Windows 10: Microsoft is making it harder to change Default Apps in Windows 11

Discus and support Microsoft is making it harder to change Default Apps in Windows 11 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows users who want to change the default applications in Microsoft's Windows 11 operating system have a harder time doing so as Microsoft change... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Sep 2, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft is making it harder to change Default Apps in Windows 11

Windows users who want to change the default applications in Microsoft's Windows 11 operating system have a harder time doing so as Microsoft change the process of setting defaults.

On Windows 10, when you want to change default apps, you visit Settings > Apps > Default Apps. One of the options on the screen that opens is to change the defaults for common applications such as the web browser, photo viewer, video player, or music player. Select the web browser, pick another installed browser, and you are done.

Microsoft did make the process less user friendly than in previous versions of Windows, as you can't pick a program from the system anymore when selecting defaults that is not displayed in the initial listing.

Microsoft is making it harder to change Default Apps in Windows 11 windows-10-set-default-apps.png

On Windows 11, things have gotten worse again. When you open Settings > Apps > Default Apps, you will notice that the list of popular application types is gone. You may set defaults based on a file type or link or by application.

Select a program, e.g. Brave Browser, and you get a list of all file types and link types it has registered itself to open. Each type is listed separately and to make matters worse, there is no "set for all" option on the page.

Microsoft is making it harder to change Default Apps in Windows 11 windows-11-set-default-apps.png

To make a program the default for all its registered file types and links, you'd have to click on each of the types and pick the desired application from the listing. While you may skip some file types and links, such as SVG for the web browser, you would end up with multiple web browsers being set as the default for certain file types.

For a web browser, this could mean having to repeat the process a significant number of times before the defaults are all changed. If things do get reset, which happened frequently for some users on Windows 10, then you'd have to repeat the process again.

If you want to change the defaults for multiple programs, e.g. an email client, a web browser, a photo viewer, media player, and music player, you'd spend a long time configuring the file types. Media players alone support dozens of different file formats and protocols, and you will spend quite some time changing the defaults on Windows 11.

A quick web browser installation test on a Windows 11 test system confirmed that most users will run into issues with default apps. Most Chromium-based browsers open the Default Apps section of the settings app when users accept the "make us the default" prompt. Firefox was able to set a handful of defaults, most notably HTTP, HTTPS, .HTM and .HTML, but did not do so for others such as .SHTML, .PDF or image formats (which it theoretically can be the default app for).

Microsoft is making it harder to change Default Apps in Windows 11 windows-11-default-apps.png

If you wanted some of these to open in the program as well, you'd still have to go through the ordeal of changing them one after the other.

Why did Microsoft remove the Default Apps option in Windows 11?

A Microsoft spokesperson told The Verge that the new controls would give users control "at a more granular level" by "eliminating app categories and elevating all apps to the forefront of the defaults experience".

Microsoft is making it harder to change Default Apps in Windows 11 windows-10-set-defaults-by-app.png

The options that have been "elevated to the forefront" are not entirely new. Windows 10 users may set defaults by applications similarly to how defaults are set on Windows 11. The only difference between the two versions of Windows is that Windows 10's functionality is two levels deep in the settings while Windows 11's is on the start screen.

Microsoft failed to mention why it removed the option to set an app as the default for all supported file types and links, just like before. Even a "select all" option when configuring defaults for an app would be sufficient to resolve the issue.

It is clear that making an app the default for all supported file types is more complicated and time consuming than before, if things remain as they are in Windows 11.

Now You: how do you change default apps on Windows?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft is making it harder to change Default Apps in Windows 11 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Sep 2, 2021
  2. Bree Win User

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

Microsoft is making it harder to change Default Apps in Windows 11 [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

Microsoft is making it harder to change Default Apps in Windows 11 [​IMG]

Bree, Sep 2, 2021
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Microsoft is making it harder to change Default Apps in Windows 11 :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Sep 2, 2021
  4. Microsoft is making it harder to change Default Apps in Windows 11

Cannot change the default apps by using control panel

Original Title: Cannot change default apps.

As said, I cannot change the default apps by using control panel > ... > Default Apps tab.

I cannot change any of the default programs. I use paint.net to edit/view photos and I cannot set it to the default program even though it is on the list, it does not change and i'm stuck with the default photo viewer. This happens with any other app actually,
    I cannot change the default music player there, nor browser or anything.

I followed these steps as suggest by a microsoft engineer, post 2, and later on, no avail.

Can't change default apps in Windows 10

I refuse to use work arounds, I'd like a proper solution is possible, thank you.

RodrigoDrt, Sep 2, 2021
Thema:

Microsoft is making it harder to change Default Apps in Windows 11

1. Microsoft is making it harder to change Default Apps in Windows 11 - Similar Threads - Microsoft making harder

2. Change Default App freezes in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Default App freezes in Windows 11: I have a brand new HP laptop. Every single time I attempt to change the default app to open a file, either through the system settings or right-click > Open with, my system freezes, usually requiring a reboot or at least a 5-10 minute wait.I don't have any extra anti-virus...
  3. Change Default App freezes in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Default App freezes in Windows 11: I have a brand new HP laptop. Every single time I attempt to change the default app to open a file, either through the system settings or right-click > Open with, my system freezes, usually requiring a reboot or at least a 5-10 minute wait.I don't have any extra anti-virus...
  4. Windows 11 keeps changing default apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 keeps changing default apps: This is driving me insane! And yes, I know how I'm supposed to be able to change these, and I do, but Win11 continues to hijack them back.It happens most often with PDFs changing from Adobe back to Edge. Often within minutes of having changed the default settings to Adobe. I...
  5. Windows 11 keeps changing default apps

Windows 11 keeps changing default apps: This is driving me insane! And yes, I know how I'm supposed to be able to change these, and I do, but Win11 continues to hijack them back.It happens most often with PDFs changing from Adobe back to Edge. Often within minutes of having changed the default settings to Adobe. I...
  6. Changing default apps on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing default apps on Windows 11: Ive been trying to set a default app on windows 11 but couldnt. The thing is everytime i switch on my laptop, my defaultfor example for .pdf files gets reset to microsoft edge rather than adobe. So even if i set the default to any app, it stays as the default until i restart...
  7. Changing default apps on Windows 11

Changing default apps on Windows 11: Ive been trying to set a default app on windows 11 but couldnt. The thing is everytime i switch on my laptop, my defaultfor example for .pdf files gets reset to microsoft edge rather than adobe. So even if i set the default to any app, it stays as the default until i restart...
  8. Windows 11, Can't change default app for .PDF's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11, Can't change default app for .PDF's: Hi,Some advise please.I have Acrobat DC and Acrobat pro installed on my system and I want to change the default reader for .pdf's to Acrobat pro from Acrobat DC.I go to file associations, find the PDF association, then it asks which file to open PDF's. It does not show...
  9. Windows 11, Can't change default app for .PDF's

Windows 11, Can't change default app for .PDF's: Hi,Some advise please.I have Acrobat DC and Acrobat pro installed on my system and I want to change the default reader for .pdf's to Acrobat pro from Acrobat DC.I go to file associations, find the PDF association, then it asks which file to open PDF's. It does not show...
  10. Microsoft is making it harder to use Windows 10 local accounts

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is making it harder to use Windows 10 local accounts: Windows 10 has always preferred that you log into your PC using a Microsoft account and Microsoft has made it more and more to difficult to use a local account on your PC. In 2019, reports revealed that Microsoft forces users to log into their computer with a Microsoft...