Windows 10: Microsoft introduces new App Installer template in Visual Studio 2019

Discus and support Microsoft introduces new App Installer template in Visual Studio 2019 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In the lasts months we have learned, here in this blog, how App Installer can help you distribute MSIX packages and keep them automatically updated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Brink Win User

Microsoft introduces new App Installer template in Visual Studio 2019

As you can see, all the information which are dynamic and which are dependent by the package configuration are included with a placeholder, wrapped inside graphs. All these values will be replaced with the ones from the manifest and from the project's configuration during the package creation wizard.

Which is the advantage of this approach? Let's say that we want to leverage the new feature to display a notification to the user when he opens the application and an update is available. We just need to add the ShowPrompt attribute to the OnLaunch entry, as in the following example:

Code: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <AppInstaller Uri="{AppInstallerUri}" Version="{Version}" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/appinstaller/2018"> <MainBundle Name="{Name}" Version="{Version}" Publisher="{Publisher}" Uri="{MainPackageUri}"/> <UpdateSettings> <OnLaunch HoursBetweenUpdateChecks="0" ShowPrompt="true" /> </UpdateSettings> </AppInstaller>[/quote]
    From now on, when we're going to generate a new package, all the parameters will be replaced with the real value, but the new ShowPrompt attribute, being fixed, will stay as it is.

Let's generate a package to test this. Right click on the Windows Application Packaging Project, choose Store → Create app packages and then, in the first screen, choose Sideloading and leave the option Enable automatic updates turned on. In the next step, choose the package configuration as usual, then hit Next. Now you will notice something different. You will still be able to configure the URL where you're going to deploy the package (which will be used to replace the {AppInstallerUri} parameter in the App Installer template), but you won't be able to configure the update frequency anymore. Additionally, the screen will display a warning that an App Installer template has been detected. Since now the update policies are controlled by the App Installer template, you don't need to set them anymore during the wizard. Actually, this is a good thing because the wizard doesn't support the new features introduced in Windows 10 1903, so the template gives you more flexibility.

Microsoft introduces new App Installer template in Visual Studio 2019 large?v=1.png

That's it. Now generate the package and, at the end of the process, you will see that the App Installer file will have retained the custom update frequency, but all the other values will have been replaced with the real ones which belong to your app:

Code: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <AppInstaller Uri="https://db-msixtest.azurewebsites.net/ContosoExpenses.Package.appinstaller" Version="1.0.5.0" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/appinstaller/2017/2"> <MainBundle Name="ContosoExpenses" Version="1.0.5.0" Publisher="CN=Matteo Pagani, O=Matteo Pagani, L=Como, S=Como, C=IT" Uri="https://db-msixtest.azurewebsites.net/ContosoExpenses.Package_1.0.5.0_Test/ContosoExpenses.Package_1.0.5.0_x86.msixbundle" /> <UpdateSettings> <OnLaunch HoursBetweenUpdateChecks="0" ShowPrompt="True" /> </UpdateSettings> </AppInstaller>[/quote]
    App Installer and Azure DevOps

If you have a CI/CD pipeline for your desktop application hosted on Azure DevOps, there's a good news! The latest image for the Windows hosted agent includes Visual Studio 2019 16.1, so you can leverage the App Installer template also in your pipeline. It's enough to use, as Windows image, the one called windows-2019, as described in the documentation. This way you'll be able to automatically deploy on a website the MSIX package and the custom App Installer file, without having to manually change it to support the new features added in Windows 10 1903.

Wrapping up

In this post have learned how, thanks to a new feature added in Visual Studio 2019 16.1, we can combine the best of both worlds when it comes to support the App Installer technology: the easiness of automatically generating an .appinstaller file as part of the package creation process and the flexibility of the new update features added in Windows 10 1903.

Happy packaging!

[/quote]
    Source: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...19/ba-p/739019

:)

Brink, Jul 5, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Visual Studio 2019 Preview 2 Blog Rollup

Source: Visual Studio 2019 Preview 2 Blog Rollup | Visual C++ Team Blog

See also: Visual Studio 2019 Launch Event on April 2 - Windows 10 Forums

Brink, Jul 5, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Announcing Windows Template Studio

Source: Announcing Windows Template Studio - Building Apps for Windows

Brink, Jul 5, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Visual Studio Roadmap Updates and Visual Studio 2019 Information

Source: Visual Studio Roadmap Updates and Visual Studio 2019 Information | The Visual Studio Blog

Brink, Jul 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Microsoft introduces new App Installer template in Visual Studio 2019 - Similar Threads - Microsoft introduces App

2. Visual Studio 2019

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Visual Studio 2019: Hello, i have a question. I wanna ask if its safe to uninstall Microsoft Visual Studio because it is taking 2 gigs from my drive. I dont need it just yet and i just wanna know if i can unistall it safely from my pc.Thank you for understanding....
  3. Visual Studio 2019

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Visual Studio 2019: Hello, i have a question. I wanna ask if its safe to uninstall Microsoft Visual Studio because it is taking 2 gigs from my drive. I dont need it just yet and i just wanna know if i can unistall it safely from my pc.Thank you for understanding....
  4. Visual Studio 2019 Installation Failure

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Visual Studio 2019 Installation Failure: I'm trying to install Visual Studio 2019 but get the following error message: "Authenticode verification returned 0x80096010 for path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\vs_installershell.exe." I've never seen it before. Any help would be greatly...
  5. visual studio 2019

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    visual studio 2019: How do i upload VS to a Server? I am trying to use VS as Expressions does not work anymore... I need help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/visual-studio-2019/3ed4af1c-0f49-47fb-96b2-2c298abab671
  6. Can't install the visual studio 2019

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't install the visual studio 2019: I have tried installing it manually, or through steam because i need it for a game to run it but everytime it displays the same message [ATTACH] it's the same for x64 and x86. If I try to do the 2015-2019 pack or the standalone 2019 Here is also a post here from another...
  7. Trouble installing Visual Studio 2019

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trouble installing Visual Studio 2019: I'm having trouble installing Visual Studio 2019. I have 2015 and 2017 on this computer. Do I need to remove 2015? Part of the problem is an app that I downloaded from the Microsoft store. It prints everything in Japanese. I can't get rid of it. Help please....
  8. visual studio 2019

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    visual studio 2019: while compiling i am getting unable to start program........... ........................................................ the system cant find the file specified https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/visual-studio-2019/340212e7-3f09-417e-86c5-b1e23c3ba984
  9. Microsoft Announces Visual Studio 2019

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Announces Visual Studio 2019: Since we launched Visual Studio 2017 in March of that year, it has become our most popular Visual Studio release ever. Your feedback has helped our team publish seven updates since our initial GA, which have improved solution load performance, build performance, and unit test...
  10. Introducing Visual Studio IntelliCode

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing Visual Studio IntelliCode: Visual Studio IntelliCode brings you the next generation of developer productivity by providing AI-assisted development. Every keystroke and every review is informed by best practices and tailored to your code context. You can try it out today by downloading the experimental...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. no Windows Application Packaging Project template vs 2019