Windows 10: Microsoft is bringing Modern Standby feature to Windows 10X

Discus and support Microsoft is bringing Modern Standby feature to Windows 10X in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Most traditional laptops take several seconds to wake and they don’t download your emails or social media updates in the background (i.e when the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Dec 27, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft is bringing Modern Standby feature to Windows 10X

Most traditional laptops take several seconds to wake and they don’t download your emails or social media updates in the background (i.e when the laptop is asleep). To address this problem, Windows 10 comes with ‘Modern Standby’ support, a special standby mode where your device will download data while it sleeps.

It appears that Windows 10X will also ship with Modern Standby feature to enable that instant-on, always-connected experience.

As you may be aware, Windows 10X is a new operating system built on top of Windows Core OS and it’s expected to launch between March and June 2021.

Although Microsoft doesn’t want to publically talk about Windows 10X and the future of Windows 10, it seems though the company has quietly updated older support documents with additional information on the next-gen operating system.

In a new update to the support document, Microsoft confirmed that it has added support for Modern Standby in Windows 10X.

Microsoft is bringing Modern Standby feature to Windows 10X Modern-Standby-mode.jpg

On Windows 10X devices, modern standby experience could be similar to the way phones work. For example, Windows 10X will download your emails, fetch social media updates, and update the content in Progressive Web Apps before you’ve even finished lifting the lid – because, even with your laptop asleep, it’s still connected and updating itself.

Microsoft is bringing Modern Standby feature to Windows 10X Windows-10X-single-screen.jpg Most Windows Store apps (UWP and PWAs) can take full advantage of this feature in Windows 10X. Programs like Outlook Mail, Calendar, Photos, OneDrive, etc can also download large files including attachments when your device sleeps.

Modern Standby is basically a low-power idle state that will allow your device to stay up to date when it is connected to cellular or Wi-Fi connection. It will also bring instant-on, always-connected and on-the-go experience to Windows 10X PCs.

We don’t have any more details about the new modern standby mode and we don’t know if it will work with a wider range of hardware.

In addition to Modern Standby, Windows 10X is also expected to ship with several new features and improvements, including a new File Explorer, reliable driver updates, and more.

The post Microsoft is bringing Modern Standby feature to Windows 10X appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Dec 27, 2020
  2. t0yz Win User

Can't enable Modern Standby

You need an exclusively UEFI PC (without Legacy support) for Modern/Connected, at least it's what I've heard. I guess if that Z390 doesn't have it, I am not really expecting any consumer desktops to implement it, I assume it would require manufacturers to kinda rewrite their BIOS. It is also indirectly suggested on Anandtech that the feature depends on the onboard WiFi:

Personally I love my Ethernet cables and 1Gbit speeds, and WiFi would be the last thing I'd do to my PC, but I would like to test this feature when I buy a new PC, since Z370 is clearly out of question. Considering that Z390 basically has onboard WiFi and Z370 doesn't , it further solidifies this as a potential WiFi only feature. Maybe it's possible for the PC to switch to WiFi for Connected Standby and then back to wire after it wakes up? That would be nice.

Edit: there's also this:
    "Modern Standby is only available on some SoC systems. When it's supported, the system does not support S1-S3."

Yeah... S3 is the "normal" standby. So if your firmware manufacturer supports that, it's bye-bye Modern? Ouch.

3. Is there any OS function that let us check system is going to enter modern standby?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Windows 10 Modern Standby (Modern Standby) expands the Windows 8.1 Connected Standby power model. Connected Standby, and consequently Modern Standby, enable an instant on / instant off user experience, similar to smartphone power models. Just like
    the phone, the S0 low power idle model enables the system to stay up-to-date whenever a suitable network is available.

We would suggest you to refer these articles for additional information:

What is Modern Standby?

Prepare software for modern standby

Modern standby SleepStudy

However, as you are into software development. Let me point you in the right direction, where you would get the appropriate help for this issue. I would suggest you to post your query in
    MSDN forums, where we have experts and support professionals
    who are well equipped with the knowledge on Modern Standby to assist you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Dec 27, 2020
  4. Microsoft is bringing Modern Standby feature to Windows 10X

Best Buy says all Windows 10 PC support Modern Standby now, Is this true ?

Good day!

Microsoft does not sustain a list of laptops or devices that support Modern Standby.

You will also find that Modern Standby is usually not listed on a specs sheet or features sheet.

The only way to tell is to type "powercfg /a" into a command prompt. If "S0 Low Power Idle" Is listed, then you get modern standby.

To be honest, I would say to not trust best buy. If you want to ask about the surface and other Microsoft products, you should live chat/call Microsoft and ask them as they know best. Best Buy is there to sell you products and they will usually try to tell
    you what you want to hear.

You could, however, go into best buy and run the command yourself to test it.

For what it is worth, laptop mag says "Many laptops — including many brand-new, premium systems — don't support Modern Standby"

https://www.****/articles/how-to-use-m...

Hope this helps

Zackary Vanosdol, Dec 27, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft is bringing Modern Standby feature to Windows 10X

1. Microsoft is bringing Modern Standby feature to Windows 10X - Similar Threads - Microsoft bringing Modern

2. Microsoft Modern Wireless Headset Standby issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Modern Wireless Headset Standby issue: Hello,i have the similar issue like this thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/forum/all/microsoft-modern-wireless-headset-stand-by/f6eba474-8822-4b8a-93d8-48861a4be832Recently bought the Modern Wireless Headset but it will disconnect when it is not used for an...
  3. Microsoft Modern Wireless Headset Standby issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Modern Wireless Headset Standby issue: Hello,i have the similar issue like this thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/forum/all/microsoft-modern-wireless-headset-stand-by/f6eba474-8822-4b8a-93d8-48861a4be832Recently bought the Modern Wireless Headset but it will disconnect when it is not used for an...
  4. Microsoft Modern Wireless Headset Standby issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. windows 11 modern standby

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 modern standby: HiWe are working on scheduled recordings using modern standby on regular desktop Windows 11PC with live TV Tuners. We use UWP notifications to wake from S0i3. The problem is that sometimes Windows wakes up and goes back to sleep in 30 seconds so our scheduled recordings are...
  6. windows 11 modern standby

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 modern standby: HiWe are working on scheduled recordings using modern standby on regular desktop Windows 11PC with live TV Tuners. We use UWP notifications to wake from S0i3. The problem is that sometimes Windows wakes up and goes back to sleep in 30 seconds so our scheduled recordings are...
  7. Windows Modern Standby - Sleep report

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Modern Standby - Sleep report: Hi,I've disabled on one of the laptops all possible sleep settings that it can be. Laptop still goes into sleep at a random times when lid is closed.Sleep report shows ENTER REASON0x101 Transition To SleepWhat is that code or how to find out reason why laptop enters sleep.If...
  8. Windows 10 massive update to bring Windows 10X features

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 massive update to bring Windows 10X features: Last year, Microsoft announced Windows 10X during the Surface event in New York City, but the operating system hasn’t been talked about much since. Microsoft also confirmed that Windows 10X will first launch on single-screen devices, but it’s not yet clear how the company...
  9. Windows 10 Crashing in Modern Standby

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Crashing in Modern Standby: As the title says, I've found from a SleepStudy report produced using Windows Powercfg that my computer is often crashing when it goes into Modern Standby -- generally for periods of longer than an hour. This has happened 3 times in the past 4 days. I think it has something...
  10. No option for "disconnected standby" anymore on modern standby device

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No option for "disconnected standby" anymore on modern standby device: I can't find any information about this, but did MS, for whatever reason, remove the toggle option on the WiFi settings to turn off WiFi during modern standby? The option isn't available anymore for my laptop. I am speaking about this option: https://i.imgur.com/jD6odQx.png...