Windows 10: Microsoft is reintroducing options to set a default web browser on Windows 11

Discus and support Microsoft is reintroducing options to set a default web browser on Windows 11 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; A recently released build to the Windows 11 Dev channel includes a much requested feature that Microsoft removed from the launch version of Windows 11:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Dec 5, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft is reintroducing options to set a default web browser on Windows 11

A recently released build to the Windows 11 Dev channel includes a much requested feature that Microsoft removed from the launch version of Windows 11: the ability to set a default web browser on the system with just a click.

Microsoft is reintroducing options to set a default web browser on Windows 11 Windows-11-set-default-browser.png

When Windows 11 launched, users of the operating systems noticed that setting default applications was not as easy anymore as it was under Windows 10. On Windows 10, users could set defaults for several types of applications, including the web browser, music player, video player, and email, with just a few clicks.

Microsoft is reintroducing options to set a default web browser on Windows 11 windows-10-default-apps.png

All it took was to select Start > Settings > Apps > Default Apps, click on one of the available types on the page that opens, and select a different program for the job. Windows 10 would then map all supported file types to the application.

Microsoft removed that handy option from Windows 11, making it much harder to set new default programs. While it is still possible to do so, it is now required to set each file type individually. Considering that web browsers support a few dozen file types, including .htm, .pdf, .html, .svg and others, it is clear that performing this simple task has evolved into a nuisance.

Windows 11 Build 22509.1000, released to the developer channel, includes several usability improvements. Besides more Start Menu design options, it includes options to set a web browser as the default application for all supported file types. Microsoft is resurrecting the Windows 10 feature, and the only change is that the setting is no longer found under Default Apps, which no longer exists in that form under Windows 11, but when you open the application in Default Apps on Windows 11.

There you find the new option to make the selected browser the default on the system. Doing so maps all supported file types to the browser. The change does not impact the Microsoft-Edge specific protocol that Windows 11 uses for certain links, e.g. those in widgets. Tools like Edge Deflector or MSEdgeRedirect may be used to redirect these requests to another web browser.

Web browsers are the only type of program currently that have the revived feature. When you check others, e.g. video players, you won't find the option to set these as the default for all supported file types with one click. It is possible that future builds will bring back the functionality for other types of programs.

Closing Words

The change brings back a much needed usability feature on Windows 11. There is still the chance that it won't land in release versions of Windows 11, considering that it is currently available in test builds only. The introduction of the feature for other main application types, e.g. media players, would make a lot of sense as well.

Now You: do you set programs manually as the default, or let the programs do that (if supported and not blocked by Windows)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft is reintroducing options to set a default web browser on Windows 11 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Dec 5, 2021

2. Cannot set default web browser

Hi,

My name is Mohammed Shuain, an Independent Advisor & I understand from the description that you want to make the Chrome browser as your default browser. Please follow the below steps.

Step 1:

Go to Search box next to Windows icon and type Default app Settings

Step 2:

Click to open Default app Settings

Step 3:

Under choose, default apps scroll down to see the Web browser

Step 4:

Click on the Browser shown to get the default browsers list to select from

Step 5:

Select Google Chrome

Regards

Shuaib

Independent Advisor

MohammedShuaib1986, Dec 5, 2021
  3. I can't set my default web browser

Hi Jorin,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused, I will be glad to assist you with this.

It is unusual that you are unable to set a default web browser.

I would suggest you to try the steps below to choose a default web browser again and check if the issue persists.

1. Press Windows key + R.

2. Type control and press enter to open the control panel.

3. Type default programs in the control panel search box and open it.

4. Click "set your default programs".

5. From the list of programs, locate Google chrome or Microsoft edge, click on it and click "set this program as my default".

6. Save the changes and check again.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Dec 5, 2021
  4. Microsoft is reintroducing options to set a default web browser on Windows 11

Default browser settings

Hi Jodi,

Incorrect browser settings is one of the possible reason why you're getting a pop up message it is not set. Kindly follow these steps to set Firefox as your default browser:

• Go to Settings.
    • Select System.
    • Click Default apps.
    • Scroll down and look for Web browser. In this case, the icon will say either Microsoft Edge or Choose your default browser.
    • Choose an app screen, select Firefox to set it as the default browser.
    • Close the windows to save your changes.
    • Then restart your PC.

We would appreciate an update about how it went.

Marilou Ser, Dec 5, 2021
Thema:

Microsoft is reintroducing options to set a default web browser on Windows 11

1. Microsoft is reintroducing options to set a default web browser on Windows 11 - Similar Threads - Microsoft reintroducing options

2. Choosing a default web browser

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Choosing a default web browser: Since people using Windows 10 were given the right to choose the default browser we wanted, Microsoft should provide a way to install IE11 Microsoft should provide an alternative download? So, where is the Alternative?? Ruth 801...
  3. Cannot set default web browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot set default web browser: How can I set Google Chrome as my default web browser. The last win update erased it as my default, and it no longer appears in the options window. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-set-default-web-browser/2736ac7a-5d26-49b1-be8f-b4ba10310509
  4. how set Firefox as default web browser

how set Firefox as default web browser: Although I have it loaded, it doesn't show up as an option in the default app or in the "choose default app" section. Plus, I even have trouble loading it. I realize they'd rather I not use it, but I'd sure like the choice....
  5. Default Web Browser

Default Web Browser: I do not see the option for Web Browser in my Default app section. I am trying to make Microsoft Edge to my default but i can not https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-web-browser/8d05308e-7bb2-47b8-b71e-3c1553ad1466
  6. Setting Default App for Web Browser

Setting Default App for Web Browser: I'd appreciate any help with this. So, I just got a new computer today. When logging in and starting Edge it prompts to set it as default browser for the system. Prompts to go to settings to do this. That's all easy enough- except there's not a default browser option. Only...
  7. Default Browser Setting

Default Browser Setting: I want my default browser to be Chrome. I change it in settings from Edge to Chrome, then when I re-boot, it goes right back to Edge. How do I make the change permanent?...
  8. Default web browser

Default web browser: I have recently installed the new Microsoft Edge on my Surface tablet. Now every time I browse the internet I get a message asking if I want to make Edge my default browser, and directing me to 'Settings' to set it. However, I do not have a 'Web browser' listed in my default...
  9. Setting Default Web Browser on Windows 10 Pro

Setting Default Web Browser on Windows 10 Pro: I am unable to set change the default web browser on my lap top running Windows 10 Pro, I am logged in with Admin rights. If i go to settings in Google Chrome web browser and select Make Default Windows settings home page comes up a nothing else happens. If i click the start...
  10. Trying to set Opera as web browser in default app

in Browsers and Email
    Trying to set Opera as web browser in default app: For the last two hours I have been trying to set Opera as web browser in default app under Default Apps in Settings. The only web browser is working with Microsoft Edge not other web browser. I am not sure how can I make Opera as default and rather use this not Microsoft...