Windows 10: Microsoft explains the lack of Registry backups in Windows 10

Discus and support Microsoft explains the lack of Registry backups in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; We noticed back in October 2018 that Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system was not creating Registry backups anymore. The scheduled task to create... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jun 29, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft explains the lack of Registry backups in Windows 10

We noticed back in October 2018 that Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system was not creating Registry backups anymore.

The scheduled task to create the backups was still running and the run result indicated that the operation completed successfully, but Registry backups were not created anymore.

Previous versions of Windows 10 created these backups and placed them in the C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack folder. The backups could be used to restore the Windows Registry to an earlier state.

Microsoft explains the lack of Registry backups in Windows 10 windows-10-no-registry-backup.png

Microsoft published a new support page recently that brings light into the darkness. The company notes that the change is by-design and thus not a bug. The change was implemented in Windows 10 version 1803 and all newer versions of Windows 10 are affected by it.

Microsoft made the change to reduce the size of Windows on the system.

Starting in Windows 10, version 1803, Windows no longer automatically backs up the system registry to the RegBack folder. If you browse to to the \Windows\System32\config\RegBack folder in Windows Explorer, you will still see each registry hive, but each file is 0kb in size.

This change is by design, and is intended to help reduce the overall disk footprint size of Windows. To recover a system with a corrupt registry hive, Microsoft recommends that you use a system restore point.

Microsoft explains the lack of Registry backups in Windows 10 registry-enable-backup.png

The Registry backup option has been disabled but not removed according to Microsoft. Administrators who would like to restore the functionality may do so by changing the value of a Registry key:

1. Open the Start menu, type regedit.exe, and select the Registry Editor entry from the list of results.
    2. Navigate to the following key: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Configuration Manager\
    3. Right-click on Configuration Manager and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value.
    4. Name it EnablePeriodicBackup.
    5. Double-click on it after creation and set its value to 1.
    6. Restart the PC.

Windows 10 will backup the Registry again from that point on.

Windows backs up the registry to the RegBack folder when the computer restarts, and creates a RegIdleBackup task to manage subsequent backups.

We have created two Registry files to enable and disable automatic Registry backups on Windows 10. You can download them with a click on the following link: Windows 10 Automatic Registry Backup Script

Closing Words

The backups may be handy even though they occupy some space on the device. It is generally recommended to use a third-party backup solution as well, e.g. Paragon Backup & Recovery Free, Macrium Reflect, or other drive backup programs.

Now You: Do you have a backup strategy? (via Deskmodder)

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks)). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft explains the lack of Registry backups in Windows 10 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jun 29, 2019

2. Microsoft Selects Dolby Audio for Windows 10

it would've been great if microsoft added HEVC decoders, LAV filters along with other codecs with Windows 10, and developing WMP to be better than VLC, KMPlayer and such sorts of media players.

Nevertheless, this is good step for microsoft, by far.

Analog_Interface, Jun 29, 2019
  3. Bokenzhe Win User
    Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• Microsoft explains the lack of Registry backups in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, Jun 29, 2019
  4. Jerry8AB Win User

Registry Backup - Question

Registry Backup

I am reading a book, Windows 10 Anniversary Update. It makes these two statements.

• File History also keeps a copy of your Registry.
    • Every time you start your computer, it makes a backup copy of that Registry.
    Where and how do I find these copies?

Thanks,

Jerry

5/29/17

Jerry8AB, Jun 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Microsoft explains the lack of Registry backups in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft explains lack

2. Registry Backups

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Registry Backups: Based on a lot of Googling and information from this forum I created the below batch file to backup my Windows 10 registry from an elevated cmd prompt. Everything is working perfectly but I have a question on what I'm backing up. Are there other registry hives/locations that...
  3. Registry Backup & Restore

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Registry Backup & Restore: After becoming disenchanted with the Windows Restore Point methodology, I’ve started taking manual registry backups using ‘RegEdit’. My query is that if I need to restore from one of these backups, does it completely replace the current contents of the registry, or, does...
  4. Windows 10 Registry BackUp / Security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Registry BackUp / Security: Over the last few releases of Windows 10, I have become very disenchanted using 'Restore Points' as a backup for my PC's registry; although having sufficient reserved space for them they inevitably get deleted a few - inconsistent - days leaving without workable registry...
  5. Registry backup.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry backup.: Hi… I'm writing for help; I need to back up my computer registry in Windows 10. In an informative way, what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-backup/dd995970-3925-4591-b11b-6d5f49ea968f
  6. Microsoft explains the lack of Registry backups in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft explains the lack of Registry backups in Windows 10: We noticed back in October 2018 that Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system was not creating Registry backups anymore. The scheduled task to create the backups was still running and the run result indicated that the operation completed successfully, but Registry backups...
  7. Microsoft makes changes to automatic Registry backup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft makes changes to automatic Registry backup in Windows 10: Windows Registry holds tweaks for almost everything. You can use it to customize your Windows experience and unlock hidden features like Windows 10 Immersive search. While Registry is a handy tool, mistakes when editing it can cause a lot of issues, including booting and...
  8. Backup Registry Hives

Backup Registry Hives: As many of us knows that latest version of Windows 10 won't backup registry hives which could be needed when Windows 10 won't boot because of registry errors. I have created batch script for backing up registry hives this batch script will create two folders at root of C:...
  9. Backup Registry Hives

in Windows 10 Support
    Backup Registry Hives: As many of us knows that latest version of Windows 10 won't backup registry hives which could be needed when Windows 10 won't boot because of registry errors. I have created batch script for backing up registry hives this batch script will create two folders at root of C:...
  10. Is it necessary to backup the registry?

Is it necessary to backup the registry?: When I used Windows 7, I used a program called RegBak to backup the registry. You could even restore the registry with it if the system didn't boot. I also found this article, How to restore Registry from its secret backup on Windows 10, but my "secret backup" is empty. I...