Windows 10: Microsoft is experimenting with a search widget on Windows 11's taskbar

Discus and support Microsoft is experimenting with a search widget on Windows 11's taskbar in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft runs several experiments in the latest Windows 11 version 23H2 build that place widgets in different locations on the taskbar for some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jun 13, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft is experimenting with a search widget on Windows 11's taskbar

Microsoft runs several experiments in the latest Windows 11 version 23H2 build that place widgets in different locations on the taskbar for some setups.

Microsoft is experimenting with a search widget on Windows 11's taskbar windows-11-search-widget-left-taskbar.png

One of the latest experiments places a search field on the leftmost position of the Windows 11 taskbar, if taskbar icons are centered and not aligned to the left.

Microsoft changed the default layout of the Windows taskbar to centered in the Windows 11 operating system. An option to align taskbar icons to the left was added to give users the option to restore the classic taskbar layout. The company did remove lots of functionality from the taskbar in Windows 11, including the ability to place it to the sides or at the top. Third-party programs, such as Stardock's Start11 or Taskbar 11, restore the option to place the taskbar at the top, but some options can't be restored this way.

After experimenting with a floating search widget (check here if you want to know how to activate it) in recent Windows 11 Insider builds, Microsoft launched a new search widget test; this time, the search widget is located on the taskbar of the operating system.

Windows 11 displays a search icon by default next to the start menu, but the new test removes the icon from its default location and places it, as a search field, on the leftmost position on the taskbar. The weather widget icon, that has been displayed in that position before, is placed to its right side in the build.

The new search field is not fully implemented yet. You can't use it to type text yet, and a click opens the centered search interface on the system. It is possible that this is the desired workflow when the search widget is used, but it seems unlikely. A more likely implementation allows direct user input in the search field and will open the search interface on the left side of the screen.

Search highlights functionality is not implemented yet either.

Microsoft is experimenting with a search widget on Windows 11's taskbar windows-11-disable-search-interface.png

The available taskbar options work with the new search field as well. Disable Search under Taskbar Items to hide the element on the taskbar. You may still run searches when you open the Start interface on the taskbar.

Closing Words

You may wonder why Microsoft is experimenting with search and search locations so much. Search, and the integrated web search functionality, generates advertising revenue for the company, as advertising may be displayed either directly when users search or when users click on results that lead to Microsoft properties on the Internet.

Windows users who just want file searches may check out Everything Search, which offers blazing fast searches and can be added to the Windows taskbar for direct access.

Now you: do you use Windows Search?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft is experimenting with a search widget on Windows 11's taskbar appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jun 13, 2022
  2. I_askYou Win User

Windows 10: how to restore search bar in the taskbar?

When I right click on Taskbar, there is no "Search" in the list.

I_askYou, Jun 13, 2022
  3. Taskbar search

Hi,

To assist you better, kindly send us a screenshot and provide more details by answering the following questions:

• When you say "taskbar search function", do you mean the Start menu search field?
    • Are you getting any error messages upon accessing the taskbar search?
    Meanwhile, to help resolve your concern, we suggest that you run the System file checker and DISM tool to fix issues with corrupted system files that may be causing the issue. To do this, follow these steps:

• Press Windows Key + X on your keyboard.
    • Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type or copy these commands followed by hitting Enter:

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    Do let us know how it goes.

Monica Cam, Jun 13, 2022
  4. thomaseg1 Win User

KB5000626 Windows 10 Insider Preview Dev Build 21301.1010 Feb. 1 Insider

Windows 10’s taskbar is getting a big update with new weather and news widget - The Verge
    To disable the taskbar news widget, use these steps:

• Right-click the taskbar on Windows 10.
    • Select the News and interests menu and choose the Hidden option. Disable taskbar News and Interests.
    • (Optional) Select the Show icon only option if you want to keep the widget using less space in the taskbar.
    I don't know if it works

It works

thomaseg1, Jun 13, 2022
Thema:

1. Microsoft is experimenting with a search widget on Windows 11's taskbar - Similar Threads - Microsoft experimenting search

2. Microsoft is bringing Windows 11's weather widget to Windows 10's lock screen

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is bringing Windows 11's weather widget to Windows 10's lock screen: Copilot is not the only new feature that is coming to Windows 10. Microsoft is adding the Windows 11 lock screen weather widget to the older version of the operating system. Microsoft's obsession with weather data As you may know, Windows 11 displays the weather info on...
  3. Windows 11 Release Preview gets new Search and Taskbar experiences

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 Release Preview gets new Search and Taskbar experiences: Microsoft has released Windows 11 Build 22621.1343 to the Release Preview Channel of the Insider Program. The update brings several new features that were previously available in the Dev Channel. [ATTACH] New Search and Taskbar experiences in Windows 11 Search box...
  4. The big search field on Windows 11's taskbar is unnecessary

in Windows 10 News
    The big search field on Windows 11's taskbar is unnecessary: Microsoft started to experiment with search and the search field of its Windows 11 operating system some time ago. One of Microsoft's latest addition was the display of icons in the search field that depicted a special event that Microsoft picked for the day. Microsoft calls...
  5. Windows 11 taskbar weather widget

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 taskbar weather widget: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,Windows 11 weather taskbar widget is amazing but when I login to computer it shows only widget icon. It takes 5 to 10 minutes to show weather. I want it to show weather when logging in without delay. See the screenshot below. Help!...
  6. Windows 11 taskbar weather widget

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 taskbar weather widget: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,Windows 11 weather taskbar widget is amazing but when I login to computer it shows only widget icon. It takes 5 to 10 minutes to show weather. I want it to show weather when logging in without delay. See the screenshot below. Help!...
  7. Windows 11's Widget not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11's Widget not working.: Windows 11 build 22000.348I have already sign to MS account. But Widget asked me to sign in. I want to use widget to show the weather of the day.I set Sign in options: to "Apps need to ask me to use this account" The Widget isn't working.When I set to "Microsoft Apps can sign...
  8. Windows 11's Widget not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11's Widget not working.: Windows 11 build 22000.348I have already sign to MS account. But Widget asked me to sign in. I want to use widget to show the weather of the day.I set Sign in options: to "Apps need to ask me to use this account" The Widget isn't working.When I set to "Microsoft Apps can sign...
  9. Microsoft details Windows 10’s new taskbar experience

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft details Windows 10’s new taskbar experience: Microsoft recently announced that it’s working on a new taskbar feature called ‘news and interests’ for Windows 10. The feature is already available to Windows Insiders on the Dev Channel of the program and Microsoft is now taking the news feed to the next level by adding...
  10. Microsoft to improve search experience in Windows 10’s File Explorer

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to improve search experience in Windows 10’s File Explorer: Search functionality in File Explorer is not as good as Windows Search, but the upcoming update of Windows 10 could make the search experience better in File Explorer. In latest preview builds of Windows 10 20H1 update, Microsoft has updated search in File Explorer with a new...