Windows 10: Microsoft is giving Windows on ARM a much-needed boost

Discus and support Microsoft is giving Windows on ARM a much-needed boost in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; ARM-powered devices running Windows 10 are now slowly coming to the market after the tech giant announced the platform in 2017. Windows 10 on ARM is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Sep 30, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft is giving Windows on ARM a much-needed boost

ARM-powered devices running Windows 10 are now slowly coming to the market after the tech giant announced the platform in 2017. Windows 10 on ARM is a pretty big deal and it’s basically designed for ARM-based hardware (Snapdragon), with next-generation devices from the likes of Asus, Lenovo, and HP on the way.

The first Windows 10 on ARM PCs were shipped with a long list of compatibility issues and Snapdragon 835 processor, but the latest reviews of this platform have been pretty positive.

Microsoft has been investing a lot on emulation support for Windows 10 on ARM. With emulation, you can run apps designed for other architecture, such as x86 (32-bit), but there’s a catch – x64 (64-bits) apps cannot be emulated or installed unless they’re recompiled for the ARM architecture.

With a new update arriving in November, Microsoft says you can now finally run x64-bit apps, thanks to the new emulation layer included in Windows 10 on ARM.

The new emulation update should allow you to run most of your desktop apps, but performance concerns remain.

Microsoft is giving Windows on ARM a much-needed boost Windows-10-on-ARM-emulation.jpg

As we mentioned above, you can currently run native ARM64 apps and x86 apps in emulation. If any developer is interested, they can still recompile the software as an ARM64 app for improved performance.

If the developers are unable to recompile their apps for Windows 10 on ARM, users can now run the x64 apps via emulation.

Any Windows 10 desktop apps will simply run via the emulator and this is good news because Snapdragon devices have become increasingly more powerful. For example, Qualcomm’s newest Snapdragon chips offer better performance and the resources should be enough to smoothly emulate x64 apps.

With 64-bit emulation support, Windows 10 on ARM could finally become a viable option and you can expect more affordable devices with this OS. Unfortunately, performance concerns will remain and we don’t how well they’ll work performance on older hardware.

Microsoft will share more details during the October event where the company is expected to launch Surface Pro X and Surface Laptop Sparti.

The post Microsoft is giving Windows on ARM a much-needed boost appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Sep 30, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

What's the future of Microsoft's ARM-based tablets?

Read more...

Brink, Sep 30, 2020
  3. EarthDog Win User
    Microsoft Gives Windows 10 a Major Performance Boost

don't forget windows ME!! *Stick Out Tongue Microsoft is giving Windows on ARM a much-needed boost :p

EarthDog, Sep 30, 2020
  4. Microsoft is giving Windows on ARM a much-needed boost

Can't boost microphone in Windows 10

Thanks for replying Microsoft is giving Windows on ARM a much-needed boost :)

I did all the steps listed, but as shown in the screenshot above there is no Microphone Boost slider to modify. And in the "Custom" tab the Microphone Boost box is check-marked so I have no idea why its not showing.

_Daniel_S_, Sep 30, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft is giving Windows on ARM a much-needed boost

1. Microsoft is giving Windows on ARM a much-needed boost - Similar Threads - Microsoft giving ARM

2. Windows on Arm

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows on Arm: Where can i get Windows 10/11 arm 32 iso files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-on-arm/539dcb88-3d24-4c17-b386-c462418d990a
  3. Microsoft Store is getting a much needed boost (and ads)

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Store is getting a much needed boost (and ads): During Build 2022, Microsoft highlighted some of the improvements that it plans to roll out to the virtual Microsoft Store. The Store, which the company introduced in Windows 8 and refined in Windows 10, has seen ups and downs since its first release. [IMG] source: Microsoft...
  4. Windows on Arm

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows on Arm: Does windows arm support dual monitors in extended display mode? If so how can i get it to work with a windows arm 2-1 that has a usb c port. I have a dual monitor usb c dock that works fine with all other intel based laptops except this Arm one. When it does work on arm it...
  5. Need Help Understanding Microsoft Processor Performance Turbo/Boost Modes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need Help Understanding Microsoft Processor Performance Turbo/Boost Modes: I'm buying an ASUS TUF A15 gaming laptop with an RTX 2060 for college. I've read reports that this computer runs pretty hot, and the easiest way to solve that is by disabling turbo mode via this fix. However, after I do this, the power plan settings provide 7 possible options...
  6. Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic keyboard - needs quality boost

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic keyboard - needs quality boost: So I have brought 4 of these keyboards - that how much I like it, and that's how bad the build quality is xD. I love the design, but the build quality is so bad that they get break easily. I hoped they would upgrade their best keyboard with better quality and better materials...
  7. Microsoft gives users Privacy the much needed boost in latest build

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft gives users Privacy the much needed boost in latest build: Earlier in the day we reported that Microsoft has released a new Windows 10 Build 17704 for Fast and Skip Ahead Insiders. The latest build brought many new features to Microsoft Edge, a new Skype app and also new improvements to the Privacy section of Windows 10. With the...
  8. Next-gen Windows 10 ARM PCs will reportedly offer a massive boost in performance

in Windows 10 News
    Next-gen Windows 10 ARM PCs will reportedly offer a massive boost in performance: Qualcomm is betting big on Snapdragon processor for Windows 10 on ARM project. At Computex, the chipmaker unveiled the Snapdragon 850 exclusively for Always Connected PCs. 850 is separate from the 845 as it has been optimized for use with Windows PCs. While the latest...
  9. Windows 10 ARM to get a power boost with Snapdragon 1000

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 ARM to get a power boost with Snapdragon 1000: Earlier this week, Qualcomm announced its Snapdragon 850 Mobile Compute Platform for Always Connected PCs-powered by Windows 10. The focus of the processor is on Always Connected PCs, and it boasts a 30 percent increase in performance and a 20 percent increase in battery...
  10. Old game needs a boost?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old game needs a boost?: So I'm playing International Cricket Captain 2006 (partly for nostalgia's sake) on my Win10 installation, and it's running very very slow - mouse clicks take multiple seconds to register, for example. In the past had the same issue with both iterations of StarCraft, and I've...