Windows 10: Microsoft is investigating Windows 10 bug that messes login credentials

Discus and support Microsoft is investigating Windows 10 bug that messes login credentials in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Last month, we reported about one new issue in Windows 10 that could disrupt the Credentials Manager, making it difficult for consumers and even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Sep 5, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft is investigating Windows 10 bug that messes login credentials

Last month, we reported about one new issue in Windows 10 that could disrupt the Credentials Manager, making it difficult for consumers and even business customers to log in to certain apps, such as Google Chrome. In addition, this nasty bug could also log you out of your websites randomly if you save your credentials on Windows 10.

Based on new findings, it appears that the bug is hitting apps that use DPAPI (Data Protection API) to protect user-stored credentials via Windows Credentials Manager.

Basically, DPAPI is an API that is used by desktop apps for protecting your saved passwords when you don’t want to enter them again when you log in to apps or website.

You might not have realized it but several apps use Data Protection API and it’s a core component of Windows 10. After Windows 10 version 2004 or a recent cumulative update, a bug causes Windows 10 to forget stored passwords for apps, such as Chrome, VPN services, etc.

“Chrome logs me out multiple times a day on all my websites. Interestingly, Edge has the same issue (I’m guessing due to Chromium engine). Also getting “unable to sync” or login errors on Microsoft’s own apps as well, such as: Mail, Calendar and OneDrive,” one user noted, and there are similar complaints on the forum (1, 2)

Speaking to Windows Latest, Microsoft confirmed that they’re aware of the reports and are actively investigating the problem. While Microsoft told us that it’s looking into these reports about the issue, an official workaround is not yet available.

Microsoft is investigating Windows 10 bug that messes login credentials Windows-10-sign-in-options.jpg

According to reports that we’ve seen, the bug affects a number of apps, including Edge, Chrome, Acrobat, Outlook, OneDrive, and even VPN services. Microsoft has launched a separate investigation into a problem with authenticating a VPN through Windows Security feature.

Interestingly, Chromium engineers also launched their own investigation into the issue, but their initial findings suggest that the problem is with Windows 10 and it affects other apps on the system that are using DPAPI (Data Protection API).

While this is far from the annoying Windows 10 problems we’ve seen in recent months, it’s still a frustrating issue as a lot of people rely on the Credentials Manager.

If you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 version 2004 and you’ve issues with your saved credentials or browsing sessions, you can either wait until Microsoft patches bugs or reinstall Windows 10 May 2020 Update using the ISO images.

The post Microsoft is investigating Windows 10 bug that messes login credentials appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Sep 5, 2020

2. option to change the login credentials on Windows 10 computer

Hello Ankit,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

We would like to know if you have received any email when you say Microsoft gave me an option to change the login credentials on my Windows 10 computer

Again, please be informed that in order to change the Login ID credentials, you need to access you Microsoft Account at the first place, in this case which would be recovering the Microsoft Account(MSA).

I suggest you to follow the recommended link which was earlier suggested.

Getting back into your Microsoft account if it’s been compromised

Once you recover your MSA, you can refer to the below steps to change the credentials.

• Login to https://login.live.com.
    • Specify the current Windows live ID and password in the available fields and click
      Sign in.
    • On Microsoft account page, make sure that Overview category is selected from the left pane.
    • From the right pane, click Rename account under Account summary.
    • From the right pane of the next page, make sure that Create a new email address radio button is selected under
      Rename your Microsoft account.

Hope it helps this time.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Sep 5, 2020
  3. Microsoft security notification

Hi Maria,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

• Are you logged in using Microsoft account on the desktop?

You might be face this issue if the Windows login credentials are removed from the Login Credential manger.

I suggest you to try the following steps and check if it helps.

a. Press Start button and type "Credential Manager".

b. Click on the arrow near the "Windows cached credentials".

c. Check whether the Windows login credentials are listed over there.

d. If the credentials are listed, I suggest you to click on "Remove from vault" and follow the onscreen suggestions.

e. Now check for the issue.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Sep 5, 2020
  4. Kursah Win User

Windows 10 multiple system login crap! [Solved!] Thanks to Kursah!

Windows 10 Sign in: Password, PIN, Picture Password

Using login credentials is best practice, and is going to be more and more among the norms. You can bypass needing a password if you're NOT using a Microsoft account. But if you are, that's an online linked account...wouldn't make any sense to be able to automatically login to a sync'd account without credentials would it?

If you're using local accounts or non-domain accounts, you don't need to have a password to login. See link above, you'll be able to make the changes you need by following that, in a few minutes your frustrations will be gone. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, Sep 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Microsoft is investigating Windows 10 bug that messes login credentials - Similar Threads - Microsoft investigating bug

2. Login Credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Login Credentials: My remote LAN PC's keep asking for login credentials but I use a PIN to log into the computer on my LAN that has the network drive I need to access. What do I use on my network computers to access the computer with the network drive?...
  3. Login Credentials

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Login Credentials: My remote LAN PC's keep asking for login credentials but I use a PIN to log into the computer on my LAN that has the network drive I need to access. What do I use on my network computers to access the computer with the network drive?...
  4. Windows 10 login Bug

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 login Bug: Hi, I need help with this bug after startup when I log in explore crashes then restarts then crashes, etc about 10 minutes after it fixes itself but this happens on every reboot I would love help.example: The Bug - YouTubePS Sorry for the bad recording....
  5. Minecraft login with Microsoft account bug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft login with Microsoft account bug: Whenever I try to login to my account on the Minecraft launcher, it always sends a message saying "Something went wrong in the login process" and never lets me proceed to the actual login page.[ATTACH]...
  6. Login credentials

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Login credentials: Are my log in credentials automatically stored on my hdd/ssd? can someone view it if they have/stole my pc? P. S. I don't wanna use Bitlocker though. submitted by /u/MrRightknow [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j8zhyq/login_credentials/
  7. Microsoft is investigating Windows 10 bug that causes taskbar to slow down

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is investigating Windows 10 bug that causes taskbar to slow down: A Windows 10 bug or design flaw is causing taskbar’s jump list (right-click menu) to slow down on some computers. Windows 10 taskbar comes with a feature called ‘Jump List’, which has been around since Windows 7 and it allows you to right-click an app’s icon to access...
  8. Microsoft is investigating Windows 10 update issues

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is investigating Windows 10 update issues: Windows 10 KB4556799 is plagued with audio issues and temporary user profile bug, according to user reports. Additionally, it appears that Windows 10’s important security patch is causing performance issues including frame-rate drops and Blue Screen of Death errors. Some...
  9. Microsoft is investigating Windows 10 KB4549951 issues

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is investigating Windows 10 KB4549951 issues: Windows 10 KB4549951, which was released on April 14 with security fixes, is reportedly plagued with serious issues for some users. The update is only available for consumers with Windows 10 version 1903 and 1909, and the patch contains security fixes. Initially, users who...
  10. Microsoft will investigate Windows 10 File Explorer issues

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft will investigate Windows 10 File Explorer issues: Windows 10 November 2019 Update is a minor release but it reportedly breaks search feature in File Explorer on a number of devices. Microsoft is apparently aware of the bug and a fix is in the pipeline, but it looks like the users’ feedback wouldn’t be heard for another...