Windows 10: Microsoft is eating all of my bandwidth

Discus and support Microsoft is eating all of my bandwidth in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have limited (3Mbps) bandwidth and most of the time my PC is asleep. And when I go to use it I can wait 10 to 20 minutes for it to download... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by deepskydiver, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Microsoft is eating all of my bandwidth

I have limited (3Mbps) bandwidth and most of the time my PC is asleep. And when I go to use it I can wait 10 to 20 minutes for it to download who-knows-what. So it's unusable for anything over the internet during that time.

I have Windows 10 Professional and have used the Group Policy Editor to allow me to control when I get updates. Specifically I've set it set to notify me for download and install.

But despite having set that, the IP addresses I can see in Resource Manager come up as downloads from MS. So I presume it's Windows Updates happening regardless. Does anyone have any ideas what's going on?

Microsoft is eating all of my bandwidth [​IMG]

:)

deepskydiver, Mar 29, 2017

2. "Service Host", eating my internet.

It is eating all of my internet bandwidth. Nothing is on, checked. No Windows Updates are downloading, no Store updates. Then what is eating it exactly? Here's the shot:

Mridu Harsh, Mar 29, 2017
  3. Svchost.exe have been consuming data on Windows 10.

Original Title: Svchost.exe have been eating my bandwidth ? downloading ?

Svchost.exe have been eating my bandwidth ? Its been 5 hours and 868MB until now. Is this normal windows update ? I am on Windows 10 Build 14393.10. I just updated to Anniversary update.

Dencel K Babu, Mar 29, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Microsoft is eating all of my bandwidth

Hi, assuming for a moment that's not due to Windows system updates then it might be due to
    a. Regular universal app updates (by default, a scan is done 4 hourly)
    b. Background app data updates (which you can control in Settings)

This free MS tool should give you more information:

Besides that, you can try a clean boot for comparison- should one of your startups happen to be responsible, if you don't then experience the problem, you can proceed to identify which it is.

dalchina, Mar 29, 2017
  5. Thanks I'll try that. Process Explorer doesn't seem to have columns for network traffic.

I have been through startup options and even looked for services which might be suspect. And of course it's MS IP addresses. I have no App store apps installed since new.

One thing I've noticed sometimes too is that when I respond to the notification of it being ready it doesn't seem to need to download it.. Which is why I'm suspicious it's just damned getting it anyway. I thought I'd cracked it when I set updates to not download, but that didn't seem to make any difference. It's as if it still downloads them.

6. Windows auto-downloads some store apps, so the user can choose to use them. *Rolleyes

Here are a few things, you might want to disable, run CMD as admin and copy/paste:

Auto-downloading of store apps.
    Code: reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CloudContent" /v "DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "ContentDeliveryAllowed" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "OemPreInstalledAppsEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "PreInstalledAppsEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "PreInstalledAppsEverEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "SilentInstalledAppsEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "SubscribedContentEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager\SuggestedApps" /f[/quote]
    Windows Store Automatic App Updates
    Code: schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Automatic App Update" /Disable reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsStore\WindowsUpdate" /v "AutoDownload" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f[/quote]
    Sharing Windows updates
    Code: reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Config" /v "DODownloadMode" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f[/quote]
    Malicious Software Removal Tool offered via Windows Updates (MRT)
    Code: reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MRT" /v DontOfferThroughWUAU /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f[/quote]
    Driver updates in Windows Update
    Code: reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching" /v "SearchOrderConfig" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Device Metadata" /v "PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Device Setup\Metadata Refresh" /Disable[/quote]
    Windows Updates, you have to check manually, but it might disable Defender updates as well.
    Code: schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan" /Disable ren "%WinDir%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan" "Schedule Scan.bak" md "%WinDir%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan" schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan" /Disable schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start" /Disable ren "%WinDir%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start" "Scheduled Start.bak" md "%WinDir%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start" schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start" /Disable[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Mar 29, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    1. Process explorer lets you see what's going on in the process tree for a given instance of svchost.exe. If it's downloading, there'll be other activity to help you identify the relevant process.

2. The 'standard' apps are frequently updated whether or not you use them. There's a scheduled task to do that- which you could try disabling.

And there's the background data.

Update sharing (mentioned by TarikuOkami):

& driver updates:
    Enable or Disable Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

Defender: If you disable Windows updates, you disable Defender updates. You can establish your own scheduled task for that if you need to.

You could also try setting your connection to metered - at least for test purposes. (That disables updates- Windows updates at least. Not seen a comment about the various others).
    Note this option for driver updates:

dalchina, Mar 29, 2017
  8. Microsoft is eating all of my bandwidth

Wow - thanks. I wasn't aware of the background apps. WTF.. So many apps I and most people never need. Thanks for that - even if it doesn't make a difference. *Smile

I have an issue changing settings on the router over wifi so I can't do the metered connection because I use ethernet. But I might test it and see.

9. Thanks - I've gone with the first 2 I quoted and we'll see if that helps. I had disabled driver updates (everything is working so I don't want it messed with) and sharing updates.

10. dalchina New Member
    You can also set ethernet connections as metered. See the relevant tutorial in the - you guessed- Tutorial section.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft is eating all of my bandwidth

1. Microsoft is eating all of my bandwidth - Similar Threads - Microsoft eating bandwidth

2. Turned of delivery optimization but it still eats my bandwidth

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turned of delivery optimization but it still eats my bandwidth: There was a similar post that was posted i tried copying the method cause the problem was the same as that but while performing the clear boot after restarting it is just stuck at the lock screen saying that "something happened and your pin isn't available. Click to set up...
  3. Turned of delivery optimization but it still eats my bandwidth

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turned of delivery optimization but it still eats my bandwidth: There was a similar post that was posted i tried copying the method cause the problem was the same as that but while performing the clear boot after restarting it is just stuck at the lock screen saying that "something happened and your pin isn't available. Click to set up...
  4. Windows processes eats up all my bandwidth

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows processes eats up all my bandwidth: I've been noticing that a windows process keeps eating my bandwidth. It's interrupting my online activities as it keeps all the bandwidth to itself. I've already set delivery optimization to a minimum and my internet is not that really great. I barely even get to 1mbps. What...
  5. Windows processes eats up all my bandwidth

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows processes eats up all my bandwidth: I've been noticing that a windows process keeps eating my bandwidth. It's interrupting my online activities as it keeps all the bandwidth to itself. I've already set delivery optimization to a minimum and my internet is not that really great. I barely even get to 1mbps. What...
  6. Windows processes eats up all my bandwidth

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Searchapp.exe eating bandwidth

Searchapp.exe eating bandwidth: Hi,I have an issue where when gaming I get Ping spikes looks like bandwidth usage, when I check task manager it doesn't show anything in particular but in resource monitor in the network view I have several instances of searchapp.exe running and using up the bandwidth. When...
  8. Delivery Optimization eating all my bandwidth

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delivery Optimization eating all my bandwidth: there's a service called Delivery Optimization keeps running in the background and uses my all internet bandwidth everyday, even If I stop it it starts again after sometime...
  9. Window 10 eating my Wifi bandwidth

Window 10 eating my Wifi bandwidth: Whenever I start my laptop and check 'data usage' after couple of minutes, I found 'system' is using my internet bandwidth in size of hundreds MBs. I urgently need to get rid of this. I tried many tricks: Set wifi on metered connection Disable Windows Update service...
  10. backgroundTransferHost start eats bandwidth at windows startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    backgroundTransferHost start eats bandwidth at windows startup: Hello Each time I start my PC runs windows 10, the "backgroundTransferHost" task starts to download something I really don't know is what. It also do it occasionally during my using of PC, for example while I'm playing an online game & suddenly pings gets too high and when I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 1803 DODownloadMode use BITS