Windows 10: Microsoft game uninstall thinks it worked but failed and now I can't remove the files from...

Discus and support Microsoft game uninstall thinks it worked but failed and now I can't remove the files from... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I tried to uninstall the xbox game pass version of Sea of Thieves from my pc by following the usual Add or Remove programs process in system settings... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by PaulW_2020, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Microsoft game uninstall thinks it worked but failed and now I can't remove the files from...

I tried to uninstall the xbox game pass version of Sea of Thieves from my pc by following the usual Add or Remove programs process in system settings however after selecting uninstall for SOT the icon disappeared from the list of installed programs as if it successfully uninstalled but none of the storage space was freed up. I can see using WinDirStat that all the game files are still on my C: Drive under this path:

C: - Program Files - WindowsApps - Microsoft.SeaofThieves_2.94.8070.2_x64_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Since they are in the WindowsApps folder it says I do not have permission to delete the files. How do I get around this??

Thanks for any help

:)

PaulW_2020, Sep 3, 2020

2. microsoft game apps CAN'T uninstall

Hi Gloria,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Which are the games you would like to remove?
    • Do you get any error message when you try to uninstall?
    Example: Microsoft solitaire collection is the game which comes preinstalled with Windows 10. Follow the below steps to remove/uninstall the Microsoft solitaire collection from the Windows 10.

• Press Windows + I keys on the keyboard to open settings menu.
    • Click on System.
    • Click on Apps and features from the system settings menu.
    • Locate and click on the Microsoft solitaire collection
      from the list of apps installed under the Apps and features.
    • Click on Uninstall. (click on Uninstall if any window prompts)
    By following the above steps, you may remove/uninstall any app/game which comes preinstalled with Windows 10.

Hope the information helps. Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Sep 3, 2020
  3. WiIfred P Win User
    UNINSTALL GAMES FROM MICROSOFT

Hi Calaird,

This is Wil, one of the independent advisor, an expert with Windows 10 and a fellow Windows 10 user like you. I understand your concern about Uninstalling games.

Reference:

If you installed your game from the Microsoft Store, follow these steps:

1. Press the Windows button on your device or keyboard, or select the Windows icon in the lower-left corner of the main screen.

2. Select All Apps, and then find your game in the list.

3. Right-click the game tile, and then select Uninstall.

4. Follow the steps to uninstall the game.

5. To reinstall your game, open the Store app, and then select the profile button.

6. Select My Library.

7. Locate your game in the list of available downloads, and then select the download icon to the right.

If you installed your game from a location other than the Microsoft Store, such as a DVD or external storage device, follow these steps:

1. Press the Windows button on your device or keyboard, or select the Windows icon in the lower-left corner of the main screen.

2. Select Settings, and then in the search bar, type “Programs and features.”

3. Select Programs and Features from the search results.

4. Highlight your game in the list of available programs and apps.

5. If your game supports repair, Repair will appear as an option above the list of games. Select this option to access the in-game repair process. Alternatively, some games support repair via the Uninstall/Change options. If you don't see "Repair," select Uninstall
    or Change from the available options and check to see if the game supports repair.

I hope my suggestions help you. If you need further assistance please do reply back and I will respond as quickly as possible. Have a nice day.

Thanks,

Wilfred P.

Independent Advisor

WiIfred P, Sep 3, 2020
  4. slozomby Win User

Microsoft game uninstall thinks it worked but failed and now I can't remove the files from...

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Sep 3, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft game uninstall thinks it worked but failed and now I can't remove the files from...

1. Microsoft game uninstall thinks it worked but failed and now I can't remove the files from... - Similar Threads - Microsoft game uninstall

2. Can't uninstall game from Game Pass

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't uninstall game from Game Pass: Hi.Reently i unistalled game "The Ascend" via "Xbox App". Today I realized that I still have game on a disc in WindowsApps folder. I have full acces to WindowsApp folder, but It is impossible to unistall the CurveDigital.TheAscent... folder. It shows that I need access.I...
  3. Can't uninstall game from Game Pass

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't uninstall game from Game Pass: Hi.Reently i unistalled game "The Ascend" via "Xbox App". Today I realized that I still have game on a disc in WindowsApps folder. I have full acces to WindowsApp folder, but It is impossible to unistall the CurveDigital.TheAscent... folder. It shows that I need access.I...
  4. Can't uninstall game from Game Pass

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't uninstall game from Game Pass

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Windows Apps Ordner / Program Files [Can't Remove Program Files from an Uninstalled Game]

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Apps Ordner / Program Files [Can't Remove Program Files from an Uninstalled Game]: Guten Morgenich habe mir über den Xbox Game Pass den Microsoft Flight Simulator installiert. Nun habe ich diesen wieder deinstalliert und es bleiben die Ordner Windows Apps und Program Files auf dem Speicher bestehen. Da ich aber das Spiel deinstalliert habe möchte ich diese...
  7. Reset Microsoft Store, Now I think it uninstalled itself

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Reset Microsoft Store, Now I think it uninstalled itself: I reset microsoft store because it was giving me errors when trying to install apps, now it wont let me open it. It still comes up when I search for it in the start menu, but in Apps and Features, it's not there anymore, and I can't reinstall it through powershell. What...
  8. UNINSTALL GAMES FROM MICROSOFT

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    UNINSTALL GAMES FROM MICROSOFT: IS THERE A WAY TO UNINSTALL GAMES FROM MICROSOFT THAT ARE NO LONGER USED? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uninstall-games-from-microsoft/df778919-8f14-4fcc-969e-e3afbdf9c66e
  9. I can't uninstall a game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't uninstall a game: First of all, I have Windows 10 Mobile. I had a problem in one game. When I asked the support of that game, they told me that i have to uninstall the game, restart my device and I need to reinstall the game. I pressed the uninstall button, but it didn't uninstall fully,...
  10. Game Failed To Install from Microsoft Store and Now, I Can't Find The Install Files To Delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game Failed To Install from Microsoft Store and Now, I Can't Find The Install Files To Delete: So this game was 44 gigs when it failed to install. Now, I'm trying to download it again but the install files never deleted previously and I can't find it. Basically, there's 44 gigs of this game that is unaccounted for which won't let me reinstall because my harddrive...