Windows 10: Microsoft finally drops the Microsoft Account requirement for Windows 11 Widgets

Discus and support Microsoft finally drops the Microsoft Account requirement for Windows 11 Widgets in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; When Microsoft launched Windows 11 with the Widgets feature, it became clear quickly that the initial feature set was limited. Apart from relying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Feb 14, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft finally drops the Microsoft Account requirement for Windows 11 Widgets

When Microsoft launched Windows 11 with the Widgets feature, it became clear quickly that the initial feature set was limited. Apart from relying solely on first-party widgets created by Microsoft, widgets also required a Microsoft account.

Microsoft finally drops the Microsoft Account requirement for Windows 11 Widgets widgets.png

Now, it appears, that both of these initial limitations are lifted. We have already seen the release of the first third-party widgets, at least in developer builds of the Windows 11 operating system. Eagle-eyed Twitter user PhantomOcean3 spotted a second change in recent versions of the operating system.

According to the post on Twitter, Windows 11 widgets do no longer require that users sign-in to use the provided features. A short screen capture attached to the post shows the Widgets interface without an account. The very top suggests to sign-in to an account to sync the interests across devices.

Microsoft signed-in users automatically to Widgets if they sign in to the Windows 11 operating system. Those who used a local Windows 11 account or signed-out could not use the Widgets panel in the past.

Tip: read Ashwin's guide on uninstalling widgets in Windows 11.

Anonymous Windows 11 widgets

Microsoft finally drops the Microsoft Account requirement for Windows 11 Widgets widgets-2.png

Microsoft launched the change in Windows 11 Insider builds, which it published in December 2022. Now, the feature is not restricted anymore. It needs to be noted, however, that users need the latest Windows Web Experience Pack on the Windows 11 device. It needs to be build 423.3000.10.0 or newer.

The Windows Web Experience Pack is available via the Microsoft Store. Once installed, Widgets becomes usable without a Microsoft Account. Installation of the app is straightforward.

Windows 11 users who are signed-in at the time may click on the profile icon in the Widgets interface to select the sign-out option from the context menu. Widgets remain visible on the screen, including customizations.

It is interesting to note that guest access still allows users to customize widgets. While customization of the feed is still done on a webpage, all changes made there are reflected in the widgets area, even when signed-out in Microsoft Edge. Widgets may also be enabled or disabled in the interface on the Windows 11 system directly.

A click on the plus icon in the Widgets interface displays the list of available widgets. These may then be enabled or disabled individually using the menu.

Some features may still require an account for data to be displayed. Generally speaking, widgets can be customized without account going forward. The main limitation for users who are not signed-in is that their customizations are not synced across their devices.

Closing Words

Microsoft addressed two of the main points of criticism leveled against widgets. It took the company nearly 18 months to do so, however, and it remains to be seen if the move improves use of the feature significantly. The first batch of third-party widgets, e.g., the Spotify and Meta widgets, may have the strength to pull more users into the ecosystem.

There is also a full-screen mode in development that is coming to stable builds of Windows 11 in the near future.

Now You: do you use Windows 11 and Widgets?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft finally drops the Microsoft Account requirement for Windows 11 Widgets appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Feb 14, 2023

2. Windows 11 Microsoft Account Requirement

Several third-party sources suggest that Windows 11 Home and/or Windows 11 Pro will soon require the use or creation of a Microsoft Account during installation or upgrade.

If a Microsoft account is in fact being required, can someone point me to where the requirement is described on the Microsoft site? Thanks!

HuskerTech, Feb 14, 2023
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Windows 11 Microsoft Account Requirement

Hi HuskerTech

I am Dave, I will help you with this.

The Microsoft Account requirement for Windows 11 Home is already in place, users cannot installWIndows11 without adding Microsoft Account details, and that is due to also be added to the Pro version, however, Microsoft have not done that yet, because many business users report they cannot add Microsoft Accounts to their systems.

With regards to the requirement, it is true a Microsoft account must be used during the installation process, but that can be removed once the installation is complete and the system can be switched back to a Local Account.

There is no specific article on this requirement form Microsoft, but they do list that as a requirement on several Windows11 information pages.

DaveM121, Feb 14, 2023
  4. malware Win User

Microsoft finally drops the Microsoft Account requirement for Windows 11 Widgets

Microsoft Announces Windows Vista Hardware Requirements

Microsoft today announced the official Windows Vista hardware requirements. If you want to run Windows Vista you'll need at least: 800MHz CPU , 512 MB of system memory, a graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable, and 15 GB HDD free space. If you plan to use the Windows Aero user interface you'll have to own at least:
    • 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor.
    • 1 GB of system memory.
    • A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero.
    • 128 MB of graphics memory.
    • 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
    • DVD-ROM Drive.
    • Audio output capability.
    • Internet access capability.
    Source: Microsoft

malware, Feb 14, 2023
Thema:

1. Microsoft finally drops the Microsoft Account requirement for Windows 11 Widgets - Similar Threads - Microsoft finally drops

2. How to Bypass Microsoft Account requirement Windows 11 Pro?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Bypass Microsoft Account requirement Windows 11 Pro?: My division recently purchased 20 laptops with Windows 11 Pro. I am in charge of setting them up. These laptops will be general devices to run specific applications and multiple departments will use them. Our IT department does not provide general emails for these laptops for...
  3. How to Bypass Microsoft Account requirement Windows 11 Pro?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Bypass Microsoft Account requirement Windows 11 Pro?: My division recently purchased 20 laptops with Windows 11 Pro. I am in charge of setting them up. These laptops will be general devices to run specific applications and multiple departments will use them. Our IT department does not provide general emails for these laptops for...
  4. Microsoft 11 dropping wifi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft 11 dropping wifi: Okay, so I just got a new PC built at micrometer, everything chosen specifically for graphics/gaming. I am CONSTANTLY having the wifi drop, when every other device in the house is still connected. We have Google fiber and before this have only once had an issue with internet...
  5. Microsoft 11 dropping wifi

Microsoft 11 dropping wifi: Okay, so I just got a new PC built at micrometer, everything chosen specifically for graphics/gaming. I am CONSTANTLY having the wifi drop, when every other device in the house is still connected. We have Google fiber and before this have only once had an issue with internet...
  6. Windows 11 Microsoft Account Requirement

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Microsoft Account Requirement: Several third-party sources suggest that Windows 11 Home and/or Windows 11 Pro will soon require the use or creation of a Microsoft Account during installation or upgrade.If a Microsoft account is in fact being required, can someone point me to where the requirement is...
  7. Windows 11 Microsoft Account Requirement

Windows 11 Microsoft Account Requirement: Several third-party sources suggest that Windows 11 Home and/or Windows 11 Pro will soon require the use or creation of a Microsoft Account during installation or upgrade.If a Microsoft account is in fact being required, can someone point me to where the requirement is...
  8. Windows 11 Pro Will Require A Microsoft Account, Why?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro Will Require A Microsoft Account, Why?: Why even push people into making accounts, if they don't want too. I see two reasons. If people are unaware, Microsoft is making Windows 11 Pro require aMicrosoft Account during install, also users won't be able to install offline I think.I'm glad to stay on Windows 10,...
  9. Windows 11 Pro Will Require A Microsoft Account, Why?

Windows 11 Pro Will Require A Microsoft Account, Why?: Why even push people into making accounts, if they don't want too. I see two reasons. If people are unaware, Microsoft is making Windows 11 Pro require aMicrosoft Account during install, also users won't be able to install offline I think.I'm glad to stay on Windows 10,...
  10. What's with requiring a microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    What's with requiring a microsoft account?: Right. I just bought an Acer Aspire TC. For reason when I began set up Windows required me to log into my microsoft account as well as set up a pin. What gives? How can I get rid to ms account? I already found how to kill the pin....