Windows 10: Microsoft Explains When You Need a Windows 10 Product Key and When You

Discus and support Microsoft Explains When You Need a Windows 10 Product Key and When You in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; With Windows 10, Microsoft introduced a new activation system called digital entitlement that allows users to upgrade from an older operating system,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Sep 27, 2015.

1. labeeman Win User

Microsoft Explains When You Need a Windows 10 Product Key and When You

Source

labeeman, Sep 27, 2015
  2. davexnet Win User

My scenario was a little different. I installed an early insider build, about 6 months ago, into an empty partition.
    No qualifying older OS. The system was activated and continued to be through later builds.
    Eventually build 10240 appeared, and then the next insider build. So far so good.

Then an unrelated problem arose and I was forced to do an OS reset through the GUI. After Windows rebuilt itself
    it had dropped back to 10240 and I was no longer an insider, yet the OS was still permanently activated.

Later I rejoined the insider program and I'm running well on the latest insider build. My case seems closest to example 4 you mentioned. If I had left it as-is after the reset to 10240, would it have fallen out of activation after 30 days?

:)

davexnet, Sep 27, 2015
  3. Do you need a product key if you are upgrading from Windows 7/8.1 Update

I was wondering if you need a product ley if you were upgrading from Windows 7/8.1 Update. If so where do you find the product key.

CarterTempleton, Sep 27, 2015
  4. Microsoft Explains When You Need a Windows 10 Product Key and When You

Do you need a product key if you are upgrading from Windows 7/8.1 Update

No product key required.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Sep 27, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    I don't understand how this can work without a key since it implies you can buy Windows 10 from the store (any store or just the Microsoft store?) and Clean Install with it and it will activate without you entering the key. Is there some kind of pre-activation or registration done on what you buy?

I think what is missing is that the computer you are installing on has to have been previously activated as a Windows 10 system. If so then this is no different than using MCT to download a Windows 10 ISO to Clean Install with and that makes sense.

Ztruker, Sep 27, 2015
  6. rbmorse Win User
    I bought Windows 10 Pro through the store. I got an activation key in the receipt. Installed to a new self-built computer (i.e., no prior O/S installed). Entered the activation key code when prompted. Windows activated.

From the article I gather that were I to perform a clean installation of Windows 10 on the same hardware for some reason, I would not have to enter the activation code again...that the installation would be recognized as legitimate via the electronic entitlement.

I have not tried this myself.

rbmorse, Sep 27, 2015
  7. DooGie Win User
    "(manual re-activation is needed when you make significant changes to your PC configuration, such as replacing the motherboard)."

That's the statement I've been waiting for, up until this a lot of users were under the impression they would have to purchse a copy of Windows 10 if they significantly updated their PC. It appears not.
    Good to hear as I'm planning on a new motherboard, CPU and SSD early next year. Have to see if it works without having to make a phonecall to MS support.

DooGie, Sep 27, 2015
  8. Lebon14 Win User

Link doesn't work. It's just the same text but in a URL tag.

Lebon14, Sep 27, 2015
  9. No Problem with the Link. Works for me!

Cluster Head, Sep 27, 2015
  10. Ztruker Win User
    I find the wording ambiguous at best. It should say:

This means that, even if you purchased Windows 10 from the store, you are allowed to clean-install once the purchased Windows 10 has been installed and activated, without the need for the product key. You can re-install as many times as you want and re-activation should be performed all automatically.

The way it reads now, at least the article above, it sounds like you can clean install the purchased Windows 10 immediately and that is not true.

Edit:
    Or change clean-install to clean-reinstall and all is well *Smile

Ztruker, Sep 28, 2015
  11. BillyBob Win User
    I'm not sure if it would work in the case you stated, as it's virtually a new computer, replacing the motherboard is different to buying a completely new motherboard and CPU as well as a new SSD.
    I hope it works for you but I'm not sure, maybe someone else can add a bit more light to the subject.

BillyBob, Sep 28, 2015
  12. BillyBob Win User
    I think it is worded wrong for sure.

BillyBob, Sep 28, 2015
  13. Microsoft Explains When You Need a Windows 10 Product Key and When You

What I'd like to know is, if you install with a Product Code and then activate, does it then become a digital entitlement? Or do you have to enter that product code every time you clean install? I'm going to test it out at some point but likely not for a while. I did the free upgrade on all 4 of my home PC's. And I'm not building a new system until Christmas. All my current systems already have a digital entitlement to 10 Pro.

alphanumeric, Sep 28, 2015
  14. If you change the mobo you will need a retail key to activate Windows 10. The license dies with the old mobo.

Cbarnhorst, Sep 28, 2015
  15. lx07 Win User
    Yes it does. No need to re-enter.

No you do not.

You can if you want but there is no need - it is only the first time you activate with that hardware. That can be through the initial install (using a purchased key) or by changing the key on an existing install (upgrade from Home to Pro or swapping the generic upgrade to a retail one for example). After that you can enter your key or not as you wish - it activates anyway.

I swapped one license from VirtualBox to Hyper-V. Then I had to reactivate (obviously in retrospect as the hardware had changed). This was done automatically by the slui 4 robot.

Thema:

1. Microsoft Explains When You Need a Windows 10 Product Key and When You - Similar Threads - Microsoft Explains Need

2. Do you really need a product key to use Windows 10?

in Windows 10 News
    Do you really need a product key to use Windows 10?: Windows 10 is approaching the end of its life. The illustrious operating system was launched in 2015 and is set to reach the end of its support phase in October 2025. That means that Windows 10 has less than three years of viability left. However, the old girl still has life...
  3. Does Microsoft Support call you when you are in chat with them?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Does Microsoft Support call you when you are in chat with them?: I have been going crazy trying to find out why my pc feels so insecure...I have reinstalled Win 10 what feels like a million times, fiddled with Windows Defender Firewall settings, Network Adapter Settings, blocking apps, turning off what apps can access what, etc etc etc. I...
  4. Do you need a product key ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Do you need a product key ?: If you need Windows 10 keys, contact me. I can give you link/Otherwise email you to buy Windows 10 license keys for low prices. Windows 10 PRO OEM for 1 PCLifetime - $25 Windows 10 PRO OEM for 2 PCLifetime - $40 Windows 10 HOME CD key for 1 PCLifetime - $25 Windows...
  5. Why, when you need it most, it will let you down?(MS Store)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why, when you need it most, it will let you down?(MS Store): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/yurieu1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iwgdjr/why_when_you_need_it_most_it_will_let_you_downms/
  6. Reactivating a reinstall of Windows 10 with a product key when you have more than one key

Reactivating a reinstall of Windows 10 with a product key when you have more than one key: I purchased two Windows 10 Pro product keys for my two laptops. One of them I need to do a wipe and reinstall. How can I tell what product key is being used for each laptop?...
  7. where do you get a windows 10 product key?

where do you get a windows 10 product key?: My hard drive died and how do I fined my Windows 10 product key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-do-you-get-a-windows-10-product-key/cdb04849-29e1-46fc-bbb2-57513e209fef"
  8. Hi Microsoft. Can you explain this?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hi Microsoft. Can you explain this?: I was easily playing GTA game and this ruined my whole play. [ATTACH] I was even playing offline. Don't know why it keeps happening every other day. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-microsoft-can-you-explain-this/a1721889-eeb9-46c0-95c3-9d53e06e65fd
  9. Microsoft, when are you going to fix Bluetooth in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft, when are you going to fix Bluetooth in Windows 10?: Like the title says, do you plan to make Bluetooth work any time soon in Windows 10? That would be a great feature to have especially when it has been out for more than 20 years now. Don't bother replying to this with your all-in-one DIY step by step methods to solve the...
  10. When will you fix this!?

in Windows 10 Customization
    When will you fix this!?: Description Faulting application name: MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe, version: 11.0.17763.1, time stamp: 0x90f701bc Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000 Exception code: 0xc0000409 Fault offset: 0x0000000000000203 Faulting process id: 0x960 Faulting...