Windows 10: Microsoft Family Settings not working properly and blocking my child from using Google...

Discus and support Microsoft Family Settings not working properly and blocking my child from using Google... in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My child is using Google Classroom for remote schooling. Naturally, it works better with Google Chrome, which she has been using since school started... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by jen2277b4, Feb 26, 2021.

1. jen2277b4 Win User

Microsoft Family Settings not working properly and blocking my child from using Google...

My child is using Google Classroom for remote schooling. Naturally, it works better with Google Chrome, which she has been using since school started in September. After one of the latest Microsoft updates, suddenly Chrome is no longer available to her. A Microsoft Family message pops up stating she must as Ask an adult in your family for permission to use Google Chrome. Ask by email.

No matter how many times she asks and I approve, IT NEVER RESOLVES. I'm seriously losing my patience. I have spent hours trying to fix this, web-searching the situation, running a repair on her Microsoft account, deleting and reinstalling her on Microsoft Family, etc. It seems this has happened in the past based on other posts I've seen some dating years ago but no solution to be found.

I'M READY TO SWITCH TO MAC. HELP!!!!!

Microsoft Family Settings not working properly and blocking my child from using Google... ad9f5f8c-0f07-4e93-88b4-2889013d848c?upload=true.png

:)

jen2277b4, Feb 26, 2021

2. Block Google Chrome for Child

I have 5 kids to setup content restrictions for. Though I love that Microsoft gives the power to have the safety features it does, the process is RIDICULOUS if you are doing it for more than 1 child!!!

I attempted to setup my 3 younger kids to only have access to a couple of specific websites, but no other sites. During that process I removed Google Chrome from the blocked apps list. What I did not know was that I had to use Microsoft Edge (one of the
    worst browsers ever) to use the feature that only allows certain sites. So now Google Chrome is no longer a blocked app, but yet the site has no way to just add it back.

I looked up how to block an app and was SHOCKED by the official info from Microsoft. See Below. Basically your kid has to use an app before you can add it to the blocked list. Doesn't that defy the purpose of having safety features for a child?

Besides... I used my child's account and opened Chrome, yet it still DID NOT show up in their activity list in order to block it. NOW WHAT?

FROM MICROSOFT

Blocking specific apps is possible with the Microsoft Account's Family Safety Feature. To block a specific application on your child's account, it is a requirement that the app must be used by your child, so that it will appear in under the Recent Activity
    list. For your child's security, you can log in as the child and launch the app to satisfy this requirement.

Follow these steps to successfully block specific applications:

1. Visit the Microsoft Family website and then sign in your Microsoft Account.
    2. Click the account of the child that you want to block from using an app.
    3. Select Recent Activity.
    4. Click to ensure that Activity Reporting is turned on.
    5. Scroll down and look for Apps & Games.
    6. Choose the apps that you want to block on your child's account.
    7. Click Block to block usage of the app.

msquaredonline, Feb 26, 2021
  3. Microsoft family features - child profile not working properly

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the family features are not working properly on the child account.

• When you say, “I removed the profile, and had him login again”, did you remove the account from the family or from the PC?

Regarding the app issue: Since you receive the message to look for an app from store while accessing the link to fix the child account issue. I suggest you to follow the steps to
    re-register the apps.

1. Press and hold the Windows key + X.
    2. Select Windows PowerShell (Admin).
    3. Type the command and hit Enter on the keyboard: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    4. Restart the PC.

In addition, you can also try removing the child account from family and adding it again to the family. Refer the article

Remove members from your family group and
    Add members to your family group.

Regarding the email address on the login page:
    Do you see verify option under accounts in settings?

If you are able to see the verify option under accounts in settings page, I suggest you to try verifying the account and check if that helps.

1. Go to Settings >
      Accounts > Your info.
    2. Under the Email address click on
      Verify.
    3. Enter the code, which will be sent to your
      email address or mobile number.
    4. Click on Next to verify the account.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Feb 26, 2021
  4. arel64 Win User

Microsoft Family Settings not working properly and blocking my child from using Google...

How can I let a child in the family have google privileges

I have tried this option it doesn't work I dont think i was clear and Im sorry about it my the account doesnt need to block websites, I gave him the privileges to go to every site just, the problem is google wont allow the child to turn restricted mode off (like shown in the photo) although the child has access to every site. Is there anything to do about that or the only solution is to make the kid an adult

arel64, Feb 26, 2021
Thema:

1. Microsoft Family Settings not working properly and blocking my child from using Google... - Similar Threads - Microsoft Family Settings

2. Can't use Google chrome on my laptop. It's blocked by Microsoft Family.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't use Google chrome on my laptop. It's blocked by Microsoft Family.: Hi for some reason i cant use google chrome on my laptop because it saying its been blocked by microsoft family has blocked it and when i go to request it unblocked it just doesnt let me. i find it very confusion because i am in charge of the account so why cant i just...
  3. My google chrome is blocked by microsoft family.

My google chrome is blocked by microsoft family.: Hello, Microsoft i cant unlock the google chrome family is maded by my phone and in my pc i get locked.Some times it unlocks somehow.Can you help me Microsoft?...
  4. Family Settings after child used PC

Family Settings after child used PC: Hi, I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on a work PC. All was fine for over a year. The owners young son then came along and used the machine and somehow activated the Family Settings. Now anytime the owner the original user tries to access Firefox, a box pops up stating...
  5. block discord website from microsoft family settings

block discord website from microsoft family settings: Hello, I have tried to block Discord's website from my son's screen time, but it still gets through. Please advise. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/block-discord-website-from-microsoft-family/3144e21c-eff5-4e37-a63e-cbfa7e991d58
  6. Microsoft Family Safety not blocking websites properly

Microsoft Family Safety not blocking websites properly: We use Microsoft Family Safety settings for our son. Recently we noticed that some of the websites we thought were blocked are accessible when he is logged in to his account. Previously the block was working. When I go to visit his activity, the most recent date I can see...
  7. How do I block YouTube from my child in Microsoft Family?

How do I block YouTube from my child in Microsoft Family?: There is no option under Apps, Content Restrictions, or anywhere that I see. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-block-youtube-from-my-child-in-microsoft/57f2caf2-1fbe-4ff0-8a5c-f95d434790ac
  8. Microsoft Family Features blocking google chrome

Microsoft Family Features blocking google chrome: Here's some background: Years ago my family got an xbox one, my dad made the parent account and me and my brother made our own child accounts to go as a family. A few years later I try to change my Microsoft account email to a new one which just has a few numbers at the...
  9. Microsoft family features - child profile not working properly

Microsoft family features - child profile not working properly: I recently determined that my son's Windows 10 account profile (Windows 10 regular user account linked to his Family/Child Microsoft email account) had become corrupted, as several things were not working correctly under his Windows 10 login (Edge and IE were limited to 8MB...
  10. Block Google Chrome for Child

Block Google Chrome for Child: I have 5 kids to setup content restrictions for. Though I love that Microsoft gives the power to have the safety features it does, the process is RIDICULOUS if you are doing it for more than 1 child!!! I attempted to setup my 3 younger kids to only have access to a couple...