Windows 10: Microsoft Family Control Issues/Limitations

Discus and support Microsoft Family Control Issues/Limitations in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, I have a bit of an issue with the family controls. I have a son who I added to my family group in order for him to have a PC for School and... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Ross-McLeod, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Microsoft Family Control Issues/Limitations

Hi,

I have a bit of an issue with the family controls. I have a son who I added to my family group in order for him to have a PC for School and playing games, but with limits to what he can do and view. With a slight bit of background, he has personal issues and needs help to keep on track and follow rules at home and school. We thought that the MS family controls would be ideal for this. With School work being remote a lot of PC use is required at the moment.

We have found two issues.

The first is games. If a game from the MS Store is launched from the MS store it is blocked at times and within limits as set by us. However, if it is launched form anywhere else start menu, desktop the game seems to bypass all controls.

The second is YouTube. We have YouTube blocked as he was finding inappropriate content. If he needs a video for School or finds a video on a search engine a song, clip, show thatis appropriate then we allow that particular video. The problem is that as soon as he is on that video he can access anything from there. Anything. He can search from the video being displayed and have access from there. If he locks his PC with a video open and comes back to it, it is then blocked. It seems like that as soon as a session is approved to a particular video, that session on that site remains valid whatever else is done. I don't know if this is the same on other sites.

We don't want to feel like full on "Big Brother". We just want to know that we can guide his content for now until he understands what is and is not appropriate and we can trust his decisions, like any parents trying to teach their child.

Is there a way to address these issues that I have missed?

Thanks

:)

Ross-McLeod, Jun 16, 2020
  2. Ma. Lau Win User

Never-ending issues with mouse/touchpad and with Microsoft Family time limits

Hi,

Regarding mouse and touchpad concern, we suggest that you install the latest driver update in device manufacturer's website. If the issue still persists, you check on this
    link and follow the steps or suggestions on how to resolve the issue on mouse and touchpad.

And with Microsoft Family concern, you can try to remove the child account by following steps provided below:

• Go to
      http://account.microsoft.com/family
      and sign in with your Microsoft account.
    • From Family tab select the Child account that you set on your son's account.
    • Click More and select Remove from Family.
    • Sign out and try to log in again.
    • Try to Add a child account. Check on this
      link
      to know more information on how you can add a child account.
    Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Regards.

Ma. Lau, Jun 16, 2020
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Microsoft Family Screen Time

Hi Laurel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

This could happen when the child account fails to sync with the server. I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Open
      File Explorer
      and navigate to the following location:
    • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls

Note:
      The above mentioned directory is hidden, copy and paste the same location on the search bar in the File Explorer to access it.
    • Delete the contents in the
      \\settings
      directory of the Parental Controls folder.
    • Reboot the machine to see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, you may want to remove the child account from Microsoft family and add it again.

• To know how to remove an account from Microsoft Family, refer:

Remove members from your family group
    • To know how to add an account to Microsoft Family, refer:

Add members to your family group

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jun 16, 2020
  4. Microsoft Family Control Issues/Limitations

time limits in family not working

Hi Barbara,

We would like to know more details about your concern about the Family Safety time limit that is not working so we can better assist you. Kindly answer the following:

• Does it happen only with particular child account?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we would suggest that you refer to this
    support link
    on how to set up screen time limits for your child.

We look forward to your response.

Marilou Ser, Jun 16, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft Family Control Issues/Limitations

1. Microsoft Family Control Issues/Limitations - Similar Threads - Microsoft Family Control

2. Microsoft Family Safety: Apps and Games: Edit Limits - No edit controls appear for some of...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Family Safety: Apps and Games: Edit Limits - No edit controls appear for some of...: Hello, I am managing my teenager's son game lust with Family Safety and it works quite well for some of the apps, but for some reason, in some of the games and aps, the controls that allow for that configuration, don't show up when I click "Edit Limit". Some examples of...
  3. Microsoft Family Time Limit not working

Microsoft Family Time Limit not working: Hi there, My 11 year old son's microsoft profile account is connected to our family account so I can control how much screen time he gets etc. I have limited him to be on his computer until 7.30pm in the evenings. However, tonight, when I went up to check on him at...
  4. Microsoft Family Account Limits

Microsoft Family Account Limits: There are no limits on my son's account and he's been using his PC without issue for months, until this week. Now he keeps getting locked out of his browser and having to request more time. I've logged into the family group and all of the restrictions are turned off. Why is...
  5. App and game limits - Microsoft Family

App and game limits - Microsoft Family: Suddenly my daughter gets messages she has to ask a parent for more time to use Chrome. App and game limits in Family is OFF and grayed out, I have never set any restrictions. How can this be fixed?...
  6. Microsoft family not controlling device

Microsoft family not controlling device: Microsoft family used to control child's device properly, now it does not. The family section of website says I should update Windows 10 device to get it to work properly. I have installed the latest updates, but it did not fix the issue....
  7. microsoft family group time limits

microsoft family group time limits: i removed myself from our microsoft family group a few weeks ago, and yet i still have time limits active on my account - i had read that accounts not in a family group should not be affected by the time limits set in that family group so you can understand my confusion...
  8. microsoft family time limit, without any family accounts?

microsoft family time limit, without any family accounts?: ok so basically my old account (closing rn) was prevoiusly a part of a microsoft family account, listed as a child and there was a 2 hour time limit set from years back when my account was controlled by my dad. but i signed in with it (forgetting it was a child account) and...
  9. Time limits, Microsoft family

Time limits, Microsoft family: We have Microsoft family and my dad set screen time limits for my games. I think I sometimes get less time than it is expected https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/time-limits-microsoft-family/39fb731d-7171-4366-8212-ecef5cfef999"
  10. screen time limits in microsoft family

screen time limits in microsoft family: i am having a terrible time trying to set up screen time limits for my child in windows and his xbox one. i've signed in and out of my account and the child's account a dozen times, sending the email invite to join the family and otherwise following the instructions....