Windows 10: Microsoft extends optional updates feature in Windows 10

Discus and support Microsoft extends optional updates feature in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The release of the August 2020 security patches for Microsoft Windows operating system has brought another change that the company has been working on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Aug 14, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft extends optional updates feature in Windows 10

The release of the August 2020 security patches for Microsoft Windows operating system has brought another change that the company has been working on for a while.

You may remember stories about the removed driver search and update functionality in Device Manager that circulated on some sites not too long ago. It appears that Microsoft has not removed the feature but moved it.

The timing was off, as is the case often, as Microsoft removed the feature first before it introduced the functionality at another location.

Starting with the August 2020 releases for Windows 10, optional updates is now the place to get feature updates, monthly non-security updates (also called preview updates), and driver updates.

A "view optional updates" is displayed on the main Windows Updates page when optional updates are available. To get there, select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.

Microsoft extends optional updates feature in Windows 10 windows-10-optional-updates.png

If optional updates have been detected, "view optional updates" is displayed below the check for updates button. The page that opens lists all detected optional updates sorted by group, e.g. driver updates. Checkboxes are provided to install some or all of the optional updates on the device.

Windows Update will install drivers automatically on the device to ensure that all components and installed devices will work properly. The optional drivers are useful if issues are encountered while using these devices.

Windows users who have used the Device Manager to search for updated drivers for selected devices on the system can't use it anymore for that, as everything is now handled directly on the Windows Updates page of the Settings application.

Optional updates were removed from Windows 10 when Microsoft launched the new operating system years ago, and administrators could use a troubleshooter for some time to install optional updates.

Closing Words

It is a welcome move to group all optional updates, e.g. drivers and feature updates, into a single page on the Windows Update Settings page; this should make it easier for administrators to check for and potentially install these updates.

Administrators who prefer to install updates manually, by searching for updates on manufacturer sites, can still do so as it is easy enough to ignore the optional updates link in Windows Update.

Now You: Do you install driver via Windows Update or use third-party means of installation?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft extends optional updates feature in Windows 10 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Aug 14, 2020
  2. MrGenius Win User

Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Well, at the moment at least, you can choose to defer upgrades. Under Settings > Windows Updates > Advanced options you need to check the box labeled "Defer upgrades". What does that do? Good question. The answer I've found might illuminate it to a degree.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

I hear this only applies to Pro and Enterprise editions. But I can't verify that.

MrGenius, Aug 14, 2020
  3. P4-630 Win User
    Microsoft testing blue light reduction feature for Windows 10

"Microsoft is slowly revealing new features in its next major update to Windows 10, and it appears blue light reduction feature might be a future addition. The software giant released a new build of Windows 10 testers yesterday with very few visible additions, but Windows enthusiasts have already started picking it apart for clues on new features. Twitter user "Core"has discovered references to a "BlueLightReduction" setting deep within the next major update to Windows 10 (codenamed Redstone 2). It appears to be a setting that will be toggled from the Action Center (notification center) in the operating system.

F.lux has been the most popular option for Windows users looking to reduce blue light in the evenings, but Microsoft's own native toggle will bring this feature to every Windows 10 user. Apple has also integrated a similar feature in iOS 9, but it hasn't announced any plans to bring blue light reduction to Mac OS yet. Microsoft only appears to be testing the feature right now, so there's no guarantee it will ship in the update due early next year. If Microsoft does implement it fully then it will presumably be available on the mobile version of Windows 10, too.
    "

Microsoft testing blue light reduction feature for Windows 10

P4-630, Aug 14, 2020
  4. Microsoft extends optional updates feature in Windows 10

Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Microsoft extends optional updates feature in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Aug 14, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft extends optional updates feature in Windows 10

1. Microsoft extends optional updates feature in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft extends optional

2. Windows 10 optional features

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 optional features: Is there a way to enable "windows optional features"? For me there is no such thing and online are only tutorials on how to enable apps inside the optional features. Main problem is my pc not having the program notepad. I already tried looking for a way to fix this but there...
  3. Windows 10 optional features

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 optional features: Is there a way to enable "windows optional features"? For me there is no such thing and online are only tutorials on how to enable apps inside the optional features. Main problem is my pc not having the program notepad. I already tried looking for a way to fix this but there...
  4. Windows 10 Optional Features

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Optional Features: HelloI found the below article exactly my problem while searching for a solution for Optional features that fail to install, no error, no progress on the bar, just hangs for a while and...
  5. Windows update uninstalls optional features

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update uninstalls optional features: At our business we use several fonts that are now optional features they were not optional when we originally chose the fonts. Most updates uninstall the optional features, and we have to go back to reinstall fonts that we use every day. Is there a way to keep updates from...
  6. Feature request: Add always on display option for specific Extended displays.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Feature request: Add always on display option for specific Extended displays.: Users want to customize which display powers off when Idle. For example, a user might have multiple monitors that may need to be viewed around a house or workplace while the main monitor at a different location is not being used to conserve power. These displays may contain...
  7. Windows 10 Optional Feature Update 2004

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Optional Feature Update 2004: My version = Windows 10 Home - 1909 - 64 bit - currently kept daily updated. Optional update 2004 first appeared on my update list on 17 June. On 24 June it was removed and no longer shows as an optional update. Anybody know why it has suddenly disappeared ? 159672
  8. Microsoft is making these features optional on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is making these features optional on Windows 10: Windows 10 comes with several features for both consumers and business. In Windows 10, there are quite a few features that you don’t use and they are disabled by default. Such features are optional and they could help with accessibility, productivity apps or hardware....
  9. Windows 10 "Optional" features

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 "Optional" features: In Windows 10 settings, there is a list of "Optional" features, most, if not all, that I have no use for. If they are "Optional" as they say, how come I don't see a way to uninstall these "Options"? Example: 95.8 MB for "English US Speech Recognition". I NEVER talk to...
  10. Microsoft adds Paint placeholder to Windows 10 Optional Features

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft adds Paint placeholder to Windows 10 Optional Features: Microsoft Paint shows up as an optional feature in Windows Insider builds, suggesting that it will be uninstallable at some point, though we don’t have a confirmation from the Redmond firm yet. Microsoft Paint will continue to remain a part of Windows 10, but it’s possible...