Windows 10: Microsoft is improving Windows Spellcheck on Google Chrome, Edge

Discus and support Microsoft is improving Windows Spellcheck on Google Chrome, Edge in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Last year, Microsoft said it was moving away from the default spell checking feature in open-source Chromium and Edge was updated with the new Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Feb 19, 2021.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft is improving Windows Spellcheck on Google Chrome, Edge

Last year, Microsoft said it was moving away from the default spell checking feature in open-source Chromium and Edge was updated with the new Windows Spellcheck API. This was also added to Google Chrome as an optional feature and it’s obviously limited to Windows 10.

Windows Spellchecker works only when you enable the experimental flag in Chrome’s flags menu and it replaces Chromium’s Hunspell spellchecker with the operating system’s built-in Spellcheck API.

But there’s a problem: Windows 10’s built-in spellchecker could stop working properly when there are a large number of misspellings in editable content, which has over 2000 characters. On such a page, if you right-click on a misspelt word to bring up the context menu with suggested corrections, the renderer process will stop responding.

Microsoft is improving Windows Spellcheck on Google Chrome, Edge Windows-Spellcheck-API.jpg
    Example of Windows Spellcheck API

Microsoft believes that the main issue is that if suggestions have not already been retrieved and cached, a synchronous IPC is made from the renderer process to the browser process, which doesn’t work as expected.

“If the platform spellchecker is still busy performing a text check on all of the content, this can be a long wait,” Microsoft noted. “A reason that the full-text check may take a long time is that suggestions are being retrieved for all misspelled words, even though the user may never invoke the context menu to view them,” the company added.

For those unaware, Microsoft built Windows Spellcheck integration with Google engineers on the Chromium project and Windows Spellcheck API works in any Chromium browser.

In Microsoft Edge, the feature is enabled by default and it has better support for URLs, acronyms, and email addresses. In addition to performance improvements, Microsoft is also fixing a bug where the browser was retrieving suggestions even for words not marked as misspelt.

This part of the fix is currently available behind another feature flag and it’ll be enabled by default.

The post Microsoft is improving Windows Spellcheck on Google Chrome, Edge appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Feb 19, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

Introducing an improved spellcheck experience in Microsoft Edge

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/...osoft-edge-83/

Latest Microsoft Edge released for Windows

Brink, Feb 19, 2021
  3. Fred22 Win User
    How to turn on spellcheck Google Chrome

Microsoft is improving Windows Spellcheck on Google Chrome, Edge [​IMG]

Can someone please tell me how to turn on spellcheck. As you can see from my screenshot Google is listed as my default browser. However when I open my browser for a search it's Yahoo. Please tell me how make Google my default search engine.

Fred22, Feb 19, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

How to turn on spellcheck Google Chrome

Hope that helps.

Note: I don't use Chrome myself.

dalchina, Feb 19, 2021
Thema:

1. Microsoft is improving Windows Spellcheck on Google Chrome, Edge - Similar Threads - Microsoft improving Spellcheck

2. Microsoft Edge vs Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Edge vs Google Chrome: I have both of them web browsers for my windows 10 pc, i mostly use chrome for my google account to link with my other devices that use my google account and i am wondering which one is best or better for video streaming with the likes of netflix and youtube etc?...
  3. Microsoft Edge vs Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge vs Google Chrome: I have both of them web browsers for my windows 10 pc, i mostly use chrome for my google account to link with my other devices that use my google account and i am wondering which one is best or better for video streaming with the likes of netflix and youtube etc?...
  4. New Windows 10 APIs to improve inking in Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome

in Windows 10 News
    New Windows 10 APIs to improve inking in Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome: According to code commits reviewed by us, Microsoft is working on a number of improvements to inking in Chromium-based browsers, such as Edge and Chrome. The software giant decided to do something about inking in Chromium after receiving feedback from users regarding how...
  5. Microsoft, Google are improving Chrome’s dark mode on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft, Google are improving Chrome’s dark mode on Windows 10: Windows 10 and Chrome’s dark mode gives your eyes a welcome break when you’re browsing the web at night. While Google Chrome’s dark mode works fine and it also respects Windows 10’s theme preference, it only changes the colour of the top-level UIs of the browser. Google is...
  6. Introducing an improved spellcheck experience in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing an improved spellcheck experience in Microsoft Edge: Beginning with Microsoft Edge 83, we’ve introduced a new spellcheck experience for Windows users, powered by Windows Spellcheck. The feature is supported on Windows 8.1 and above. Previously, on Windows, Microsoft Edge and other Chromium browsers used open-source...
  7. Windows Spellchecker in Edge, Chrome, and other Chromium browsers

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Spellchecker in Edge, Chrome, and other Chromium browsers: Microsoft's decision to switch to Chromium as the source for the company's Edge browser has injected even more development resources into the project. One of the latest commits by Microsoft engineers introduces support for the Windows Spellchecker in Chromium. Any changes...
  8. Microsoft may improve Google Chrome memory usage on Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft may improve Google Chrome memory usage on Windows: Google Chrome is a resources hungry browser on Windows and sometimes the browser could take longer than usual to start on a low-end device. There could be often a delay of several seconds before anything would happen and users with low-end PCs would have to stare at a blank...
  9. Microsoft to improve Edge and Chrome’s incognito feature on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to improve Edge and Chrome’s incognito feature on Windows 10: Microsoft appears to be working on an interesting feature that could improve user privacy when running Chromium-based browsers, such as Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome in incognito mode. When you use a Chromium-based browser in the incognito mode, the browsing history,...
  10. How to turn on spellcheck Google Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    How to turn on spellcheck Google Chrome: [img] Can someone please tell me how to turn on spellcheck. As you can see from my screenshot Google is listed as my default browser. However when I open my browser for a search it's Yahoo. Please tell me how make Google my default search engine. 94949