Windows 10: Microsoft Family - One-time time extension vs request time

Discus and support Microsoft Family - One-time time extension vs request time in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I really like using screen time limits to manage how much time my kids are spending on the computer. Rather than giving them time every day, we use a... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Daniel J. Thomas, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Microsoft Family - One-time time extension vs request time

I really like using screen time limits to manage how much time my kids are spending on the computer. Rather than giving them time every day, we use a system where kids earn time to use the computer for completing chores and other tasks, then we grant time as a reward.

Under the current system, the kids need to send a request for time for parents to grant it. Is there a way for parents to give time to a child for that day through the family safe website without permanently changing the schedule?

:)

Daniel J. Thomas, Aug 12, 2020

2. Microsoft Family Time Extension Requests not sending to both parents

Both of the children have Microsoft Family settings on their computers.

Both of the children keep running out of time and ask for time extensions. (Thanks COVID-19 virtual learning!)

The request is sent by email and screen notification to my husband. I USED to get these notifications, but haven't received them since late February. I have tried changing my Settings > Notifications, no change.

My current way to extend their time is to login to https://account.microsoft.com/family/, wait for Kid to send Extend Time request, hit refresh, and extend. This is annoying,
    as I am unaware that they need time extended--no notification told me, and no email came in. How do I reactivate this? (Husband is "essential" and often unavailable to extend time.)

It is not related to the childrens' accounts. Following online suggestions, I have already verified their accounts on all the devices. The notifications send to my husband, so the problem seems to be with the notifications sending to me.

Also of note, husband receives the weekly recap of their time online, and I haven't received that since the end of February. Suggestions? Thanks!!

Moved from: Outlook.com / Security, privacy, and accounts / Other

CRobbinsUF, Aug 12, 2020
  3. bhieda Win User
    Pi hole breaks Microsoft Family Screen Time Limit time extension requests

I recently installed a raspberry pi with pi hole in my network which is great for removing ads. Unfortunately, it also breaks the Microsoft family functionality. I think there are multiple things broken, but the first thing I'd like to fix is to allow
    my kids to request more screen time. Prior to installing the pi hole, a dialog window would pop up when the kid's windows account run out of screen time . In that dialog that they could click to request more time. This would trigger an email request to
    me which allows me to grant more screen time or not. Now, after the pi hole install in my network, clicking the request more time button in the dialog displays an error and suggests that the system may not be connected to the internet. I am certain the internet
    connection is functional.

I am fairly certain that the pi hole is blocking the communication from the pc to the ms server managing the family features. I'd like to create a whitelist in pi hole that allows the necessary communication to take place. Can anyone let me know what URLs
    need to be added to the whitelist to have Microsoft family screen time limits to work on windows 10?

bhieda, Aug 12, 2020
  4. Microsoft Family - One-time time extension vs request time

Microsoft Family additional Screen Time requests not being sent

Support Engineers:

Please read my issue and the steps I have already taken very carefully -

My Issue:

• I have screen time management setup for my children.
    • When they surpass their allocated time, they are presented with the option to request additional time (as expected).
    • PREVIOUSLY, I would receive an email asking for my approval to grant them additional time. I would approve and they would be able to use their accounts (as expected).
    • CURRENTLY, I no longer receive the email once they click on the request for more time. They are unable to log into their accounts which is impacting their ability to complete homework assignments.

Steps I have already tried that did not work:

• Rebooted
    • Tried to submit the request from multiple PCs
    • Deleted all files under the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls folder
    • Tried running the Family Safety Time Limits tool (doesn't work on Windows 10)
    • Applied all known Windows Updates

PLEASE HELP!

Thank you for your time

John Timotheou, Aug 12, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft Family - One-time time extension vs request time

1. Microsoft Family - One-time time extension vs request time - Similar Threads - Microsoft Family extension

2. Microsoft Family More Screen Time Requests Showing Wrong TIme

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Family More Screen Time Requests Showing Wrong TIme: When receiving the more screen time requests emails, I noticed that the emails were showing a time/date AFTER the time/date of the email. For example the email body would read "[child] asked on July 12 at 5:00 AM.", but the email was received the evening of July 11th local...
  3. Error with sending a request for additional family time

Error with sending a request for additional family time: My son's computer is seeing an issue with trying to ask for more internet time. He sees the message- [ATTACH] When he tries to send a message for more time, he sees the following; [ATTACH] He restarted the system, he's applied the most recent update. I went so far as...
  4. Family Safety Screen Time Limits: Setting Custom Extension Times

Family Safety Screen Time Limits: Setting Custom Extension Times: Our family uses Family Safety to limit screen time. We block access at all times so that we have to authorize screen time any time my son wants to use the PC. When we give him permission to watch we have options like 15 mins, 30 mins, 1 hour, 2 hours, etc.. When he runs...
  5. Time With Family, Time For Family

Time With Family, Time For Family: Btw, this is an especially good time to take a look at these things [ATTACH] Cheers, Drew [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/time-with-family-time-for-family/38e2bbc4-70ea-4364-a15d-9038e180c626
  6. Microsoft Family Time Extension Requests not sending to both parents

Microsoft Family Time Extension Requests not sending to both parents: Both of the children have Microsoft Family settings on their computers. Both of the children keep running out of time and ask for time extensions. Thanks COVID-19 virtual learning! The request is sent by email and screen notification to my husband. I USED to get these...
  7. Pi hole breaks Microsoft Family Screen Time Limit time extension requests

Pi hole breaks Microsoft Family Screen Time Limit time extension requests: I recently installed a raspberry pi with pi hole in my network which is great for removing ads. Unfortunately, it also breaks the Microsoft family functionality. I think there are multiple things broken, but the first thing I'd like to fix is to allow my kids to request...
  8. Time limits, Microsoft family

Time limits, Microsoft family: We have Microsoft family and my dad set screen time limits for my games. I think I sometimes get less time than it is expected https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/time-limits-microsoft-family/39fb731d-7171-4366-8212-ecef5cfef999"
  9. Microsoft Family Screen Time

Microsoft Family Screen Time: My child keeps getting time restriction messages on their computer. I have removed all restrictions and it will not update. This is very frustrating. Is there a solution? The "Device Limits" are completely off. There aren't any "Content Restrictions" set. I use Netnanny for...
  10. Bug Report for Microsoft-Family: Kids Additional Time Request with wrong Time-Stamp

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bug Report for Microsoft-Family: Kids Additional Time Request with wrong Time-Stamp: Our son requested additional Time and the message was send in time (14:45 local time), but the small text at the bottom of the message was "[Name] has requested at [Date] 12:45 ..." We live in Europe (UTC+2)....