiences for August 2020

in Windows 10 News
    What is New in Microsoft Edge Web Experiences for August 2020: What’s New in Web Experiences for August 2020: Collections gets smarter, Microsoft Edge Family Safety comes to Android, and Bing helps you give back to local schools It’s crazy how little our browsers have evolved over the past decade. Today...
  8. New Microsoft Edge browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    New Microsoft Edge browser: Since installing the new Edge browser my text size seems to have gone smaller and is fuzzy and difficult to read. I have the same problem now when I use other browsers as well as the new Edge browser. Needless to say I had no problems before installing the new browser....
  9. The new Microsoft Edge (Chromium) web browser is here to download

in Windows 10 News
    The new Microsoft Edge (Chromium) web browser is here to download: [ATTACH]Fans of the new Microsoft Edge web browser that is based on the Chromium engine, should rejoice right now because the browser is out of […] This post The new Microsoft Edge (Chromium) web browser is here to download is from TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  10. What’s next for Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 and other platforms

in Windows 10 News
    What’s next for Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 and other platforms: Microsoft recently launched Chromium-based Edge Insider browser on Windows PCs and the company has confirmed that the browser is also coming soon to macOS. In addition to making the browser available for more testers, Microsoft is also testing various new features for Edge...