Windows 10: Microsoft explains Windows 7 update error 0x8000FFFF

Discus and support Microsoft explains Windows 7 update error 0x8000FFFF in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; A group of administrators and users who tried to install the August or September 2018 patches on Windows 7 devices reported that the update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 8, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft explains Windows 7 update error 0x8000FFFF

A group of administrators and users who tried to install the August or September 2018 patches on Windows 7 devices reported that the update installation would fail with error 0x8000FFFF.

The issue affected the monthly rollup updates and the security-only updates and meant that important security updates could not be installed on affected machines until the issue was resolved.

Admins and users who check the support article will notice that the error is listed as a known issue but that was not the case when the update was first released.

This update may fail to install with error 0x8000FFFF.

Before installing this update, install KB3177467, the last Servicing Stack Update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, to resolve this issue.

Microsoft explains Windows 7 update error 0x8000FFFF error-0x8000fff-windows.png

Microsoft published an article on the Windows IT Pro blog that provides details on the issue and why it was not recognized by Microsoft earlier.

The company released a Servicing Stack Update for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 in October 2016. You can look it up under KB3177467.

The update was marked critical even though it was not a security update for Windows 7. The reason that Microsoft gives for the rating is that servicing stack updates are essential for the updating process.

Servicing stack updates, or SSUs, are periodic updates released to specifically service or update the software stack for Windows platforms. These are fixes to the code that process and manage updates that need separate servicing periodically to improve the reliability of the update process, or address issue(s) that prevent patching some other part of the OS with the monthly latest cumulative update (LCU).

Servicing stack updates ensure that you have a robust and reliable servicing stack so that your devices receive and install Microsoft security fixes.

Some organizations, admins and home users did not install the update on devices running Windows 7 and not doing so did not appear to have a negative effect on the update process as updates that were released after the release of the servicing stack update installed just fine.

That changed with the release of the August 2018 update for Windows 7 SP1. The update could not be installed on devices that did not have the servicing stack update installed; these devices threw error error 0x8000FFFF instead.

Installation of KB3177467 resolved the issue immediately but users and admins did not know about that until Microsoft added the information to the known issues of these updates.

Why did not Microsoft catch the error?

Microsoft states that it tests its monthly patches against fully patched systems only. The issue slipped by because Microsoft tested the patches only on systems with the updated servicing stack.

What is Microsoft going to do about it to avoid future issues?

Microsoft plans to reissue the update KB3177467 on the October 2018 Update Tuesday and classify it as a security update. While not a security update, classifying the update as such ensures that the update won't go unnoticed by customers this time.

Any future servicing stack update will be classified as a security update as well.

Now You: Did you experience the issue?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft explains Windows 7 update error 0x8000FFFF appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 8, 2018

2. Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Microsoft explains Windows 7 update error 0x8000FFFF [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Nov 8, 2018
  3. DRDNA Win User
    Microsoft withdraws bad Windows 7 update that broke future Windows 7 updates

"Unfortunately, this apparently simple change has had severe consequences for some users of Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1, with users reporting that Windows Update, drivers from both Nvidia and AMD, and some third-party software including Virtual Box are all unable to install correctly. The error code 0x8004FF91 seems to be a common finding."

http://arstechnica.com/information-...7-update-that-broke-future-windows-7-updates/

DRDNA, Nov 8, 2018
  4. Microsoft explains Windows 7 update error 0x8000FFFF

ERROR 0x8000FFFF. HOW CAN I FIX THIS?

Hi Pao,

Error 0x8000FFFF means that you cannot load a page from a
    Microsoft Store
    . To be more specific, we would like to ask you a few questions:

• What were the recent changes made on your computer before you experienced this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Did you encounter this on Microsoft Store?
    • In what activity did you receive this message?
    • What is the status of your Internet connection?

In addition, you can visit this link:
    Windows 10 Store app error 0x8000FFFF
    to start troubleshooting this error.

We’re looking forward to your response.

Johann Eva, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft explains Windows 7 update error 0x8000FFFF

1. Microsoft explains Windows 7 update error 0x8000FFFF - Similar Threads - Microsoft explains update

2. Windows Update Error 0x8000ffff

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Error 0x8000ffff: My computer is giving me this error code when I am trying to download a windows update. 0x8000ffff. How do I fix this? I looked at this advice and it didnt work....
  3. Windows Update Error 0x8000ffff

Windows Update Error 0x8000ffff: Windows seem to causing unusual errors these days, there is an error causing to dull performance of the system such as browser, folder files openings and navigation options. The error has caused multiple times browser tab to crash and making unstoppable interruptions in due...
  4. Windows Update Error 0x8000ffff

Windows Update Error 0x8000ffff: Windows seem to quite a pain these days, there is an error causing to dull performance of the system such as browser, folder files openings and navigation options. The error has caused multiple times browser tab to crash and making unstoppable interruptions in due work, also...
  5. Windows Update Error 0x8000ffff

Windows Update Error 0x8000ffff: I am trying to run Windows update and have received Error 0x8000ffff. Here are the two errors I receive: 2020-02 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64 KB4534132 - Error 0x8000ffff 2020-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10...
  6. Updates - Install error - 0x8000ffff

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Updates - Install error - 0x8000ffff: I have an old windows laptop that I am trying to update to 1903 or newer so I can install .NET framework 4.7.2 or newer. Every time I try and install that update, either from windows update settings or downloading an executable from the Microsoft website, I get the above...
  7. 0x8000ffff Windows 10 Update Error

0x8000ffff Windows 10 Update Error: My PC got problem it says " There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later. 2020-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems KB4556799 - Error 0x8000ffff " can you help...
  8. Microsoft Store error code : 0x8000FFFF

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store error code : 0x8000FFFF: I've been having an issue with Microsoft Store the past few weeks. And its this error code: 0x8000FFFF. I was trying to update some of the apps installed on my laptop and it just doesn't work. Its been frustrating to say the least. I tried the troubleshoot feature, the reset...
  9. Error 0x8000FFFF in microsoft store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Error 0x8000FFFF in microsoft store: Hello everyone! I had this error in Microsoft store .This was very frustrating and searched the web for it but couldn't find a solution. But finally I just updated the app and there it is, the problem was gone. I had an older version of the app. Hope this helps someone. *...
  10. Fix Windows Update Error 0x8000FFFF

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Windows Update Error 0x8000FFFF: [ATTACH] Keeping your Windows OS up to date is the best practice that one should follow. But sometimes it gets difficult when Windows would just keep throwing some error codes at you. We are talking about none other than the error [...] This post Fix Windows Update Error...
Tags: