Windows 10: Microsoft fixed the game performance issue on Windows 10 devices

Discus and support Microsoft fixed the game performance issue on Windows 10 devices in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Some Windows users reported game performance issues after installation of the Windows 10 updates KB5000842 and KB5001330. The updates were released in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 24, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft fixed the game performance issue on Windows 10 devices

Some Windows users reported game performance issues after installation of the Windows 10 updates KB5000842 and KB5001330. The updates were released in March and April of 2021 to devices running Windows 10 version 2004, 20H2 and 21H1.

Ashwin wrote about the game performance issues caused by KB5001330, stating that users reported game performance drops after installation of recent Windows 10 updates.

Microsoft confirmed the problems later on. The known issues section of the updates in question contain the following description:

A small subset of users have reported lower than expected performance in games after installing this update. Most users affected by this issue are running games full screen or borderless windowed modes and using two or more monitors.

Games can be run in the three game modes full screen, borderless window or windowed.

Microsoft has a fix for the issue which will be deployed automatically to "consumer devices and non-managed business devices". The company is using a new feature, called Known Issue Rollback (KIR) to fix the issue on affected devices. The feature enables Microsoft to "quickly revert a single, targeted fix to a previously released behavior if a critical regression is discovered".

Microsoft fixed the game performance issue on Windows 10 devices windows-10-game-performance-issue-fix.png

KIR is supported in all Windows 10 versions starting with Windows 10 version 2004; some earlier versions have partial support for the feature only.

Microsoft notes that it may take up to 24 hours for "the resolution to propagate automatically". A restart of the device may apply the fix faster according to Microsoft.

Enterprise-managed devices need to install and configure a "special Group Policy" according to Microsoft. Administrators may download the MSI file on the support pages, e.g. this one. The link is listed in the workaround column of the described issue.

Closing words

Windows gamers who are affected by the game performance issue should see performance restored over the course of the next 24 hour period.

Now you: do you play games on your PCs? (via Deskmodder)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft fixed the game performance issue on Windows 10 devices appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 24, 2021

2. Microsoft Acknowledges Gaming Performance Issues Under Win 10 Creators Update

Microsoft made considerable noise on their vaulted Game Mode, a Windows feature which made its appearance in their latest Creators Update version of Windows 10. Game Mode was one of the foremost features in the latest Windows update, which was supposed to deliver improved performance in gaming or other full-screen 3D applications, by enabling more of the available CPU and GPU resources to be tapped into by specific applications. Specific CPU (through winding down of non-crucial processes) and GPU (through prioritization of game-related graphics memory allocation) improvements were baked into this latest version; supposedly, only performance improvements should result from this effort on Microsoft's part.

Microsoft fixed the game performance issue on Windows 10 devices lQBiXY0OjUF4ORkG_thm.jpg

Microsoft fixed the game performance issue on Windows 10 devices JyHHZtlMjCxGaJaH_thm.jpg

However, things are not as rosy as they should be, and users soon started reporting performance issues with stuttering and lower than expected frame-rates under the latest version of Windows - which didn't occur prior to the Creators Update. Microsoft has been mum on the issue; until now. The company has now officially acknowledged that there are indeed situations where gamers could experience frame-rate and stuttering issues, and has even issued a fix for one such situation with the latest, fast-ring build 16273 and above versions of Windows. However, this has fixed only one of multiple origin points for the reported issues.

Some users are reporting that disabling the Xbox Game DVR feature eliminates the issues, but this isn't working for every user that remains affected. Likely, the issue lies with Microsoft's Game Mode interface and Xbox interface additions to Windows 10 with the Creators Update. It's somewhat of a paradox: at the same time that Microsoft introduces specific CPU and GPU workload optimizations for full-screen applications, they introduce an additional interface layer on top of your 3D application, enabling additional Xbox-based functionality (such as the aforementioned DVR capability). Likely, that's the culprit of the whole performance issues; it remains to be seen whether all sources of the performance issues will be fixed through windows updates, or if users will have to wait until the Fall Creators Update for a fully resolved scenario.

Microsoft fixed the game performance issue on Windows 10 devices ksrDwSGWoxgD7ZoP_thm.jpg

Sources: MS PowerUser, Windows Feedback Hub, via Neowin

Raevenlord, Apr 24, 2021
  3. New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Apr 24, 2021
  4. Microsoft fixed the game performance issue on Windows 10 devices

Solitaire game performance issues on Windows 10.

Hi David,

The above issue might occur due to the following reasons:

• Game files and folders corrupted or missing in the computer.
    • Uninstalled game updates on the PC.
    • Corrupted user profile.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Did you check for the game updates from Windows Store?
    • Did you check if similar issue persists on uninstalling and reinstalling the game?

Running the troubleshooter will help in detecting and identifying the issue and in certain cases will fix the same to enhance the performance of the system.

Method 1: Run Windows apps troubleshooter to
    check if the any of the app files are missing or corrupted.

In many cases, the Windows Store will automatically notify you if there’s a problem with an app and try to fix the problem. If you continue experiencing problems with an app, this tool can automatically identify and fix some problems
    with apps and the Store.

Method 2: Check if any pending game and store updates are to be installed on the computer by following the steps below:

• Open Windows Store and click on the user profile name located at the top right of the window.
    • Select Downloads and updates from the options.
    • Click on Check for updates from the window and check if you have any pending updates to be installed.
    • After the pending updates are installed, close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Method 3: If the issue persists, uninstall and re-install the game by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard and click on
      All apps
      located at the bottom left corner of the Start menu.
    • Locate the game from the list, right click and select Uninstall from the context menu.
    • Go to Windows Store, search the game, install and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of Solitaire game issue experienced on the PC in the same post for further assistance.
    Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Apr 24, 2021
Thema:

Microsoft fixed the game performance issue on Windows 10 devices

1. Microsoft fixed the game performance issue on Windows 10 devices - Similar Threads - Microsoft fixed game

2. Windows 11 Issues Gaming/Performance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Issues Gaming/Performance: Very long but I want to be as detailed as possible for helpful feedbackJust had windows 11 update but it's giving me difficulties. This is mostly b/c it greatly interferes with gaming, but also whenever accessing Microsoft Edge my screen becomes static bars & it takes at...
  3. Windows 11 Issues Gaming/Performance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Issues Gaming/Performance: Very long but I want to be as detailed as possible for helpful feedbackJust had windows 11 update but it's giving me difficulties. This is mostly b/c it greatly interferes with gaming, but also whenever accessing Microsoft Edge my screen becomes static bars & it takes at...
  4. Microsoft is testing a fix for AMD's Windows 11 performance issue

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is testing a fix for AMD's Windows 11 performance issue: Microsoft released a new build to Beta and Release Preview Channels of the company's Windows 11 operating system a few hours ago. The patch includes a huge number of fixes for issues in Windows 11, including a fix for the L3 caching issue of AMD Ryzen processors that can...
  5. Microsoft fixes game performance and blurry text issues in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft fixes game performance and blurry text issues in Windows 10: Microsoft released a new update to the Beta and Release Preview channels of its Windows 10 Insiders program that fix several issues affecting some users of the company's operating system. Most updates are pushed to Insider channels first to give them another round of testing...
  6. Microsoft is testing a fix for performance issues in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is testing a fix for performance issues in Windows 10: Following the release of March 2021 cumulative updates, users started reporting serious problems, including issues with certain printers and games. While the printer issue was immediately patched, Windows 10’s bug that resulted in performance issues somehow slipped into the...
  7. Windows 10 KB5001330: Microsoft issues emergency fix for performance issues

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 KB5001330: Microsoft issues emergency fix for performance issues: Windows 10 appears to be getting a new server-side update and it’s one that you might want to apply if you’ve been having any kind of performance issues, such as stuttering, flickering or text rendering issues when playing certain games. As we reported recently, performance...
  8. Performance Issues - Device Performance & Health Scan?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Performance Issues - Device Performance & Health Scan?: I have a PC that is about 3 years old, running Windows 10 Home 64 Bit. Starting sometime in late Oct it started randomly accessing drives/CPU/? every so often, causing significant stuttering and making it generally unusable for a few minutes at a time until it is done. It...
  9. Performance issues in games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Performance issues in games: Hello, I am experiencing performance issues while playing games. The game platform I mostly use for gaming is Steam. For a small amount of time, the game runs fast but after 1-2 minutes it starts lagging and then stops which keeps repeating all over again. I'm not sure if...
  10. Microsoft promises fix for Windows 10 performance and Search issues

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft promises fix for Windows 10 performance and Search issues: Windows 10 KB4512941, which is an optional cumulative update that Microsoft shipped for everyone, generates high CPU usage and also breaks down Windows Search on some devices. Following the various reports, Microsoft has finally acknowledged at least two known issues with...