Windows 10: Microsoft hijacking my computer with UpdateOrchestrator

Discus and support Microsoft hijacking my computer with UpdateOrchestrator in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This is completely unacceptable. Microsoft should compensate for wasted electricity. Not only the computer is running but the screens are forced to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Danielhatesmicrosoft, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Microsoft hijacking my computer with UpdateOrchestrator

This is completely unacceptable. Microsoft should compensate for wasted electricity. Not only the computer is running but the screens are forced to stay on too which normally turn off after 30 minutes of inactivity. I have wasted 24+ hours on this nonsense. Some of the questions online about the SAME problem with the SAME solutions date back to 2015. I regret paying for this product.

Poweshell reveals the culprits:
    Get-ScheduledTask where {$_.settings.waketorun}

UpdateOrchestrator\ Backup Scan
    and
    UpdateOrchestrator\ Universal Orchestrator Start

fyi Command Prompt does not reveal any information through "powercfg /lastwake":
    Wake History Count - 1
    Wake History [0]
    Wake Source Count - 0

Things done:
    Power options all set to disable wake timers persistent
    Network card disabled from waking up the computer never was anyway. Other hardware not indicated either never was.
    Never used teamviewer. Never had mediacenter.
    Only Powershell shows the offending tasks Get-ScheduledTask where {$_.settings.waketorun}
    Need PSTools to launch Task Scheduler or I cannot do anything.
    Have tried: deleting
    disabling "wake computer to run this task"
    disable altogether
    Taken ownership of the task
    All of these get reset latest next day.

Set up a task to disable them every hour: Run PowerShell.exe with the arguments -Command "C:\Windows\Manual Override\disable_wakejobs.ps1"
    The content of "disable_wakejobs.ps1": Get-ScheduledTask ? {$_.Settings.WakeToRun -eq $true -and $_.State -ne "Disabled"} % {$_.Settings.WakeToRun = $false; Set-ScheduledTask $_}
    Also ran in powershell admin: "Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned" first
    This worked for like 2 days and never again. The task has System ownership and runs with highest privileges.

Changed Group Policy: Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update
    Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates
    to Disabled

Modified the Registry
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator
    Deleting contents, but just gets reset in a day or two.

DO NOT waste my time with arrogant "are your drivers up to date" or safe or recovery mode or whatever you call it nowadays.

5 year old problem ruining computers and wasting energy. I've had malware less damaging than this operating system.

:)

Danielhatesmicrosoft, Jan 10, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Microsoft Edge Hijacked by yahoo

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

• What do you mean by Microsoft Edge hijacked by yahoo?

• What is the exact issue that you’re facing with Microsoft Edge?

• What are the steps have you tried?

• Since when are you facing the issue?

Reply with necessary information so that we can assist you better.

Thanks and Regards.

Arun B J, Jan 10, 2020
  3. Browser hijacked by safesurfs.com Malware

After reading what you went through I would strongly suggest you read the advice of Monkey57 and try his steps. Normally

Browser hijackers
    don't show this kind of behavior and more could be going on. Normally I don't suggest Resetting your computer but in this case....

Yuri Pustjens, Jan 10, 2020
  4. Microsoft hijacking my computer with UpdateOrchestrator

How to delete UpdateOrchestrator sense it will not allow me to disable it

Greg,

As you suggested I have changed my connection status to metered, viewing the Orchestrator in Task Scheduler/Task Scheduler Library/Microsoft/Windows/UpdateOrchestrator I now find:

Maintenance Install: Disabled

MusUx_UpdateInterval: Ready

Reboot: Disabled

Schedule Retry Scan: Ready

Schedule Scan: Ready

USO_Broker_Display: Ready

At least now the Maintenance Install and Reboot are disabled, which is step in the right direction.
    However when viewing services (services.msc) UpdateOrchestrator is listed as Automatic (delayed Start), which starts without notice or warning thus causing system lag and most of the time freezing of programs; and if the program has suspended for a length
    of time it is closed automatically, which means loss of data and time to reenter the data when I can access the program again.
    Only time will tell if this had actually solved my issue with Update Orchestrator.

I thank you for your assistance and suggestions, and wish you clear horizons, fair winds and a star to guide by.

PatrickCovich, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft hijacking my computer with UpdateOrchestrator

1. Microsoft hijacking my computer with UpdateOrchestrator - Similar Threads - Microsoft hijacking computer

2. Help Microsoft hijacked my computer!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help Microsoft hijacked my computer!!: Microsoft took over my computer, everything disappeared all files and photos and took over administrative things. It won't let me use a recovery program because it says I am just a standard user. It changed user name and owner of my computer. What do I do to get my computer...
  3. Help Microsoft hijacked my computer!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help Microsoft hijacked my computer!!: Microsoft took over my computer, everything disappeared all files and photos and took over administrative things. It won't let me use a recovery program because it says I am just a standard user. It changed user name and owner of my computer. What do I do to get my computer...
  4. Help Microsoft hijacked my computer!!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. hijacked computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hijacked computer: How can I tell if someone hijacked my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hijacked-computer/56d15fc4-bb49-4535-8d35-7cb87832637e
  6. hijacked computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hijacked computer: How can I tell if someone hijacked my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hijacked-computer/56d15fc4-bb49-4535-8d35-7cb87832637e
  7. Grandchild hijacked my computer!!!!

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Grandchild hijacked my computer!!!!: I need to reclaim my computer. I am the only administrator on my desktop Computer. My 12 year old grand daughter has downloaded her school files onto my computer and somehow allowed the school to take over my computer. It won't allow me to Change anything. I need to reset...
  8. TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator wakes computer

in Windows 10 Support
    TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator wakes computer: This seems to be waking my computer every morning at 12:32AM. I would appreciate info on how to stop this. Here are the details: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter Date: 1/31/2020 12:32:32 AM Event ID: 1 Task Category: None Level: Information...
  9. UpdateOrchestrator

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    UpdateOrchestrator: Hi. First time posting. My computer got woken up at 3 am and it was doing nothing , woken up, spending electricity and raising the bills until i saw it now at 11 am. I have tried to disable this event and nothing has worked . I need a solution to this problem because i...
  10. Microsoft is hijacking my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft is hijacking my computer: It has been months now since the latest Windows 10 upgrade and I am going in circles with this upgrade. It barely finished installing it that it starts downloading again, slows down my computer, not allowing me to work, practically hijacking my computer. I have had...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. backup scan task

2. windows 10 update orchestrator backup scan has never run

3. lastwake updateorchestrator/backup