Windows 10: Microsoft Family - teen child can leave the Family Group

Discus and support Microsoft Family - teen child can leave the Family Group in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I setup a Microsoft Family Group and added my kids as "Child" accounts. My 15 year old son has a link on his account to "Leave family group", and... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by pdxfxt, Mar 21, 2020.

1. pdxfxt Win User

Microsoft Family - teen child can leave the Family Group

I setup a Microsoft Family Group and added my kids as "Child" accounts.

My 15 year old son has a link on his account to "Leave family group", and anytime he wants to avoid screen time limits or play Xbox games that are restricted to him, he just logs into his account on family.microsoft.com, clicks this link, and then clicks Remove on the popup window. There is no password or parental consent required. My 8 and 10 year old do not see this link while logged into their accounts.

My 18 year old daughter also sees this link when logged into her account, which is totally fine because she is an adult. But I feel my son should either not see this link on his account, or require parent consent to Leave.How can I remove the link from his account screen, or prevent him from leaving the Family group without consent?

Searching the forums it seems there are many other parents with the same concern, but Microsoft's response is always "a child account cannot remove themselves from the family without the parent password"... however, the website does NOT request a password AT ALL for him to leave the family.

Microsoft Family - teen child can leave the Family Group b2452b08-104c-4c5e-ad69-c6f3d77c6b7f?upload=true.png

:)

pdxfxt, Mar 21, 2020
  2. EdTittel Win User

Last member (Adult) unable to leave Family group

Why not set up an admin account with documented password, add it to the family group? Then you can take your account out, and still have (or leave) an admin/family group access account available. Just a thought/suggestion...
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 21, 2020
  3. Microsoft Family - Child can remove themselves from the family

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues with Microsoft Family group.

Usually, when you add a Child account to Family group, the child account will not be able to remove themselves from the Family. Only the Adult account can remove the Child account from the family.

One of the possibilities that I can think of is that the Child account was added as an Adult account by mistake and that could be the reason your Child was able to remove him/her from the Family.

I would suggest you to try adding the Child account once again to the Family Group and see if the Child has an option to quit the Family group. Refer the article

Add members to your family group

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Mar 21, 2020
  4. KB3LQ Win User

Leaving a family group

Hello
    I am trying to leave a Microsoft Family. I am the only adult member of the family and wish to leave in order that I can join the rest of my family in their Family group and use their Office 365 Home subscription. I can't join the new family until I've
    left the old one. When I login and click 'leave family group' I get the message "Please try again later. We can't do this right now." How can I overcome this? Thanks for your advice.
    KB

KB3LQ, Mar 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Microsoft Family - teen child can leave the Family Group - Similar Threads - Microsoft Family teen

2. Leaving microsoft family group

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Leaving microsoft family group: My child wants to play minecraft realms. So i want to go to my family group and I notice her account is not there. So I try to add her account, but when i log in to accept the invitation it tells me she already is in a group. When I log in with my childs account I can see the...
  3. Leaving microsoft family group

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Leaving microsoft family group: My child wants to play minecraft realms. So i want to go to my family group and I notice her account is not there. So I try to add her account, but when i log in to accept the invitation it tells me she already is in a group. When I log in with my childs account I can see the...
  4. Leaving microsoft family group

in User Accounts and Family Safety
  5. A child leaves family group himself

A child leaves family group himself: HiI'm trying to setup family safety to protect a child from an adult content and limit time spent with PC. I've created family group and invited child's account to the family. Then applied permissions.Child left the family group and disabled parental control. How to prevent...
  6. A child leaves family group himself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A child leaves family group himself: HiI'm trying to setup family safety to protect a child from an adult content and limit time spent with PC. I've created family group and invited child's account to the family. Then applied permissions.Child left the family group and disabled parental control. How to prevent...
  7. A child leaves family group himself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Leaving a family as a child

Leaving a family as a child: My parents are divorced and my ex-dad has slight control over my account there are certain things i can and cannot do. I am also listed as a child under my family including only me and my ex-dad. I would like to leave the family but can't because i dont have access to his...
  9. Will leaving a family group in Microsoft Family alert the parents of the group?

Will leaving a family group in Microsoft Family alert the parents of the group?: If a member of the family who is over 13 leaves the group, will the parents be notified? Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-leaving-a-family-group-in-microsoft-family/6522fe46-a9a1-4a37-a2ec-072fc96994fc
  10. Leave family as a child

Leave family as a child: My parents made me a new account without my permission and now they have changed my age so that I'm not old enough to make any changes. Do you know what I can do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/leave-family-as-a-child/afdbfd1a-27e1-45cf-a99a-a30ff36c8c42

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft edge children can leave family group