Windows 10: Microsoft Explains When You Need a Windows 10 Product Key and When You

Discus and support Microsoft Explains When You Need a Windows 10 Product Key and When You in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If you change the mobo you will need a retail key to activate Windows 10. The license dies with the old mobo. It all depends on how the Windows 10 key... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Sep 27, 2015.

1. DooGie Win User

Microsoft Explains When You Need a Windows 10 Product Key and When You

It all depends on how the Windows 10 key is generated from an upgrade to the OS you were previously running.
    No one has actually stated yet whether upgrading a retail version of Windows 7 or 8 is different from upgrading an OEM version.
    It'll be interesting to try it out.

DooGie, Sep 28, 2015

2. The resulting license is different. The upgrade inherits the rights of the qualifying OS. Here are the Windows licenses from an upgraded retail license and an upgraded OEM license (viewed with "winver". I blotted out the first grantee because it contains my email addy. If the user is the grantee he has the right to move the Windows 10 license to a new computer. If the grantee is the OEM the license can only be transferred with the device. Both are digital entitlements.

Microsoft Explains When You Need a Windows 10 Product Key and When You [​IMG]

Microsoft Explains When You Need a Windows 10 Product Key and When You [​IMG]

Cbarnhorst, Sep 28, 2015
  3. lx07 Win User
    Actually, no. The owner shown on winver is simply the first user to go through the OOBE. If you run sysprep on either of the above, create a new user called "Fred" you will see on winver that the owner is now "Fred".

winver (and slmgr) show no (known) difference between upgrades from earlier versions and Win 10 keys.

Most likely the hash lodged with MS is a combination of the hardware (motherboard, NIC etc) and the underlying license (whether it was OEM, retail or insider) and perhaps the original key.

As no-one has decoded it though, no-one outside MS knows - and they certainly aren't saying.

4. Microsoft Explains When You Need a Windows 10 Product Key and When You

I did an upgrade from 7 OEM to 10, then did a clean install. Licensed to on that PC shows

Microsoft
    Microsoft

alphanumeric, Sep 28, 2015
  5. It doesn't matter. The Windows 10 license inherits the rights of the qualifying license at the time of the upgrade.

Cbarnhorst, Sep 28, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    What are you basing this assertion on? It isn't how it works for me.

If you upgrade Windows 7 or 8 to ten you can NOT transfer to another PC without talking to MS techs as the PID is not recognized by the phone activation robot.. The PIDs generated by upgrades are never accepted by the phone activation system irrespective of what you upgraded from (OEM or retail).

However a retail 10 Pro with a key you CAN transfer to another PC using only the phone activation robot as the PID is accepted.

7. DooGie Win User
    DooGie, Sep 28, 2015
  8. Microsoft Explains When You Need a Windows 10 Product Key and When You

Cbarnhorst, Sep 28, 2015
  9. DooGie Win User

DooGie, Sep 28, 2015
    Cbarnhorst, Sep 28, 2015
  11. Well that's not necessarily true. Sometime activation fails when non-significant changes are made and the way to correct the activaion error is to call MS.

orlbuckeye, Sep 29, 2015
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

there is ONE LEGAL way of getting a W10 activation on a new computer if you change the Mobo etc.

Do the following --it worked for me (I changed from a computer with AMD CPU that was dying to a brand new Intel Mobo with HD graphics and INTEL CPU).

1) Re-install my old W7 Ultimate (retail) on the new computer, upgrade all the fixes and then activate. Activation by phone was OK -the Robot actually worked OK -- made me enter a set of numbers but no probs.

2) Backup the newly installed W7 system (always do that in case of problems / or to recover a working OS).

3) do the W10 upgrade using the upgrade tool. Skip the serial number prompt

4) The W10 system will now be activated.

5) Now Backup again - just in case activation is lost. (Backup the w10 system).

6) Clean install --Hey presto it's activated.

On RETAIL W7 you CAN move to a new computer -- and from there you can get the W10 upgrade FREE.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 29, 2015
  13. gzt7d8 Win User

"Once the upgrade is complete, the system automatically activates (assuming you were running a genuine version of Windows 7 or 8.1), with Microsoft then allowing you to clean-install without asking for a product key anymore."

This statement in the article is un-true for me...it didn't work as they printed it. I have screen shots of an activated Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 after I did the upgrade; but the clean install would not activate and Microsoft Support didn't help me. I even asked to get my case escalated to an engineer and that was refused.

What a headache this has been for me.

gzt7d8, Sep 30, 2015
  14. When you did the clean install, did you install the correct version? For example, if you got 10 Home with the free upgrade, but install Pro, or the N version, that will happen.

alphanumeric, Sep 30, 2015
  15. I had that problem before, luckily phone activation did it through for me (thru Robot call). If it didn't, I would have insulted Microsoft's real CS lol.

trashcanbin10, Sep 30, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft Explains When You Need a Windows 10 Product Key and When You - Similar Threads - Microsoft Explains Need

2. Do you really need a product key to use Windows 10?

in Windows 10 News
    Do you really need a product key to use Windows 10?: Windows 10 is approaching the end of its life. The illustrious operating system was launched in 2015 and is set to reach the end of its support phase in October 2025. That means that Windows 10 has less than three years of viability left. However, the old girl still has life...
  3. Does Microsoft Support call you when you are in chat with them?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Does Microsoft Support call you when you are in chat with them?: I have been going crazy trying to find out why my pc feels so insecure...I have reinstalled Win 10 what feels like a million times, fiddled with Windows Defender Firewall settings, Network Adapter Settings, blocking apps, turning off what apps can access what, etc etc etc. I...
  4. Do you need a product key ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Do you need a product key ?: If you need Windows 10 keys, contact me. I can give you link/Otherwise email you to buy Windows 10 license keys for low prices. Windows 10 PRO OEM for 1 PCLifetime - $25 Windows 10 PRO OEM for 2 PCLifetime - $40 Windows 10 HOME CD key for 1 PCLifetime - $25 Windows...
  5. Why, when you need it most, it will let you down?(MS Store)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why, when you need it most, it will let you down?(MS Store): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/yurieu1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iwgdjr/why_when_you_need_it_most_it_will_let_you_downms/
  6. Reactivating a reinstall of Windows 10 with a product key when you have more than one key

Reactivating a reinstall of Windows 10 with a product key when you have more than one key: I purchased two Windows 10 Pro product keys for my two laptops. One of them I need to do a wipe and reinstall. How can I tell what product key is being used for each laptop?...
  7. where do you get a windows 10 product key?

where do you get a windows 10 product key?: My hard drive died and how do I fined my Windows 10 product key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-do-you-get-a-windows-10-product-key/cdb04849-29e1-46fc-bbb2-57513e209fef"
  8. Hi Microsoft. Can you explain this?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hi Microsoft. Can you explain this?: I was easily playing GTA game and this ruined my whole play. [ATTACH] I was even playing offline. Don't know why it keeps happening every other day. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-microsoft-can-you-explain-this/a1721889-eeb9-46c0-95c3-9d53e06e65fd
  9. Microsoft, when are you going to fix Bluetooth in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft, when are you going to fix Bluetooth in Windows 10?: Like the title says, do you plan to make Bluetooth work any time soon in Windows 10? That would be a great feature to have especially when it has been out for more than 20 years now. Don't bother replying to this with your all-in-one DIY step by step methods to solve the...
  10. When will you fix this!?

in Windows 10 Customization
    When will you fix this!?: Description Faulting application name: MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe, version: 11.0.17763.1, time stamp: 0x90f701bc Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000 Exception code: 0xc0000409 Fault offset: 0x0000000000000203 Faulting process id: 0x960 Faulting...