Windows 10: Microsoft employee says Windows 10 free upgrade still works for Windows 7/8.1

Discus and support Microsoft employee says Windows 10 free upgrade still works for Windows 7/8.1 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft officially ended support for Windows 7 in January 2020 and security updates are now released for enterprise customers with extended support... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Mar 17, 2021.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft employee says Windows 10 free upgrade still works for Windows 7/8.1

Microsoft officially ended support for Windows 7 in January 2020 and security updates are now released for enterprise customers with extended support only. To increase the market share of Windows 10 and help users avoid becoming vulnerable to exploits, Microsoft is still allowing users to upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

If you are running on Windows 7/8.1 or you have a spare license of the retired operating system, you can take advantage of Windows 10 free upgrade loophole, according to a new forum post from Microsoft.

“Yes, you can,” a Microsoft employee told a user when they asked about Windows 10 free upgrade offer. According to our tests, Windows 10 free upgrade loophole works only when your Windows 7/8.1 license key is valid.

If you’re on Windows 8, you need to upgrade to Windows 8.1, and then upgrade the machine to Windows 10 for free using Microsoft’s own Windows Media Creation Tool.

How to get Windows 10 for free

To get Windows 10 for free, you need to download and install Windows Media Creation Tool on a device/virtual machine where Windows 7/8.1 is already activated. Once done, open the tool and make sure that you select the option that lets you keep all files and applications.

According to Microsoft, doing a fresh install via the Media Creation Tool may not get you Windows 10 for free.

“Doing a fresh install via the Media Creation Tool may not get you Windows 10 for free, so be careful,” the employee warned.

The Media Creation Tool will automatically scan your PC for compatibility issues and install Windows 10 with a digitally activated license.

Why Windows 10 free upgrade loophole still works?

On Reddit, a self-proclaimed Microsoft engineer previously revealed that Windows 10’s free upgrade deal was “marketing fluff” and the compare cares more about upgrade stats.

So it seems that Windows 10 upgrade loophole won’t be closed anytime soon, but remember that a successful activation of Windows 10 is not entirely the same as a legal license, especially if you’re an enterprise customer.

The post Microsoft employee says Windows 10 free upgrade still works for Windows 7/8.1 appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Mar 17, 2021

2. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Mar 17, 2021
  3. windows 7 8 or 10

We can kick Windows 8.1 to the curb right away. Windows 10, in tablet mode, is effectively identical...not that I would recommend using tablet mode.

The only advantage Windows 8.1 has over Windows 10 is Windows Media Center. Windows 10 doesn't have it and likely will never support it. Microsoft wants you to buy an Xbox One and use that, instead of your computer, for media, and then stream it to your Windows 10 machine from the Xbox One. Windows Media Center on 7 seems to not be getting updates anymore (worked off of Vista guide info which shut down). Windows Media Center on 8.1 costs $10 to upgrade on Pro or $100 to upgrade on Home.

The Windows 7 upgrade (should still work for about 10 months yet) requires:
    1) Install Windows 7.
    2) Activate Windows 7.
    3) Upgrade to Windows 10.
    4) Activate Windows 10.
    At this point, you could either stay with Windows 10 or downgrade to Windows 7 by doing a clean install.

Personally, I would go with Windows 10. It has some bugs but it is pretty good overall.

FordGT90Concept, Mar 17, 2021
  4. pigulici Win User

How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Yes, still work, no need to call, just be sure to have internet access when you start to install 10, I work at pc shop and did this few days ago, used a key of 7 to put clean 10(wasn't used for upgrade).

pigulici, Mar 17, 2021
Thema:

1. Microsoft employee says Windows 10 free upgrade still works for Windows 7/8.1 - Similar Threads - Microsoft employee says

2. what is the fee to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? Is this upgrade still free?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what is the fee to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? Is this upgrade still free?: what is the fee to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? Is this upgrade still free?According to what i have found, MY PC should be able to accommodate the upgrade as it has a 1.8 GHz Processor, 6GB of Ram, 64 Bit processor and 700 GB HD....
  3. what is the fee to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? Is this upgrade still free?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what is the fee to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? Is this upgrade still free?: what is the fee to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? Is this upgrade still free?According to what i have found, MY PC should be able to accommodate the upgrade as it has a 1.8 GHz Processor, 6GB of Ram, 64 Bit processor and 700 GB HD....
  4. what is the fee to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? Is this upgrade still free?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Is it still possible to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for Free ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it still possible to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for Free ?: I got one Windows 7, but I don't know, if I can upgrade it to Windows 10 for free any more.I just want confirmation. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-still-possible-to-upgrade-windows-7-to/6024c546-7331-4237-8ad5-89c4751790d5
  6. Is it still possible to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for Free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it still possible to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for Free ?: I got one Windows 7, but I don't know, if I can upgrade it to Windows 10 for free any more.I just want confirmation. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-still-possible-to-upgrade-windows-7-to/6024c546-7331-4237-8ad5-89c4751790d5
  7. Is it still possible to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for Free ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Here’s why free upgrade for Windows 7 still works

in Windows 10 News
    Here’s why free upgrade for Windows 7 still works: On January 14, 2020, Microsoft ended the life of Windows 7, one of its greatest operating systems ever. You can still run your computer, but it won’t receive monthly rollups, security updates, or emergency patches. This means any critical bugs found in Windows 7 won’t get...
  9. Can windows 7 still free upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can windows 7 still free upgrade to Windows 10: Dear Experts, Can i confirm that , as of now are we still able free upgrade windows 7 to windows 10 ... i just tested a few machines, used the product key from the sticker Windows 7 Product Key and try activate, it was success .... is this the right way or please...
  10. Windows 10 free upgrade is still available using Windows 7 and 8 keys

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 free upgrade is still available using Windows 7 and 8 keys: In spite of the official end of the free Windows 10 update offer on July 29, it seems any valid Windows 7/8.x retail product key still installs Windows 10 for now. Yes, Microsoft officials insisted and insisted again that after July 29 at 11:59 p.m. UTC, the free Windows...