Windows 10: Microsoft Family

Discus and support Microsoft Family in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I bought a new, cheap laptop about a week ago which was working fine. This was the first computer I've signed in with my Microsoft account (did it on a... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by jadenj, Jun 13, 2019.

1. jadenj Win User

Microsoft Family

I bought a new, cheap laptop about a week ago which was working fine. This was the first computer I've signed in with my Microsoft account (did it on a phone once or twice). Then I got home to find Chrome not working; it gave me the "you'll need a new app to open this...". So I was like what an inconvenience, but nothing I cant handle(with the help of websites like this one). I followed some instruction and it looked like it worked because that error message went away.

But now when ever I try to run chrome in anyway, it says "You'll need to ask permission from a family member to use Chrome, (then the button says) ask by email". At this point I'm just lost. I never put in any other emails but mine nor set up family stuff. I go online to check my account family and, to my surprise, 3 of my old friends from when I was like 13 were my "family" with one of them as the adult and everyone else as a child! The only way I can see that ever happening is when we hung out and played on the same Xbox where I might have signed in on(even though I personally don't have an Xbox)

So my question is this: is there any way to by pass that or do I have to find those friends again and hope they still use that account?

:)

jadenj, Jun 13, 2019
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Microsoft Family Screen Time

Hi Laurel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

This could happen when the child account fails to sync with the server. I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Open
      File Explorer
      and navigate to the following location:
    • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls

Note:
      The above mentioned directory is hidden, copy and paste the same location on the search bar in the File Explorer to access it.
    • Delete the contents in the
      \\settings
      directory of the Parental Controls folder.
    • Reboot the machine to see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, you may want to remove the child account from Microsoft family and add it again.

• To know how to remove an account from Microsoft Family, refer:

Remove members from your family group
    • To know how to add an account to Microsoft Family, refer:

Add members to your family group

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jun 13, 2019
  3. Microsoft Family

Hi,

It could be because of the settings on the Family and Safety feature or the account you're using is added to a Family. With that being said, we suggest that you check if the account that you are using is a part of the
    Family list. To check on it, go to Cortana
    and search for Family Options.

To remove your account to the Family, you may follow the steps below:

• Use the Adult account to log in using this link.
    • Click on the Family tab.
    • On the account that you want to remove, click More > Remove from family.
    • Then click Remove to confirm.

Let us know how it goes and feel free to get back to us if you need further assistance.

PreciousLeb, Jun 13, 2019
  4. Carlo Fer Win User

Microsoft Family

Microsoft family blocking chrome

Hello
    MayceHoag,

To disable family features and turn off family settings on Windows 10, I suggest that you follow the steps outlined in these support articles:

Make sure you're signed in with your Microsoft account to
    account.microsoft.com/family

If you would like me to provide additional advice, simply respond to this thread. I will get notified and I’ll reply to you as soon as I can.

Carlo Fer, Jun 13, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft Family

1. Microsoft Family - Similar Threads - Microsoft Family

2. Microsoft Family Features.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Family Features.: it's simple. all I want to know is how to uninstall Microsoft Family Features because it is blocking me from using Google Chrome. it shouldn't be connected to Google Chrome so I don't know what to do....
  3. Chrome Blocked by Microsoft Family

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Chrome Blocked by Microsoft Family: See image below. My daughter is an adult, but we created her account many years ago. She is no longer part of our "Microsoft Family" but cannot access chrome. We tried adding her back in to the family and granting permission. Nothing works. HELP! [ATTACH]...
  4. Bug: "Microsoft Family" member activity was not reported for weeks on end

Bug: "Microsoft Family" member activity was not reported for weeks on end: One of my children (child A) had been using another child's account (child B) to circumvent time limits. I had suspected this, but felt reassured because the "Child B" account information in Microsoft Family was constantly blank. It turns out Microsoft Family misreported...
  5. Child's Microsoft Family Account Not Updating

Child's Microsoft Family Account Not Updating: I used to be able to update my child's account remotely, via my laptop or phone, but now that doesn't work anymore. I can see the changes on the family page, but the device doesn't sync properly. I can give access to the device and additional time directly on the machine, but...
  6. Microsoft family setup - I want to use gmail accounts for child but it is not working

Microsoft family setup - I want to use gmail accounts for child but it is not working: Is it possible to set up the family members using gmail accounts instead of Microsoft accounts? I was able to do one child via the xbox but now that I am on a computer it will not allow this for the other children. I do not want to set up Microsoft accounts for the other...
  7. Microsoft family requires the child sign in again and again

Microsoft family requires the child sign in again and again: Microsoft Family requires the child sign in again every single day otherwise - this weekly report will not reflect their screen time and recent activity for that device. I receive a message on the child’s account. How many times should he sign-in?...
  8. microsoft family time limit, without any family accounts?

microsoft family time limit, without any family accounts?: ok so basically my old account (closing rn) was prevoiusly a part of a microsoft family account, listed as a child and there was a 2 hour time limit set from years back when my account was controlled by my dad. but i signed in with it (forgetting it was a child account) and...
  9. Share a photo album with ONLY family microsoft accounts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Share a photo album with ONLY family microsoft accounts: Hi everyone, Back in the day, I was able to share photos with my family using onedrive. It let me select their Microsoft Account and select view or edit. I've tried to do this with a photo album tonight, but the only option seems to be to share it with a link... i.e. no...
  10. Microsoft Family Features are broken.

Microsoft Family Features are broken.: So today i got my dad to allows access into Google chrome. Later on, i tried access google chrome, but it said ask a parent. I think it is broken. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-family-features-are-broken/e511030d-b746-4bda-99fc-40f9bce57050"