Windows 10: Microsoft is finally hiding the 3D Objects Folder in Windows 10

Discus and support Microsoft is finally hiding the 3D Objects Folder in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft released a new Insider build on February 24, 2021; it included fixes for the most part but made a few changes as well. One of the changes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Feb 25, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft is finally hiding the 3D Objects Folder in Windows 10

Microsoft released a new Insider build on February 24, 2021; it included fixes for the most part but made a few changes as well. One of the changes hides the 3D Objects folder by default on the operating system.

The "This PC" menu in File Explorer's sidebar displays a number of default folders and connected drives by default. One of the folders is 3D Objects, and since it is the only one that begins with a number, it is the first folder of the list.

Microsoft is finally hiding the 3D Objects Folder in Windows 10 3d-objects-windows-10.png

3D Objects was added to the operating system in 2017 when Microsoft released the Fall Creators Update for the Windows 10 operating system. The Creators Update introduced 3D applications, e.g. Paint 3D, on the system, and its successor the special folder 3D Objects, designed to be the storage location for 3D files.

Most users had no use for the 3D Objects folder, and we published a tutorial that explained how to remove the 3D Objects folder from being shown in File Explorer.

The guide may not be needed for much longer, as Microsoft will hide the folder in future versions of Windows automatically according to the changelog of the most recent Windows 10 Insider build:

The 3D Objects folder will no longer be shown as a special folder in File Explorer after updating to this build.

The folder is still available, but users need to enable it if they want to continue using it. Microsoft notes that users who do, have two options to do so:

1. Load %userprofile% which displays the folder next to all other special folders and other user profile folders.
    2. By selecting View > Navigation Pane > Show all Folders in File Explorer.

The first option is a temporary solution as you need to access the folder each time you want to open the 3D Objects folder; the second option is permanent and restores the current status quo of stable versions of Windows 10.

Closing Words

Microsoft did not reveal usage numbers for its 3D applications and use of the 3D Objects folder. The removal is an indicator that the folder may not have seen the usage numbers that Microsoft hoped it would get since it was introduced.

Now You: did you use the 3D Objects folder? What is your take on Microsoft's decision? (via Techdows)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft is finally hiding the 3D Objects Folder in Windows 10 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Feb 25, 2021
  2. SongtaiLi Win User

Hiding "3D Objects" Folder in This PC

I would like to hide the "3D Objects" folder in This PC. I was able to hide the other folders (Desktop, Pictures, etc.) by editing the registry, but I could not find the corresponding entry for the "3D Objects" folder.

Does anyone know how to hide this folder in This PC? Thanks.

SongtaiLi, Feb 25, 2021
  3. RogerH_17 Win User
    3D Objects folder

In trying to relocate the 3D Objects folder somehow I have managed to accidentally set it to my user folder. My user folder and its contents are still intact but the folder name appears as '3D Objects'. How do I correct this?

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

RogerH_17, Feb 25, 2021
  4. Microsoft is finally hiding the 3D Objects Folder in Windows 10

Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 25, 2021
Thema:

Microsoft is finally hiding the 3D Objects Folder in Windows 10

1. Microsoft is finally hiding the 3D Objects Folder in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft finally hiding

2. Windows 3d objects Folder appears on desktop without touching the folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 3d objects Folder appears on desktop without touching the folder: So judging by the title you can guess that this is pretty self explanatory The 3d objects folder Appeared on my desktop despite the fact i never touched it And i know the file is built into windows, but why did it appear as one of the desktop icons Out of nowhere, and if...
  3. Windows 10 update to hide 3D Objects in File Explorer, improve Bluetooth UX

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 update to hide 3D Objects in File Explorer, improve Bluetooth UX: With the Creators Update (version 1703), Microsoft added a new Paint 3D app to Windows 10 to help users sketch in 2D and create 3D objects. Paint 3D app allows you to turn photos into 3D models, customize the photos with extra colours and textures, and access it from File...
  4. 3D objects

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3D objects: Stats: windows V 20h2 build 19042_685 I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I'm afraid to alter the Registry. Never have touched it. Seems all instructions to get rid of such junk and the like require the alteration of the registry. If this post is moved please say...
  5. DaveM121 please help! Merged 3D Objects and user profile folder while moving 3D Objects to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DaveM121 please help! Merged 3D Objects and user profile folder while moving 3D Objects to...: Hi everyone, hopefully hi DaveM121, I have a similiar problem you have already solved for user MaxT2593: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/help-merged-3d-objects-and-user-profile-while/186a026c-49a0-4b58-a49a-07ff09025cec I also merged...
  6. Windows 10 3D Objects Folder

Windows 10 3D Objects Folder: A while back I modified the "3D Objects" folder under "This PC" to point to and be renamed as a folder in C:\ called "01 My Docs." Then some updates were applied to the PC and the name reverted back to "3D Objects." However, it appeared that the location was still applied;...
  7. Tried moving User objects, now 3D Objects shows as a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Tried moving User objects, now 3D Objects shows as a folder: Want to move my User settings to another partition but non-tenforums steps are wrong. Now my 3D Objects appears as a folder 'Dave', in my User folder alongside Pictures, etc. (I moved it back there.) I've read the tutorials on this site and will follow. But how do I make my...
  8. 3D objects

3D objects: I tried to get rid of the 3D objects folder that appeared on my computer, but I combined it with my documents. Now I have two sections that say documents and have all my documents. When I delete one folder from one, it deletes it from the other. I just want the document...
  9. Change or Restore 3D Objects Folder Icon in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change or Restore 3D Objects Folder Icon in Windows 10: How to: Change or Restore 3D Objects Folder Icon in Windows 10 How to Change or Restore 3D Objects Folder Icon in Windows 10 The 3D Objects folder was added to This PC in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. This folder is used by apps like Paint 3D and Mixed Reality...
  10. remove 3d objects from users folder

in Windows 10 Support
    remove 3d objects from users folder: Hi brink .how do I remove 3d objects from users folder [img] 97807