Windows 10: Microsoft Family - allowing wildcard access to websites

Discus and support Microsoft Family - allowing wildcard access to websites in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi I am finding Microsoft Family useful but I feel there is one significant improvement that could be made to the mechanism whereby access to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by MonkeyTennis, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Microsoft Family - allowing wildcard access to websites

Hi

I am finding Microsoft Family useful but I feel there is one significant improvement that could be made to the mechanism whereby access to specific websites is granted.

If my child wishes to access different subdomains on the same website, I have to add each one individually. e.g. - I would have to individually add http://sub1.mywebsite.com and http://sub2.mywebsite.com. This gets very tiresome when there are many subdomains on the same website.

It would be a better user experience if I was able to add the wildcard URL, http://*.mywebsite.com, as is possible for most other products that restrict access to only certain URLs.

My concern is that if this feature is not implemented, parents will tire of continually allowing their children access to specific URLs, and instead relax access and risk exposing the child to inappropriate content.

Also, although of lesser importance, the list would be far few in number, and therefore much easier to manage on an ongoing basis.

Looking forward to seeing this implemented.

:)

MonkeyTennis, Mar 23, 2020
  2. JBilly93 Win User

Export list of "allowed websites" to another child in microsoft family account

I have a rather large list of allowed websites on my son's account. Is there a way to export that list so it can be used with another family member so that I don't have to manually reenter each website under the different child's account in Microsoft
    Family?

JBilly93, Mar 23, 2020
  3. Query about allowing or blocking specific websites in family safety

Hello Chin,

We realize your requirement in this regard.

Yes, once you unblock a website, your child will be able to access that particular website without any restrictions. You need to block it back, if your child don't want to access it.

There's a lot of great things to learn about on the Internet, but also lots of things you don't want your kids to stumble on. Turn on web browsing limits if you want to block sites that provide adult content, or to allow or block individual websites or webpages
    by using their web addresses or URLs. For young children, you can set up web browsing limits so they can only visit a small number of sites that you specifically allowed.

To set up web browsing limits

• Sign in to
      family on the Microsoft account website

• Select the child you want to turn on web browsing limits for.

• Select Web browsing, and switch Block inappropriate websites from
      Off to On.

Now, adult content is blocked and SafeSearch is on when your child uses the most common search engines.

• If you want your child to only see websites you've explicitly allowed, check the box next to
      Only see websites on the allowed list.

To allow or block specific websites

• Sign in to
      family on the Microsoft account website

• Select the child you want to turn on web browsing limits for.

• Select Web browsing.

• To add a site to their allow list, go to Always allow these and enter the
      URL of a website you want to allow.

• To add a site to their block list, go to Always block these and enter the
      URL of a website you want to block.

Keep posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Mar 23, 2020
  4. Microsoft Family - allowing wildcard access to websites

"Only see websites on the allowed list" function is missing from family safety

It's possible that you did not understand my question. In the family safety settings there used to be a check box labeled "Only see websites on the allowed list". It gave parents the ability to block all websites except those on the allowed list. I can
    no longer find this feature and I'm curious to know what happened to it or if there is another way to prevent my children from accessing any website other than those I put on the allowed list.

BGquestions, Mar 23, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft Family - allowing wildcard access to websites

1. Microsoft Family - allowing wildcard access to websites - Similar Threads - Microsoft Family allowing

2. Microsoft Family not allowing me to request websites Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Family not allowing me to request websites Windows 11: My mother has decided to place me into a family due to the fact she thinks I have the faculties of a seven-year-old child. Yet now when I ask for the most basic capabilities to sign into Google. The application simply redirects me back to the Ask Now page. Basically, when I...
  3. Microsoft Family not allowing me to request websites Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Family not allowing me to request websites Windows 11: My mother has decided to place me into a family due to the fact she thinks I have the faculties of a seven-year-old child. Yet now when I ask for the most basic capabilities to sign into Google. The application simply redirects me back to the Ask Now page. Basically, when I...
  4. Microsoft Family Safety Windows 10 not allowing access to certain websites even it is...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Family Safety Windows 10 not allowing access to certain websites even it is...: Hi there,I have been using Microsoft Family Safety feature to have some control on the websites my children access on the internet and it is strange that even I have allowed certain website for example: microsoft teams my child is still not able to access microsoft teams to...
  5. Family Safety - Allowed Websites, wildcards in URLs

Family Safety - Allowed Websites, wildcards in URLs: I have blocked google search in my kids profile. With online schooling there are lot of URLs that teachers are sharing which starts with google.com, but actually redirect to separate site. The Url changes by class, but follows same pattern e.g....
  6. Access to a Website using Microsoft Family

Access to a Website using Microsoft Family: I currently have Microsoft family on my laptop, which my two children use to complete school work, There is a website called Mathletics which when my youngest access it asks for permission to access it, which I do as it is to complete school work. But when he changed the...
  7. Wildcard for website blocking?

Wildcard for website blocking?: I am trying to block a gaming website using the Microsoft Family Safety "Web Browsing" feature, but it doesn't seem to be accepting a wildcard so that I can block all subdomains of the website, of which there are many. If I enter a specific subdomain it works fine, but...
  8. Microsoft Family Allowed websites can't allow https

Microsoft Family Allowed websites can't allow https: I have a child account set to only allow the listed websites I enter HTTPS://mail.yahoo.com/ and add the site however when I refresh HTTP://mail.yahoo.com is allowed, not the secure HTTPS which is what is used. The same occurs with every https site I have tried and does...
  9. Microsoft Family Not Blocking Entire Website If Specific Links Allowed

Microsoft Family Not Blocking Entire Website If Specific Links Allowed: I have a problem now which seemed to work before. I have blocked YouTube.com from my child’s account and disabled all other browsers except Microsoft Edge. Due to his school assignments, from time to time he needs to be able to watch specific educational videos. What...
  10. how to allow access to a website

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to allow access to a website: how to allow browser access to a web site that is blocked https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-allow-access-to-a-website/0d49faaf-c5b9-4d7a-87e2-f84f7399e470