Windows 10: Microsoft Family

Discus and support Microsoft Family in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I bought a new, cheap laptop about a week ago which was working fine. This was the first computer I've signed in with my Microsoft account (did it on a... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by jadenj, Jun 13, 2019.

1. jadenj Win User

Microsoft Family

I bought a new, cheap laptop about a week ago which was working fine. This was the first computer I've signed in with my Microsoft account (did it on a phone once or twice). Then I got home to find Chrome not working; it gave me the "you'll need a new app to open this...". So I was like what an inconvenience, but nothing I cant handle(with the help of websites like this one). I followed some instruction and it looked like it worked because that error message went away.

But now when ever I try to run chrome in anyway, it says "You'll need to ask permission from a family member to use Chrome, (then the button says) ask by email". At this point I'm just lost. I never put in any other emails but mine nor set up family stuff. I go online to check my account family and, to my surprise, 3 of my old friends from when I was like 13 were my "family" with one of them as the adult and everyone else as a child! The only way I can see that ever happening is when we hung out and played on the same Xbox where I might have signed in on(even though I personally don't have an Xbox)

So my question is this: is there any way to by pass that or do I have to find those friends again and hope they still use that account?

:)

jadenj, Jun 13, 2019
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Microsoft Family Screen Time

Hi Laurel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

This could happen when the child account fails to sync with the server. I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Open
      File Explorer
      and navigate to the following location:
    • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls

Note:
      The above mentioned directory is hidden, copy and paste the same location on the search bar in the File Explorer to access it.
    • Delete the contents in the
      \\settings
      directory of the Parental Controls folder.
    • Reboot the machine to see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, you may want to remove the child account from Microsoft family and add it again.

• To know how to remove an account from Microsoft Family, refer:

Remove members from your family group
    • To know how to add an account to Microsoft Family, refer:

Add members to your family group

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jun 13, 2019
  3. Microsoft Family

Hi,

It could be because of the settings on the Family and Safety feature or the account you're using is added to a Family. With that being said, we suggest that you check if the account that you are using is a part of the
    Family list. To check on it, go to Cortana
    and search for Family Options.

To remove your account to the Family, you may follow the steps below:

• Use the Adult account to log in using this link.
    • Click on the Family tab.
    • On the account that you want to remove, click More > Remove from family.
    • Then click Remove to confirm.

Let us know how it goes and feel free to get back to us if you need further assistance.

PreciousLeb, Jun 13, 2019
  4. Carlo Fer Win User

Microsoft Family

Microsoft family blocking chrome

Hello
    MayceHoag,

To disable family features and turn off family settings on Windows 10, I suggest that you follow the steps outlined in these support articles:

Make sure you're signed in with your Microsoft account to
    account.microsoft.com/family

If you would like me to provide additional advice, simply respond to this thread. I will get notified and I’ll reply to you as soon as I can.

Carlo Fer, Jun 13, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft Family

1. Microsoft Family - Similar Threads - Microsoft Family

2. Edge browser with Microsoft Family is any better?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Edge browser with Microsoft Family is any better?: Is there any extra benefit of Microsoft Edge browser when use with Microsoft Family then chrome? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edge-browser-with-microsoft-family-is-any-better/c88aefdd-c4a5-4aa0-829f-1aaa1ca02a22
  3. Please define what counts as "Screen time" in a Microsoft Family Safety report.

Please define what counts as "Screen time" in a Microsoft Family Safety report.: I can find no definition of the measure of "Screen time" in a Microsoft Family Safety report from *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. Can anyone please define what counts as "Screen time" in a Microsoft Family Safety report....
  4. Access to a Website using Microsoft Family

Access to a Website using Microsoft Family: I currently have Microsoft family on my laptop, which my two children use to complete school work, There is a website called Mathletics which when my youngest access it asks for permission to access it, which I do as it is to complete school work. But when he changed the...
  5. Microsoft Family

Microsoft Family: I currently have Microsoft family on my laptop, which my two children use to complete school work, There is a website called Mathletics which when my youngest access it asks for permission to access it, which I do as it is to complete school work. But when he changed the...
  6. Microsoft Family is preventing my son from using any browser besides Edge

Microsoft Family is preventing my son from using any browser besides Edge: Microsoft Family is preventing my son from using Chrome. I've give him permission to use Chrome. I've made sure that Chrome isn't on the blocked list. For some strange reason,I cannot whitelist apps. Even though there appears to be nothing in Microsoft Family settings that...
  7. Account removed from Microsoft family but still has screen time limit?

Account removed from Microsoft family but still has screen time limit?: I have removed my account from my Microsoft family as I am moving away but the computer still has the screen time limit imposed by the Microsoft family screen time limiter....
  8. Microsoft Rewards Family Members

Microsoft Rewards Family Members: I noticed you can share points between family members. Is there a limit how many family members? I have several family members that want to share their points with me but fear that Microsoft will think it's suspicious or something just because there is a few members sending...
  9. Microsoft Family Safety MFS

Microsoft Family Safety MFS: Hi, I have restricted access to about 10 websites in MFS but my son is still able to access any site he wants. Why is MFS not working? Other parts of MFS work, eg I can block chrome....
  10. I still see uninstalled programs into Microsoft Family Safety.

I still see uninstalled programs into Microsoft Family Safety.: Hello to everyone, I use Microsoft Family Safety block just for me, to ensure that I can focus myself more while studying. The problem is about all the apps that I still see into the section Limits of time I don't know if it's the proper translation. Anyway, I have recovered...