Windows 10: Microsoft employee attempts to clear up confusion around IoT

Discus and support Microsoft employee attempts to clear up confusion around IoT in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; For most, the term Internet of Things (IoT) is a nebulous cloud of catch phrases and loosely connected peripherals. As more OEMs throw their hats into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Microsoft employee attempts to clear up confusion around IoT

[youtube]JQsOx-Pv4bo[/youtube]

Read more: Microsoft employee attempts to cleverly clear up the confusion around the Internet of Things (IoT) WinBeta

Brink, Dec 30, 2015
  2. groze Win User

There already have some of this technology. They actually have a holter monitor that records when you go into afib and sends the info by wifi. I haven't done this method yet. The problem with some of these new methods will the insurance cover it?

Cheap Global Networks? Internet is not cheap.

:)

groze, Dec 30, 2015
  3. harshsyd Win User
    Windows IoT Editions & New Device

Oh okay, but Microsoft has said that "We are releasing a x64 version of Windows IoT Core" in their blogs and some other websites say this too.

So is this still to come or will be it a future product?

Sorry, I'm just a little confused up! Microsoft employee attempts to clear up confusion around IoT :p

harshsyd, Dec 30, 2015
  4. Ken Blake Win User

Windows Creator Update, why did you do this to us?

Just in case you're confused, let me make it very clear: this isn't Microsoft you're addressing; this is a peer support forum. We are all just users of this version of Windows here, helping each other if and when we can.
    We are not Microsoft employees (not even those of us with "Microsoft MVP" behind our names; that's an honorary title for having provided consistently helpful advice) except for an occasional Microsoft contractor or employee.

If you want to complain to Microsoft about something, please contact them directly. Trying to do it here is just a waste of (figurative) breath, and clutters up the forum.

Ken Blake, Dec 30, 2015
  5. Leopard Win User
    Your smart fridge determines that you are getting low on butter and milk and sends you ADVERTISEMENTS to your smartphone or PC for the brands that you do not use. Your smart washer and dryer does the same for detergent and fabric softner sheets. Your smart TV knows what you watch and what you buy, 'cos it communicated with your other smart appliances, so you will get personalized ADVERTISEMENTS streaming across your screen while you watch your favorite TV shows or personally owned home movies. Your smart car can be hacked by a misguided teenager standing on an overpass. Your brakes are suddenly applied for no reason, or your ignition is turned off while you are driving at highway speed surrounded by trucks and family sedans. Your smart house security system passwords have been changed by some low life basement dweller and you are locked out of your house. You then find the same low life has just hacked your car security. A ransom might be on its way. Get out your wallet. Your smart toaster now costs three times as much as dumb toaster 'cos it sends you text messages on dating sites, pimple cream and male enhacement pills while you eat your breakfast. It takes just one IOT device on your WiFi system to get hit with a botnet and they are all infected. Log on to your PC, smartphone or tablet and viola, you are screwed. Fun getting out of this one. Consider a metered ISP connection - IOT devices constantly feeding at your expense. For what? To primarily get you to buy stuff. We are being led to believe that IOT will be purely for the benefit of the user, e.g. a heart monitor, a baby monitor, a lost child locator. They are intended to provide real time feedback or used as an alert system. We applaud the application of this technlogy to these type of devices but unfortunately they are so easily hacked. Adequate security has been bypassed just to get these products 'connected ready' and to market. What is so smart about IOT ? right now, not so much.

Leopard, Dec 30, 2015
  6. Winuser Win User
    I take it you don't want your fridge to send you a text telling you to stop at the store because you only have 1 eggs and a half a glass of milk left. Or your tooth brush texting your dentist because you only brushed your teeth once yesterday. *Smile

Winuser, Dec 31, 2015
  7. Leopard Win User
    The underlying OS for IOT will probably be Android based. IOT embodies a wide spectrum of machines ranging from sensors powered by 8-bit microcontrollers to devices powered by processors equivalent to those found in smartphones.

Leopard, Dec 31, 2015
  8. Microsoft employee attempts to clear up confusion around IoT

Linux is used for some IoT devices. Arduino's, Raspberry Pi's etc. Pi's use ARM processors. Pi's currently won't run Android. A port was started but fizzled out. I'm not sure what code Windows 10 IoT is based on. I've loaded it up a couple of times but its so restrictive in what you can do, well what I can do with it anyway. I'm not a programmer of developer so its pretty useless for me.

alphanumeric, Dec 31, 2015
  9. Leopard Win User
    ‘Windows 10 IoT Core’ is designed for the smaller connected device. The more M2M-style devices such as ATMs, will be powered by Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise according to Microsoft. ARM is going with a combination proprietary and open source OS. Attracting developers may prove a challenge. It should be noted that ARM has never produced an OS before.

Open source code, with Android and FreeRTOS currently leading at around 35%.

Huawei says it will introduce an OS at just 10 kilobytes called ‘LiteOS’ primarily for wearables and cars. It will be "opened to all developers" to allow them to quickly create their own smart products and it supports "zero configuration, auto-discovery, and auto-networking.".

Leopard, Jan 1, 2016
  10. I'm running Raspbian on my Pi's. It's customized to run on the ARM processor. Based on Debian I believe. I have loaded 10 IoT on my Pi, but that's about it. Just to have a look see. It's not Windows 10, they can call it that but it has no similarity to what you run on a PC. I have the Sense Hat for my Pi and have been playing around with the temp, pressure, humidity sensors. Just displaying it locally on the Pi though. I'm not even remotely close to setting it up as a IoT device. I'm not sure if I want to? Looks like a lot of work, for somebody like me with almost no coding skills.

alphanumeric, Jan 1, 2016
  11. Leopard Win User
  12. alphanumeric, Jan 1, 2016
  13. Microsoft employee attempts to clear up confusion around IoT

IoT should be banned, until the "powers that be" eliminate all malware and hackers from the standard Internet.

At the very least, life-destroying fines should be levied against the BoD of IoT companies that have their products hacked.

lehnerus2000, Jan 2, 2016
  14. Good luck with that. Sometimes the "powers that be" are the hackers.

alphanumeric, Jan 2, 2016
  15. Indeed.

The "Acronym Agencies" are probably lobbying politicians to make it mandatory for all IoT products to have "Swiss Cheese" security.

lehnerus2000, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft employee attempts to clear up confusion around IoT - Similar Threads - Microsoft employee attempts

2. Unprofessional Microsoft Employees

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unprofessional Microsoft Employees: I am curious as to why your employee closed my service request just after I explained my issue. I took screenshots of the interaction, including the opening and closing of my unaddressed service request. Seems rather unprofessional, Mr. Fuldrick. A quick search online shows...
  3. Unprofessional Microsoft Employees

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unprofessional Microsoft Employees: I am curious as to why your employee closed my service request just after I explained my issue. I took screenshots of the interaction, including the opening and closing of my unaddressed service request. Seems rather unprofessional, Mr. Fuldrick. A quick search online shows...
  4. employees at Microsoft

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    employees at Microsoft: I'm not going to ask you again to stop maliciously controlling my account... preventing me from logging in, preventing me for remote playing, accessing my account through some weird method so I have to change my password every time you do it no one else has access to my...
  5. Setting up an employee's computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up an employee's computer: I am trying to set up a new laptop which has Windows 11 for a new employee. I don't want to use my or their personal Microsoft account but I cannot set it up with a work account as the primary account. How can I register this as an organization computer with an employee as...
  6. Setting up an employee's computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting up an employee's computer: I am trying to set up a new laptop which has Windows 11 for a new employee. I don't want to use my or their personal Microsoft account but I cannot set it up with a work account as the primary account. How can I register this as an organization computer with an employee as...
  7. Around 14.9 GB of Updates Taking Up Primary SSD, Unable to Clear

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Around 14.9 GB of Updates Taking Up Primary SSD, Unable to Clear: Is there any way to delete the 14.9 GB of storage taken up by Updates? I have tried clearing the other Temporary files on my computer, but they do not change the 14.9 GB taken up by some Updates. I have tried clearing the C:\$WINDOWS.~BT and C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution...
  8. Microsoft Accounts confusion and Outlook confusion

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Accounts confusion and Outlook confusion: A Account confusion: I had to re-install Windows 10 and Microsoft 365 for the third time as for various reasons my new PC had to be reset to factory settings twice. Having a MS account using my e-mail address call it here #1 at the 3rd install was not accepted. Trying #2...
  9. Microsoft to clear KiB vs KB (etc) confusion anytime soon?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft to clear KiB vs KB (etc) confusion anytime soon?: Gents, With Microsoft seemingly becoming more open to playing other players in the software industry, including supporting and getting involved with open-source project, as well as adapting and using other operating systems, isn't it about time they fixed the confusion...
  10. Need some confusion cleared up about migrating to a new system.

in Windows 10 Support
    Need some confusion cleared up about migrating to a new system.: So I've made the mistake of upgrading to 10 on two of my systems when I had the intention of building a new computer this winter and cycling them so I'm stuck in a bit of a predicament. Basically, I own a recording studio and one of the things I do is cycle my computers as...