Windows 10: Microsoft is pausing optional Windows update releases

Discus and support Microsoft is pausing optional Windows update releases in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft announced yesterday that it plans to pause the release of optional Windows updates from May 2020 onward. The company releases so-called C... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 25, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft is pausing optional Windows update releases

Microsoft announced yesterday that it plans to pause the release of optional Windows updates from May 2020 onward.

The company releases so-called C and D releases in the third or fourth week of any given month. These are considered preview updates and completely optional.

Windows administrators will have to check for updates manually to detect them in Windows Update or download them from the Microsoft Update Catalog website to install them on devices.

Microsoft is pausing optional Windows update releases windows-pause-optional-updates.png

It has been my recommendation from the start to only install these preview updates if they fix an issue or issues that are experienced and severe enough to justify the installation of a preview update on a machine.

The updates are usually included in the following month's Patch Tuesday updates anyway.

Timing for upcoming Windows optional C and D releases

We have been evaluating the public health situation, and we understand this is impacting our customers. In response to these challenges we are prioritizing our focus on security updates. Starting in May 2020, we are pausing all optional non-security releases (C and D updates) for all supported versions of Windows client and server products (Windows 10, version 1909 down through Windows Server 2008 SP2).

The change applies to all supported versions of Windows including Windows 10 but also server versions of Windows.

Microsoft does not mention the Coronavirus pandemic specifically but it seems likely that it is referring to it and that it is the reason why Microsoft made the decision to pause the creation and distribution of these preview updates.

Pausing indicates that the change is temporary in nature and that the production of preview updates will resume once the situation is under control.

The change won't affect the security update releases of any given month (also called B releases as they are pushed out in the second week of any month).

There is no change to the monthly security updates (B release – Update Tuesday); these will continue as planned to ensure business continuity and to keep our customers protected and productive.

Preview updates will be released in April 2020 but will be paused after the April release.

Now You: Do you install preview updates on your devices? (via Ask Woody)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft is pausing optional Windows update releases appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 25, 2020

2. option: pause update windows update for 7 days'

Since an update from windows 10 v. 1803 to 1909 I note the above option listed in update settings page. Why is a pause necessary? One moment the information on update status shows the updates are all installed yet another moment it shows that updates
    are on 'pause'. I did not add this option to updates. I am unsure how long the 'pause updates' option has been listed on the update settings page. Shall I leave it set at 7 days' pause or remove that option?

klaro 1590, Mar 25, 2020
  3. malware Win User
    Microsoft Releases New Update for Windows Vista

Microsoft yesterday released a new hotfix, KB941649, which improves the compatibility, reliability, and stability of Windows Vista. This update includes the following improvements:
    • It extends the battery life for mobile devices.
    • It improves the stability of portable computers and of desktop computers that use an uninterruptable power supply (UPS).
    • It improves the reliability of Windows Vista when you open the menu of a startup application.
    • It improves the stability of Internet Explorer when you open a Web page.
    • It improves the stability of wireless network services.
    • It shortens the startup time of Windows Vista by using a better timing structure.
    • It shortens the recovery time after Windows Vista experiences a period of inactivity.
    • It shortens the recovery time when you try to exit the Photos screen saver.
    • It improves the stability of Windows PowerShell.
    DOWNLOAD

Source: Microsoft

malware, Mar 25, 2020
  4. Microsoft is pausing optional Windows update releases

Windows Update/Problems Pausing Updates

HI Larry,

With Windows 10, you have the option to plan updates around your busy schedule or pause them. We suggest that you follow the steps provided in this

article
    to schedule updates in Windows 10.

Let us know if you require any further assistance.

Anthony Gal, Mar 25, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft is pausing optional Windows update releases

1. Microsoft is pausing optional Windows update releases - Similar Threads - Microsoft pausing optional

2. windows update has no pause option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows update has no pause option: Hi Am Josh,I recently installed window 10 in my laptop. It always keep on updating windows without any permission and has no pause option. What to do now my internet always used by updates so i faced slow internet problem in my work.Please help me asap how i can stop this...
  3. windows update has no pause option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows update has no pause option: Hi Am Josh,I recently installed window 10 in my laptop. It always keep on updating windows without any permission and has no pause option. What to do now my internet always used by updates so i faced slow internet problem in my work.Please help me asap how i can stop this...
  4. windows update has no pause option

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Update option is showing Pause Sign

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update option is showing Pause Sign: Hi All,I have tried Mutiple troubleshooting but still not able to fix this issue. Kindly please suggest some solution as i am not able to update windows because under Windows update feature there is not option available it's only showing pause sign.I have tried to start the...
  6. Windows Update option is showing Pause Sign

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update option is showing Pause Sign: Hi All,I have tried Mutiple troubleshooting but still not able to fix this issue. Kindly please suggest some solution as i am not able to update windows because under Windows update feature there is not option available it's only showing pause sign.I have tried to start the...
  7. Microsoft won’t release new Windows 10 optional updates

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft won’t release new Windows 10 optional updates: Microsoft is pausing optional cumulative updates (non-security patches) for Windows 10 due to a recent medical outbreak in Asia, Europe and other parts of the world. Most people have to deal with Windows 10 updates once every month and then typically as part of the...
  8. Microsoft pausing all optional non-security releases (C and D updates)

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft pausing all optional non-security releases (C and D updates): We have been evaluating the public health situation, and we understand this is impacting our customers. In response to these challenges we are prioritizing our focus on security updates. Starting in May 2020, we are pausing all optional non-security releases (C and D updates)...
  9. option: pause update windows update for 7 days'

option: pause update windows update for 7 days': Since an update from windows 10 v. 1803 to 1909 I note the above option listed in update settings page. Why is a pause necessary? One moment the information on update status shows the updates are all installed yet another moment it shows that updates are on 'pause'. I did...
  10. missing option for pausing windows updates

missing option for pausing windows updates: my acer aspire laptop has windows 10 installed I don't have an option under advanced options to pause windows updates for a period of time there is no slider option at all how can this be done to stop windows from always wanting to update if you don't have this function?...