Windows 10: Microsoft extends Graphics Driver evaluations (to improve driver quality)

Discus and support Microsoft extends Graphics Driver evaluations (to improve driver quality) in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Graphics drivers are a common cause for crashes and other issues on Windows systems. Microsoft uses a system that evaluates graphics drivers, e.g. by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 28, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft extends Graphics Driver evaluations (to improve driver quality)

Graphics drivers are a common cause for crashes and other issues on Windows systems. Microsoft uses a system that evaluates graphics drivers, e.g. by measuring crashes and hangs in games, to determine whether the driver should be rejected or pulled.

Microsoft uses the data to determine whether a system should be offered a new feature update version of Windows 10, among other things. The issues list of the recently released Windows 10 version 2004 version of Windows 10 has two driver related issues, one of which blocks the update from being offered on the device.

Microsoft extends Graphics Driver evaluations (to improve driver quality) nvidia-driver-430.64.png

Microsoft's Windows graphics team has developed three new measures that will be integrated in the evaluation of graphics drivers from June 29, 2020 on. Two of the measures look at crashes in hangs in applications, and the third one at rollbacks of drivers,

The first one analyses the number of user mode crashes in the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge web browser. It measures how often Microsoft Edge crashes because of the graphics driver and puts this in relation to all devices with that particular driver.

Microsoft looks at seven day periods and a minimum population of 30,000 hours of Microsoft Edge Chromium runtime. The calculation is: Crashes in Edge Chromium Normalized by Usage=Total Edge Chromium Crashes / Runtime in Years. The driver fails the test if that result exceeds 1.

The second measure uses a similar method as the first but instead of looking at Microsoft Edge crashes, it is looking at crashes in communication and collaboration applications.

Microsoft uses the following applications for the measure:

• MICROSOFT.SKYPEAPP
    • DISCORD.EXE
    • SKYPE.EXE
    • TEAMVIEWER.EXE
    • LYNC.EXE
    • WECHAT.EXE
    • QQ.EXE
    • SLACK.EXE
    • KAKAOTALK.EXE
    • ZOOM.EXE
    • ZOOM
    • WHATSAPP.EXE
    • LINE.EXE
    • YOUCAMSERVICE.EXE
    • TELEGRAM.EXE
    • VIBER.EXE
    • MICROSOFT.SKYPEROOMSYSTEM

Minimum population is set to 10,000 hours of Communication and Collaboration Application runtime and the period is set to seven days again. The final calculation is Crashes in Communication and Collaboration Applications normalized by usage in years=Total Crashes in Communication and Collaboration Applications / Runtime in Years. The driver fails the test if the result exceeds 1.

The third and final measure analyzes driver rollbacks or re-installation in the first two days of installation. The minimum population is set to 5,000 devices and a seven day period. The driver fails the test if there are more than 10 rollbacks per 10,000 devices with the driver.

Closing Words

Microsoft started to work on improving drivers on the company's Windows operating system in recent time and the new graphics drivers measures extend that further (it claimed in 2018 that graphics driver quality was better than ever). The company introduced an option for its hardware partners recently that allows them to request Windows Update blocks for certain drivers.

Now You: How is your recent experience with drivers on Windows?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft extends Graphics Driver evaluations (to improve driver quality) appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 28, 2020

2. Intel HD Graphics Driver

Hi Jim,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

This issue might have caused due to the outdated drivers of the Graphics display card.

Let's try the below steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I would also suggest you to update graphics drivers.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device Manager.

• Search for Display Adapters and expand it.

• Right click on the graphics driver
      and select Update driver software.
    Refer:
    How to update the graphics card drivers

If that doesn't help uninstall and reinstall latest graphic driver from manufacturer's website.

Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, May 28, 2020
  3. Intel Graphic Driver Update

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We do understand your concern and we will be happy to help you regarding this.

Please answer the below questions:

• What exactly happens when you launch the game?
    • Do you get any error message?

I request you to try the following steps:

Uninstall and Reinstall the Graphics Card Drivers.

Step 1: Uninstall the Graphics Card
    Drivers

• Right click on Start menu.

• Click on “Device Manager” from that list.

• Search for the Graphics Card
      from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then remove the corrupted drivers
      from the computer.

• Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and then restart the computer if prompted.
    After the restart, please go ahead with the next steps to install the latest drivers and check if that resolves the issue.

Step 2: Go to the Computer or Graphics Card
    manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 10 drivers available for the
    Graphics Card model and then install it by following the instructions given in the website.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), May 28, 2020
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Graphics Driver failing/reinstalling (Intel (R) HD Graphics Ver. 8.15.10.2900

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and frustration you have been through. I will be glad to assist you.

1. What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you to install any pending updates on the pc to check if that helps. Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

I suggest you to follow the Methods below and check if that helps.

Uninstall and Reinstall the Graphics Card Drivers.

Steps to uninstall the Graphics Card Drivers.

1. Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.

2. Click on “Device Manager” from that list.

3. Search for the Graphics Card from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then remove the corrupted drivers
    from the computer.

4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and then restart the computer if prompted.

After the restart, please go ahead with the next steps to install the latest drivers and check if that resolves the issue.

Refer the link below to download drivers for Intel.

Drivers & Software

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Pavan_N, May 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Microsoft extends Graphics Driver evaluations (to improve driver quality) - Similar Threads - Microsoft extends Graphics

2. Graphics driver crashed and unsupported graphics driver.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Graphics driver crashed and unsupported graphics driver.: This problem only happened after updating to windows 11. While I was playing valorant, it crashed randomly. Stating that my graphics driver crashed. At first I didnt think that this was a major issue so I didnt put a deep thought into it. After a few days, I played left 4...
  3. Graphics driver crashed and unsupported graphics driver.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Graphics driver crashed and unsupported graphics driver.: This problem only happened after updating to windows 11. While I was playing valorant, it crashed randomly. Stating that my graphics driver crashed. At first I didnt think that this was a major issue so I didnt put a deep thought into it. After a few days, I played left 4...
  4. Latest Intel Graphics driver includes stability improvements

in Windows 10 News
    Latest Intel Graphics driver includes stability improvements: Intel released a new graphics driver for Microsoft's Windows 10 and Windows 11 operating systems that include important stability improvements among other improvements. [ATTACH] The driver may be installed automatically on some systems if automatic update management...
  5. Graphics Driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Graphics Driver: Hey there! I have just performed a clean installation of Windows 10. After installation I updated graphics driver from windows 10 update service. But after installing the driver, the graphics started to lag and they are not working smoothly. Any solution?...
  6. Three new measures for Graphics driver evaluations for WDDM

in Windows 10 News
    Three new measures for Graphics driver evaluations for WDDM: Display drivers have long been measured using ecosystem versions that measure crashes and hangs in games for the driver version being flighted (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...phics-measures) The Windows graphics team has developed three new measures, two that look at...
  7. Microsoft to improve Windows 10 drivers quality mechanism

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to improve Windows 10 drivers quality mechanism: Driver installation through Windows Update has caused significant issues in the past. For example, a number of driver flaws interfered with the installation of major feature updates in 2019 and old drivers were offered even though newer versions were installed already. In...
  8. GRAPHICS DRIVER

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GRAPHICS DRIVER: Hi, By mistake I've uninstalled my Intel HD 620 graphics driver! How can i install it again? thankyou https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/graphics-driver/ba780f30-034d-4eb1-b5e4-e3421d972a6a
  9. Microsoft to improve quality of Windows 10 driver updates

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to improve quality of Windows 10 driver updates: From time to time, we’ve seen reports of Windows Update installing device drivers that are not compatible with the new versions of the OS. Windows 10 drivers are often accidentally pushed to devices and incompatible drivers cause various issues including BSOD on some...
  10. Intel Graphics Driver for Windows 10 updated with improvements

in Windows 10 News
    Intel Graphics Driver for Windows 10 updated with improvements: Intel has recently rolled out updated graphics drivers for Windows 10 devices powered by its 6th, 7th, and 8th generation, Pentium, Celeron and Xeon CPUs processors. The update should improve the overall gaming performance on PCs with Windows 10 Intel HD Graphics 500+. Intel...