Windows 10: Microsoft forced update wipes my data

Discus and support Microsoft forced update wipes my data in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently put my work computer to sleep mode and left for the day. In the morning it was slow to wake up and when it did, I noticed thatall off my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JaWoHc, Mar 3, 2020.

1. JaWoHc Win User

Microsoft forced update wipes my data

I recently put my work computer to sleep mode and left for the day. In the morning it was slow to wake up and when it did, I noticed thatall off my data was wiped out. My Intuit Quickbooks company file was gone, everything. I brought my computer in for repair and was informed that some select people get wiped out when there is a forced Microsoft update. This is terrible! Microsoft is a major player. How can this be overlooked? This cost me money for repair and several days of lost work not to mention payroll that needs to take place immediately. There is some info online about this and I see a few suggestions that it moved data to TEMP files and that I should go through about 100 steps to reestablish the blah blah blah, but why do I need to correct this in the first place?

:)

JaWoHc, Mar 3, 2020

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Mar 3, 2020
  3. Microsoft to Introduce Telemetry Data Viewer for Windows

Remember all that talk and noise regarding Microsoft's "automagical" telemetry data collection, and how that spurred the company to create a "telemetry-less" version of its Windows 10 operating system for the Chinese market? It seems Microsoft is keen to keep giving users more information on exactly what information is gathered and when - slowly but assuredly striving for greater transparency, and looking to garner increased trust from consumers and enterprises alike.

The much awaited capability is being baked in to the next major Windows 10 release, and Microsoft is giving Windows Insiders an early preview of the Windows Diagnostic Data Viewer utility. Adding to this new utility are some changes to the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard that will enable users to see and manage more data associated with their Microsoft accounts. Available to everyone in the Microsoft Store, the Diagnostic Data Viewer is separate from the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard, and "allows you to see, search, and take action with your diagnostic data." It's not clear yet what sort of telemetry features users will be able to stop Microsoft from collecting, if any. However, at least now you'll be able to look at exactly which processes and services are collecting data form your system. The diagnostic data that will be viewable in the new utility follows.

Microsoft forced update wipes my data yDvisPRlBWJ8AKA6_thm.jpg

• Common Data, like the Operating System's name, the Version, Device ID, Device Class, Diagnostic level selection and so on.
    • Device Connectivity and Configuration such as device properties and capabilities, preferences and settings, peripherals, and device network information.
    • Product and Service Performance data that show device health, performance and reliability data, movie consumption functionality on the device and device file queries. It's important to note that this functionality is not intended to capture user viewing or, listening habits.
    • Product and Service Usage data includes details about the usage of the device, operating system, applications, and services.
    • Software Setup and Inventory such as installed applications and install history, device update information.
    Microsoft Privacy Dashboard
    Updates to the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard include a new Activity History page, which aims to provide a clear and easy to navigate way to see the data that is saved with users' Microsoft accounts. The Microsoft Privacy Dashboard further allows users to manage their data and change what data is collected by adjusting the privacy settings on their devices or browser at any time.

In the coming months, Microsoft will keep the slow roll-out of additional features that will allow users to:
    • View and manage media consumption data, as well as product and service activity on the Activity History page
    • Export for any of the data you see on the dashboard
    • Delete specific items to allow for greater individual control

Raevenlord, Mar 3, 2020
  4. Microsoft forced update wipes my data

Microsoft forced updates

Hello,

A driver is a program that controls a device that is connected to your computer. Having an outdated driver after installing a Windows update may cause functionality issues due to incompatibility and this may be the reason you're experiencing screen flickering.
    To resolve the said issue, we suggest that you refer
    here
    which lists all troubleshooting steps suitable for screen flickering in Windows 10.

Let us know if the steps on the link addressed your concern.

Angela Pun, Mar 3, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft forced update wipes my data

1. Microsoft forced update wipes my data - Similar Threads - Microsoft forced update

2. Windows 10 Forced Update wiped 500GB of Data on HD partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Forced Update wiped 500GB of Data on HD partition: So, I ran Recuva but all it came up with was a .tmp file. Are there any alternatives for recovery? At this point I just think it's gone unfortunately as I was unable to run a backup on an external drive before this happened.If you have any ideas please let me know, otherwise...
  3. Windows 10 Forced Update wiped 500GB of Data on HD partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Forced Update wiped 500GB of Data on HD partition: So, I ran Recuva but all it came up with was a .tmp file. Are there any alternatives for recovery? At this point I just think it's gone unfortunately as I was unable to run a backup on an external drive before this happened.If you have any ideas please let me know, otherwise...
  4. Windows 10 Forced Update wiped 500GB of Data on HD partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Data wipe issues

Data wipe issues: I am trying to factory data reset rhis pc i just got to get rid of the previous owners files, and its been stuck on 68% for the last 2 coming on 3 days now. What can i do at this point? Im not trying to save any files, just trying to delete everything...
  6. Forced update wiped my computer.

Forced update wiped my computer.: I just booted up and found that Microsoft did a forced update that wiped my computer clean. It is now like an out of the box brand new computer save for virus software, quicken, and turbo tax. No pictures, no files, my business is gone, no favorites. Nothing. Any suggestions?...
  7. The new update forced me to wipe my hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The new update forced me to wipe my hard drive: So I had Windows installed on a SSD. The update automatically installed and gave me a BSoD, my computer refused to boot. No recovery option worked, I literally had to wipe my hard drive in order to install windows again. I'm extremely angry because I obviously lost all my...
  8. Data wipe

Data wipe: So I was wondering if I restart windows via wipe all data future how much disk space will windows take? submitted by /u/isusbog45 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gw2c59/data_wipe/
  9. Windows 10 update wiped my data

Windows 10 update wiped my data: I lost my IDM download list (from 2013) and license after an automatic Windows 10 update happened, is there any way to restore it? submitted by /u/putinmeister [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g45n78/windows_10_update_wiped_my_data/
  10. windows update wiped my data from my laptop

windows update wiped my data from my laptop: My laptop was updated and all of my data, apps and information was wiped. I am a student and 7 months worth of university work gone!! Why has it done this? It has not only happened once but three times now!! Why? And it did this without asking. I cannot rely on my laptop...