Windows 10: Microsoft has a fix for unwanted program window rearrangements on multi-display systems

Discus and support Microsoft has a fix for unwanted program window rearrangements on multi-display systems in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Multi-monitor systems are quite popular in the work place and also at home as they may improve productivity significantly. Developers may use multiple... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 30, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft has a fix for unwanted program window rearrangements on multi-display systems

Multi-monitor systems are quite popular in the work place and also at home as they may improve productivity significantly. Developers may use multiple monitors to display more code on the screen or documentation, writers and researchers may use it for Office apps and research programs, and streamers to keep an eye on their channels while streaming a game.

If you worked on multi-monitor systems before, you may have run into a frustrating issue. When you recover a device from sleep, application windows may have been moved without your doing in the meantime. It is a frustrating experience, especially when you have to rearrange program windows after waking a device from sleep.

Microsoft has a fix for unwanted program window rearrangements on multi-display systems multi-monitor_taskbar.jpg

Up until now, third-party programs such as WindowManager, Auto Window Manager, or Window Resizer offered a workaround for the issue.

Microsoft has created a fix for the issue and is already testing it on the Windows Insider channel. According to a blog post on the Microsoft DirectX Dev Blog, it fixes issues on devices that connect to at least two (desktop) or one (laptop) external monitors.

Microsoft employee Michelle Xiong, program manager of the Grapics Team, explains why the issue occurs:

The technical terminology we use to describe this problem is known as Rapid Hot Plug Detect (Rapid HPD). This behavior impacts DisplayPort multi-monitor setups which results in unwanted desktop rearrangements. We have worked towards mitigating desktop rearrangements when Rapid HPD occurs.

The fix is available in Windows OS builds 21287 and newer, and a system that is connected to multiple monitors. Desktop systems require at least two external monitors, laptops at least one external monitor.

The build number suggests that the fix could find its way into Windows 10 version 21H2, out in the second half of 2021.

The solution works for all monitor manufacturers, hardware specs, connector types and cable brands according to Microsoft.

Now You: how many monitors do you use?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft has a fix for unwanted program window rearrangements on multi-display systems appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 30, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

Microsoft fixes unexpected app rearrangement from sleep in Windows 10

Source: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/direc...rearrangement/

Brink, Apr 30, 2021
  3. Microsoft signals end of Paint program

Microsoft has confirmed that it will continue to offer its graphics program Paint.

In a recent update, it had listed Paint as a feature that would be either removed or no longer developed.

Paint, renowned for its simplicity, has been part of the Windows operating system since its launch in 1985.

Microsoft suggested it would not remain on Windows 10 by default but did say it would be available for free on the Windows Store.

BBC news Report here
    Microsoft Paint avoids brush with death

dorsetknob, Apr 30, 2021
  4. zbook Win User

Microsoft has a fix for unwanted program window rearrangements on multi-display systems

Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Apr 30, 2021
Thema:

1. Microsoft has a fix for unwanted program window rearrangements on multi-display systems - Similar Threads - Microsoft has fix

2. Multi Display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multi Display: How can i make screens 1 + 2 extended but have screen 3 mirror screen 1?Screen three is in another room. I want it to be able to display my main desktop so i can see notifications.The other two screens should function as side-by-side screens....
  3. Multi Display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multi Display: How can i make screens 1 + 2 extended but have screen 3 mirror screen 1?Screen three is in another room. I want it to be able to display my main desktop so i can see notifications.The other two screens should function as side-by-side screens....
  4. Multi-display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multi-display: So this is very embarassing to me, I've tried multiple possibilities to be able to work on 2 monitors which are the same, 2 Optix G24C from msi. Here's the thing, it simply doesn't get detected. while connected properly together. Monitor 1 is connected to computer and works...
  5. Multi-display

Multi-display: So this is very embarassing to me, I've tried multiple possibilities to be able to work on 2 monitors which are the same, 2 Optix G24C from msi. Here's the thing, it simply doesn't get detected. while connected properly together. Monitor 1 is connected to computer and works...
  6. Rearranging 2nd Display Doesn't Rearrange Icons

Rearranging 2nd Display Doesn't Rearrange Icons: My 2nd monitor is to the right of my main monitor. I have icons on that monitor. When I go to the office, my 2nd monitor is above my main monitor. But when I rearrange the 2nd display to be above, the desktop items don't follow. They just disappear. How do I rearrange the...
  7. Rearranging displays...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rearranging displays...: First things first: Dell Optiplex, Windows 10 up to date, and two monitors attached via display port. Okay, now the question. Why can't I rearrange the monitors?! Windows has monitor #1 left as secondary and monitor #2 right as the main monitor. I want them switched. I...
  8. multi displays

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    multi displays: I have a graphics card that will take 3 monitos, with the latest drivers installed. Has 2 HDMI 1 Display Port. Main monitor is in display port, 1 other monitor is of course in the HDMI port.. The problem is when I connect the 3rd monitor to the other HDMI port Win 10 goes...
  9. Multi-displays

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multi-displays: How can I keep my computer monitor displaying computer matters, while having the HDMI monitor feed showing other programming like movies https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multi-displays/0d1a2b0d-3fee-4d06-bd7c-83194f232c1e
  10. Multi-Display Issues with opening programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Multi-Display Issues with opening programs: I have absolutely no idea how to explain this any simpler but here goes nothing. I have a two monitor setup with my primary monitor used strictly for gaming or music production. On my secondary monitor I like to do everything else such as web browsing, graphic design, etc....