Windows 10: Microsoft explains the Windows 7 KMS activation issue

Discus and support Microsoft explains the Windows 7 KMS activation issue in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Some Microsoft customers started to report activation issues that they experienced on Windows 7 devices on January 8, 2019, after installation of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jan 11, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft explains the Windows 7 KMS activation issue

Some Microsoft customers started to report activation issues that they experienced on Windows 7 devices on January 8, 2019, after installation of the latest security updates for the operating system.

Microsoft updated the list of known issues quickly to highlight the issue but did not provide explanation other than that.

Administrators had to find a way to work around the issue elsewhere, and the article that we published here on this site helped several administrators.

Microsoft published a new support article, KB4487266, on January 10, 2019 that explains the activation issue and provides a solution to fix it.

Microsoft confirmed the activation issue on Windows 7 KMS clients that have the update KB971033 installed. The issue started on January 8, 2019 at 10:00 UTC and lasted until January 9, 2019 when Microsoft "reverted a change" that it made to Microsoft Activation and Validation servers.

Microsoft made a change to Microsoft Activation and Validation that caused the activation issue on Windows 7 KMS devices. Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise editions were affected by the issue (and probably any other edition using Key Management Service activation).

Microsoft notes that the issue was not caused by the release of security updates for Windows 7 in January 2019.

Microsoft explains the Windows 7 KMS activation issue windows-not-genuine.jpg

Systems displayed a "Windows is not genuine" error message after log on and enforced non-genuine changes to the system; in particular, a notification on the desktop that the copy of Windows is not genuine and the enforcing of a black desktop background.

The command slmgr /dlv, a command to display detailed license information, displays the error code 0xC004F200 in the output when run. Similarly, attempts to activate using slmgr /ato fail with the error message "Windows is running within the non-genuine notification period. Run ‘slui.exe’ to go online and validate Windows".

Administrators may find the following events in the Event log:

• ID 8196 -- License Activation Scheduler (sppuinotify.dll) was not able to automatically activate. Error code: 0xC004F200:
    • ID 8208 -- Acquisition of genuine ticket failed
    • ID 8209 -- Acquisition of genuine ticket failed
    • ID 13 -- Genuine validation result: hrOffline = 0x00000000, hrOnline =0xC004C4A2

Microsoft published a resolution to fix the issue on devices that still show up as non genuine. The company recommends that administrators remove KB971033 from affected devices and run the following commands if that is the case:

1. Open an elevated command prompt and run: wusa /uninstall /kb:971033
    2. Restart the PC.
    3. Run the following commands from an elevated command prompt:
    4. net stop sppuinotify
    5. sc config sppuinotify start= disabled
    6. net stop sppsvc
    7. del %windir%\system32\7B296FB0-376B-497e-B012-9C450E1B7327-5P-0.C7483456-A289-439d-8115-601632D005A0 /ah
    8. del %windir%\system32\7B296FB0-376B-497e-B012-9C450E1B7327-5P-1.C7483456-A289-439d-8115-601632D005A0 /ah
    9. del %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\tokens.dat
    10. del %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\cache\cache.dat
    11. net start sppsvc
    12. cscript c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk <edition-specific KMS client key>
    13. cscript c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato
    14. sc config sppuinotify start= demand

The edition specific KMS keys are:

Operating system edition KMS Client Setup Key
    Windows 7 Professional FJ82H-XT6CR-J8D7P-XQJJ2-GPDD4
    Windows 7 Professional N MRPKT-YTG23-K7D7T-X2JMM-QY7MG
    Windows 7 Professional E W82YF-2Q76Y-63HXB-FGJG9-GF7QX
    Windows 7 Enterprise 33PXH-7Y6KF-2VJC9-XBBR8-HVTHH
    Windows 7 Enterprise N YDRBP-3D83W-TY26F-D46B2-XCKRJ
    Windows 7 Enterprise E
    C29WB-22CC8-VJ326-GHFJW-H9DH4

Closing Words

Administrators who have not resolved the issue until now can do so using Microsoft's fix. It is puzzling that something that major could remain undetected. (via Born)

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft explains the Windows 7 KMS activation issue appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jan 11, 2019

2. Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Microsoft explains the Windows 7 KMS activation issue [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Jan 11, 2019
  3. kokonote Win User
    Does Windows 7 Home Premium Editon can be activated by KMS ?

Hello

As I Know, windows 7 professional and enterprise editions can be activated by KMS.

Those two editions have KMS Client Keys.

There is no key for Windows 7 Home premium in below link.

KMS client setup keys

But in our KMS infra, Windows 7 Home Premium was activated by KMS.

Is this normal status?

Thanks in advance.

kokonote, Jan 11, 2019
  4. v12dock Win User

Windows 7 Activation Problem

Call Microsoft tell them your having problems activating windows and you installed it on ONE computer, they will get the issue fixed for you

v12dock, Jan 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Microsoft explains the Windows 7 KMS activation issue - Similar Threads - Microsoft explains KMS

2. Activating KMS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating KMS: Hello,I have set up KMS on my Windows 2019 Server. I opened the Volume Activation tools, and selected Active Directory-Based Activation as I want the Windows 10/11 key for all workstations. I then put in the KMS key that I have and it activated.But it still does not seem to...
  3. Activating KMS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activating KMS: Hello,I have set up KMS on my Windows 2019 Server. I opened the Volume Activation tools, and selected Active Directory-Based Activation as I want the Windows 10/11 key for all workstations. I then put in the KMS key that I have and it activated.But it still does not seem to...
  4. Remove KMS Activation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove KMS Activation: Sorry if my english is badRecently, out of curiosity and for experimenting, i activated my windows against a kms server which i found on youtube. I already have a windows 11 pro digital license and i know how to get it back. I opened cmd as administrator and typed slmgr.vbs...
  5. KMS Activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KMS Activation: Hello,I've activated Windows 10 on my new PC using my company's KMS activation server. Can my Boss or IT administrators track my activities or change anything on my PC? I used command prompt to connect to the KMS server and install volume license key....
  6. KMS activation

KMS activation: Sorry for my bad english, I am a bulgarian So, when i first got my laptop and I installed windows 10 on it I activted it with KMS with cmd. Its a way to pirate windows 10 but i dont do it because i realised that its wrong. Anyway, i bought a legit key for windows 10 but now i...
  7. Activating Windows with KMS tools

Activating Windows with KMS tools: Hi there! There are a lot of KMS programms that activate Windows OS and Microsoft Office. If anybody knows about KMS tools, can you tell me how it works, what actually KMS tools and is it legal or not? Also I wanna ask about free Windows activation keys. What if I activate...
  8. msguides kms activation

msguides kms activation: Hello, i recently activate my windows 10 with a msguides kms server but i am afraid of it being a spyware and i want to deactivated and get back to normal but after deactivating with slmgr /upk and slmgr /cpky it comes back some hours after. How can i delete it completely and...
  9. is windows kms activation safe?

is windows kms activation safe?: is it safe to activate windows with kms? cause I friend of mine activated my windows and told me that he activated with kms the site in the kms was : msguides is that safe? like can it see your information or accounts?...
  10. KMS Activation threshold

KMS Activation threshold: I am looking into setting up a KMS server vs using a MAK for a small (<100 clients) offline network of PCs with Win10 and Office 2016. I did a lot of web searching (Bing, obviously) but still have a few questions that I was not able to find answers to that I was hoping...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. net stop sppuinotify ghacks

2. microsoft windows 7 activation problem