Windows 10: Microsoft installing unwanted apps

Discus and support Microsoft installing unwanted apps in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I recognize that this forum is not attended by the folks at Microsoft, but hope someone can give me some insight. For the third time in several months... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Shoya52, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Shoya52 Win User

Microsoft installing unwanted apps

I recognize that this forum is not attended by the folks at Microsoft, but hope someone can give me some insight. For the third time in several months when I booted my computer this morning I discovered that once again Microsoft had installed software I do not want; did not request and did not authorize. In this case it is the latest version of what I consider to be the worst browser available - MS Edge. In the process, they reset the default browser, deleted most of my bookmarks thankfully backed up elsewhere and installed several "help" programs I do not use nor want. As I stated, this is the third time this has happened. I have set my updates to manual and have requested no install or update of user programs. Nonetheless, these settings apparently do not apply to MS apps - which the company appears to believe everyone needs/wants.

I'm unclear on what gives Microsoft the right to install software they determine necessary without consulting the user, but I suppose this is unavoidable if one chooses to use Windows. However, I am hoping there is some way to stop this from occurring. Every time this happens, I have to spend anything from a few minutes to an hour or more resetting my system so it is how I want it instead of how MS wants it. Example: I find Edge to be unreliable, clumsy and less efficient and accurate than Google Chrome or Firefox, thus I prefer using those browsers. Anyway, excuse the rant...but, if there is some way to stop Microsoft from installing unwanted software and resetting the defaults, I would appreciate the information. Thank you -

:)

Shoya52, Jun 25, 2020
  2. t_ski Win User
    t_ski, Jun 25, 2020
  3. Microsoft Apps not installing

Hi aniketbhattacharya,

There's a possibility that there's an issue with your Microsoft Store. I suggest that
    you try to reset your store cache by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R.

• Type "wsreset.exe" and press Enter.

• Check if it takes you to a store page which displays that the cache has been reset.

• Now try to open the store app and check.

We will wait for your response.

Regards.

Leviozar Gam, Jun 25, 2020
  4. David Haz Win User

Windows automatically installing unwanted apps

Hi John,

If you find that the apps are installing even if these are already installed, it means that the apps are updating. App publishers sometimes update their apps to add new features and fix problems, and these updates are automatically installed through the
    Microsoft Store. However, you may turn this setting off by following the steps below:

• On the Start screen, select Microsoft Store
      to open the Store.
    • Select the account menu (next to the search box), then select Settings.
    • Under App updates, set Update apps automatically
      to Off.

Regarding your question, the suggested solution will work with your edition of Windows 10. However, modifying the registry can cause serious problems to your computer if done incorrectly. If you are to modify the registry, kindly back up the registry before
    proceeding to modifying it. For information on how to back up and restore the registry in Windows, kindly read through this
    link.

If you have further questions about the Microsoft Store, feel free to ask us.

If you think this was useful, feel free to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

David Haz, Jun 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Microsoft installing unwanted apps - Similar Threads - Microsoft installing unwanted

2. Unwanted apps !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unwanted apps !: Good morning,after getting two replies about "unwanted apps" yesterday thankyouthe question is how do I install something I consider safe ? Will I have to turn off the protection while I download it and then add it to exclusions ? I tried to download it as a file this morning...
  3. Unwanted apps !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unwanted apps !: Good morning,after getting two replies about "unwanted apps" yesterday thankyouthe question is how do I install something I consider safe ? Will I have to turn off the protection while I download it and then add it to exclusions ? I tried to download it as a file this morning...
  4. Unwanted apps !

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Unwanted apps !

Unwanted apps !: After posting a question regarding unwanted apps, a few minutes ago I found this ! I guess it answers my question ! I am still unsure whether to turn this off or not ? I have used the Viddly downloader for a long time now so unsure what to do !BrianFound this !"Starting in...
  6. Unwanted apps !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unwanted apps !: After posting a question regarding unwanted apps, a few minutes ago I found this ! I guess it answers my question ! I am still unsure whether to turn this off or not ? I have used the Viddly downloader for a long time now so unsure what to do !BrianFound this !"Starting in...
  7. Unwanted Apps

Unwanted Apps: I have about 40 apps that automatically downloaded from the MS Store according to the Store without any request or action from me sometime after I installed Win 10. Many of these appear in the Start menu’s scrolling list of shortcuts, making it difficult to find what I’m...
  8. unwanted apps in Microsoft store

unwanted apps in Microsoft store: When I go to the Microspft store and go to My Library, I find all of these apps that I do not use or want. There is no option to delete them. I am given the option to share or launch, I do not want either one of those options. How do these apps get on a computer if I...
  9. Unwanted Installation

in Windows 10 Support
    Unwanted Installation: Hello, Today I have noticed in the list of installed programs a new fresh (today) installation "Microsoft OneDrive". I was not asked to accept this installation, I was even not notified it was installed on my computer. Now I do not know who owns my computer, microsoft or me....
  10. Unwanted Apps install automatically again

Unwanted Apps install automatically again: I thought this issue had been dealt with months ago, but today the following just keep installing themselves automatically again. If I uninstall them, they will re-install after 10-20 minutes: Bubble Witch 3 Saga Candy Crush Soda Saga Disney Magic Kingdoms Dolby Access March...