Windows 10: Microsoft is making changes to how Windows 10 manages disk space

Discus and support Microsoft is making changes to how Windows 10 manages disk space in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The next major Windows 10 update ’19H1′ is set to make some important changes to how the operating system manages disk space. In Windows 10 19H1,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Jan 8, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft is making changes to how Windows 10 manages disk space

The next major Windows 10 update ’19H1′ is set to make some important changes to how the operating system manages disk space. In Windows 10 19H1, Microsoft is introducing reserved storage which refers to the storage that is to be used by apps, Windows Update, temporary files, and the system cache.

Microsoft says that Windows 10 19H1 devices will feature “Reserved Storage” which is designed to keep about 7GB of storage aside for Windows Update, temporary files and system cache. The company says that reserved space will vary over time and the chunk of reserved disk space for temporary files generated by the system could increase.

The reserved storage in Windows 10 may allow the operating system to function more smoothly as the apps and Windows Update will always have access to disk space.

Microsoft is making changes to how Windows 10 manages disk space Windows-10-storage.jpg
    Storage options in October 2018 Update

If fill up your PC’s storage, the system will continue to function normally and applications may not become unreliable. You’ll be able to access the reserved storage if you re-install Windows 10 and it will also show up on devices with 19H1 update pre-installed.

Microsoft is making changes to how Windows 10 manages disk space Windows-10-reserved-storage.jpg
    Reserved Storage in 19H1

You won’t be able to remove it from the OS entirely and Microsoft says that users are not supposed to set anything up.

“We may adjust the size of reserved storage in the future based on diagnostic data or feedback. The reserved storage cannot be removed from the OS, but you can reduce the amount of space reserved,” Microsoft explains in a blog post.

Insiders will be able to access the feature in 19H1 preview builds and Microsoft’s Insider team will also share additional details when the next build drops.

The post Microsoft is making changes to how Windows 10 manages disk space appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Jan 8, 2019

2. Disk Management

Hi Keith,

Thanks for providing the detail that was requested previously. Since the disk management screen that you saw is showing greyed out options, we suggest that you follow the steps below to change the partition type of your internal drive:

• Open Disk Management then right click the partition on the disk you want to covert and select Delete Volume.
    • Once you complete the process you will see the whole disk shown as two separate unallocated spaces. Right-click the disk and select Convert to GPT disk.

After the conversion, you will be able to use the whole disk and then you can create new separate partitions.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Jan 8, 2019
  3. Joan Pin Win User
    disk space reduced after media creation tool

Hi Sarah,

One of the possible reasons why your disk space was reduced is due to an unallocated disk space on your partitions. For us to isolate your concern, we suggest that you check your device's partition. To do this, follow the steps provided below:

• Type Computer Management on Ask me anything and press
      Enter.
    • Select Storage and click on Disk Management.
    • Send us a screenshot.
    We look forward to your response.

Joan Pin, Jan 8, 2019
  4. R-T-B Win User

Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

According to Microsoft, iterations are done. Windows 10 is 10 and will be augmented forever. They said "The question of what version of windows you are using will cease to make sense"

This means Windows is now effectively a rolling release.

R-T-B, Jan 8, 2019
Thema:

1. Microsoft is making changes to how Windows 10 manages disk space - Similar Threads - Microsoft making changes

2. Disk is full, make space...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk is full, make space...: I have used all of the suggestions given by Microsoft on my computer. Cleaned disk or all temporary files and personal files. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-is-full-make-space/bf6dcf85-7b24-4030-b811-f27ceb16dae4
  3. Disk is full, make space...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk is full, make space...: I have used all of the suggestions given by Microsoft on my computer. Cleaned disk or all temporary files and personal files. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-is-full-make-space/bf6dcf85-7b24-4030-b811-f27ceb16dae4
  4. Disk is full, make space...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. disk space management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disk space management: I have unallocated space but i am unable to add it to c drive as it is not adjacent to c drive.how to move unallocated space to the right of c drive so that extend volume option is not greyed out...
  6. disk space management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disk space management: I have unallocated space but i am unable to add it to c drive as it is not adjacent to c drive.how to move unallocated space to the right of c drive so that extend volume option is not greyed out...
  7. disk space management

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Disk Space Cleanup Manager making outbound network access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Space Cleanup Manager making outbound network access: I noticed that Disk Space Cleanup Manager (cleanmgr.exe), is occasionally trying to make an outbound network request to a Microsoft IP address. Why does cleanmgr.exe require internet access to perform its job? 169409
  9. Windows Update Disk Space Management

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Disk Space Management: Hi all just having a problem with updating my windows 10 pc. I dont currently have enough space to download it and i wanted to know if i can use another drive and if theres a way to configure this. i have a C: drive which is my SSD and has windows on it and a D: drive which...
  10. Disk space management assistance

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk space management assistance: Good job, ! I'm glad you got it sorted.*Smile IF you were to want to recover that disk space (now unallocated) to use in the Windows partition, the next step would be using a partition tool (similar to: https://www.partitionwizard.com/free...n-manager.html ) to slide the...