Windows 10: Microsoft is reportedly working on Windows Lite to take on Chrome OS

Discus and support Microsoft is reportedly working on Windows Lite to take on Chrome OS in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; A while ago, Microsoft launched Windows 10 in S Mode, a new SKU of Windows which is limited to the Microsoft Store. Windows 10 S was Microsoft’s... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Dec 3, 2018.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft is reportedly working on Windows Lite to take on Chrome OS

A while ago, Microsoft launched Windows 10 in S Mode, a new SKU of Windows which is limited to the Microsoft Store. Windows 10 S was Microsoft’s another attempt to make Windows a lighter operating system. After Windows 10 S, the company is now reportedly working on Windows Lite.

According to Petri, like Windows 10 S, this particular OS version will be a secure flavour of Windows 10 because it will run apps downloaded from the Microsoft Store.

The name “Lite” was originally spotted in Windows 10 19H1 Insider builds and it is said to run UWPs and PWAs from the Store. Windows Lite will be pre-installed on select devices and it’s likely that this particular operating system won’t be for all consumers, enterprises or even small businesses.

Microsoft is reportedly working on Windows Lite to take on Chrome OS Surface-Hub-and-Windows-Core-OS.jpg
    Image Courtesy: Windows Central

Windows Lite is based on the long rumoured Windows Core OS and it will strip even more legacy components from the OS to make it faster and lighter. Windows Lite will coexist with the current versions of Windows 10 and it will be suitable to run on different chipset architectures such as Snapdragon processor.

As it’s based on Windows Core OS, the Lite will feature a different UI.

The Windows Lite is another operating system from Microsoft and it will target the group of consumers interested in secure and light experience. There are people who’d use a Microsoft Store-limited Windows 10 version without any problem.

The post Microsoft is reportedly working on Windows Lite to take on Chrome OS appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Dec 3, 2018
  2. 20mmrain Win User

Google Chrome and Chrome OS......

I'm not saying it is better at all. That would be impossible it is not even implemented yet. You are right I would gladly leave Windows if Linux was a viable option for Gaming. But what Google chrome OS has is growth potential.
    I used to love windows...... but have recently become somewhat anti windows. Yes Microsoft has come up with some really great idea's. But now that they are so large they do take advantage of the situation.
    That is why I get so excited when anyone comes out with a new option. I wouldn't care if it was McDonald's that came out with and OS....... I would still be excited because there would be more competition. It might make Microsoft to be a little more consumer friendly.

I never said that they would fall because of Google Chrome OS. What I was more meaning that they would fall because of their own accord. Example( Vista, Failure to listen to the customer, Internet explorer problems Exc....) I just stated that it would give a good chance for someone else to step up. And who better than a house hold name like Google.
    Like I said this is all just speculation and What if's ....... But if there were no what if's in the world then computer's in general would have never advanced in the first place. It takes someone with a creative Idea and thought to push forward things in the first place.
    And to hinder those thoughts are anti Constructive.

Although I will agree that there are just some thoughts that shouldn't be brought up...... Like for example .......... What if Nvidia's Femi is 27 times more powerful than a 5870.

At least my Idea has some logic behind it. And not just based on wild guess's

Also A question about Chrome Browser........ I have an old AOL mail account back from the days of Dial up that I still use. I am wondering if anyone else here has one and uses Chrome. When I use Chrome occasionally to access that account......... It fails to render the sign in area. Just wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same problem with either AOL or just sign in's in general with it.

20mmrain, Dec 3, 2018
  3. Windows OS Builds List

Windows Operating Systems Builds List by Matthew Smith
    *Many Builds Are Subject To Change Due To Various Sources
    NOTE: the listing titles are in order from the order in the actual list, anything added in v8 will show which beta it was updated in to keep you guys informed on what changes were made where, as of 8.0 BETA 8, 7.1 is obsolete, but will keep it up to show how many changes I've made.
    Microsoft is reportedly working on Windows Lite to take on Chrome OS [​IMG]

NOTE 2: each new list version doesn't just come up with more builds but might come with renaming/removing/replacing of the builds aswel to show proper release names such as,
    Release Candidate, RTM, Pre-Beta, etc.
    Enjoy
    Microsoft is reportedly working on Windows Lite to take on Chrome OS [​IMG]

Windows OS Builds Lists - http://www.T4CFantasy.com/WOS/
    Currently 5583 Builds Listed
    Microsoft DOS / OS/2 (Currently 118 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft BASIC (Currently 5 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Xenix (Currently 4 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft DOS 1.x (Currently 6 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft DOS 2.x (Currently 18 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft DOS 3.x (Currently 27 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft DOS 4.x (Currently 6 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft DOS 5.x (Currently 23 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft DOS 6.x (Currently 24 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft DOS 7.x (Currently 4 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft DOS 8.x (Currently 1 Build Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1

Microsoft Windows Emedded CE (Currently 138 Builds Listed)
    - Microsoft Windows Embedded CE 1.x (Currently 4 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows Embedded CE 2.x (Currently 9 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows Embedded CE 3.x (Currently 6 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows Embedded CE 4.x (Currently 9 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows Embedded CE 5.x (Currently 45 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows Embedded CE 6.x (Currently 3 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows Embedded Compact 7 (Currently 32 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows Embedded Compact 8 (Currently 30 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1

Microsoft Windows Operating Systems (Currently 5316 Builds Listed)
    - Microsoft Windows 1.x (Currently 14 Builds Listed) 8.1.0 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows 2.x (Currently 10 Builds Listed) 8.1.0 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows 3.x (Currently 59 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows 3.x For Workgroups (Currently 7 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows For Pen Computing 1.0 (Currently 5 Builds Listed) 8.1.0 BETA 4
    - Microsoft Windows For Pen Computing 2.0 (Currently 1 Builds Listed) 8.1.0 BETA 3
    - Microsoft Windows NT 3.1x (Currently 31Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows NT 3.5x (Currently 78 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows BackOffice Server 1.5 (Currently 1 Build Listed) 8.1.0 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows NT 4.x (Currently 104 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows BackOffice Server 4.0 (Currently 1 Build Listed) 8.1.0 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows BackOffice Server 4.5 (Currently 1 Build Listed) 8.1.0 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows Terminal Server 4.0 (Currently 3 Builds Listed) 8.1.0 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows BackOffice Small Business Server 4.0 (Currently 1 Build Listed) 8.1.0 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows BackOffice Small Business Server 4.5 (Currently 1 Build Listed) 8.1.0 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows 95 (Currently 224 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows 96 / Nashville (Currently 7 Builds Listed) 8.2.0 Alpha 4a
    - Microsoft Windows 97 / Memphis (Currently 12 Builds Listed) 8.2.0 Alpha 4a
    - Microsoft Windows 98 (Currently 151 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows Me (Currently 58 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows 2000 (Currently 279 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows BackOffice Server 2000 (Currently 2 Build Listed) 8.1.0 BETA 9
    - Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2000 (Currently 2 Builds Listed) 8.1.0 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows Neptune (Currently 8 Builds Listed) 8.2.0 Beta 2
    - Microsoft Windows XP (Currently 1226 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows XP Embedded (Currently 3 Builds Listed) 8.1.0 BETA 6
    - Microsoft Windows Server 2003 (Currently 186 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 (Currently 2 Builds Listed) 8.1.0 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2 (Currently 1 Build Listed) 8.1.0 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows .NET Server 2003 R2 (Currently 5 Builds Listed) 8.0.0 BETA 4
    - Microsoft Windows Embedded for Point of Service (Currently 1 Build Listed) 8.1.0 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard 2009 (Currently 2 Builds Listed) 8.1.0 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 (Currently 1 Build Listed) 8.1.0 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows Vista (Currently 713 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (Currently 483 Builds Listed) 8.1.0 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows 7 (Currently 580 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (Currently 364 Builds Listed) 8.1.0 BETA 5
    - Microsoft Windows HPC Server 2008 (Currently 8 Builds Listed) 8.0.2 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows HPC Server 2008 R2 (Currently 12 Builds Listed) 8.1.0 BETA 5
    - Microsoft Windows Hyper-V Server 2008 (Currently 5 Builds Listed) 8.2.0 Beta 1
    - Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2008 (Currently 2 Builds Listed) 8.0.2 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 (Currently 3 Builds Listed) 8.0.2 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials (Currently 1 Build Listed) 8.0.3 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2008 (Currently 3 Builds Listed) 8.0.1 BETA 2
    - Microsoft Windows Essential Business Server 2008 (Currently 14 Builds Listed) 8.0.2 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Foundation (Currently 1 Build Listed) 8.1.0 BETA 6
    - Microsoft Windows Home Server (Currently 20 Builds Listed) 8.0.2 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 (Currently 10 Builds Listed) 8.1.0 BETA 7
    - Microsoft Windows MultiPoint Server 2010 (Currently 2 Builds Listed) 8.0.0 BETA 5
    - Microsoft Windows MultiPoint Server 2011 (Currently 6 Builds Listed) 8.1.0 BETA 7
    - Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials (Currently 4 Builds Listed) 8.0.3 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2011 (Currently 7 Builds Listed) 8.1.0 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard 7 (Currently 6 Builds Listed) 8.0.3 BETA
    - Microsoft Windows Embedded POSReady 7 (Currently 3 Builds Listed) 8.1.0 BETA 5
    - Microsoft Windows Thin PC (Currently 3 Builds Listed) 8.1.0 BETA 5
    - Microsoft Windows 8 (Currently 419 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows Server 2012 (Currently 161 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1
    - Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Essentials (Currently 2 Builds Listed) 8.4.0 Alpha 1

T4C Fantasy, Dec 3, 2018
  4. AsRock Win User

Google Chrome and Chrome OS......

Chrome OS better than Linux yeah right. Don't believe the hype.

Google Chrome browser is nothing special and find Seamonkey much better one.

If only Linux worked with all games then windows would not see the light of day on any of my systems.

AsRock, Dec 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft is reportedly working on Windows Lite to take on Chrome OS - Similar Threads - Microsoft reportedly working

2. How do I report a OS bug to Microsoft?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I report a OS bug to Microsoft?: I'm asking because I'm trying to bring light a security bug where after restart or shutdown, it doesn't bring up the login screen, instead already has you logged in. As for what happened before this bug, I had my system updated and only has one account on it. If additional...
  3. Windows Lite

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Lite: Will ever Microsoft build a slim and basic versions of Windows? I miss the lightning speed and simplicity of Windows XP, Windows now is stuffed with unnecessary programs, that are already devouring the PC resources, slowing everything down. Will we get the windows we hope...
  4. Microsoft’s Chrome OS rival Windows 10X reportedly not coming in 2021

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft’s Chrome OS rival Windows 10X reportedly not coming in 2021: Microsoft has reportedly put Windows 10X on the back burner, delaying the efforts to develop a Chrome OS-killer operating system for single-screen and dual-screen devices, according to sources familiar with the company’s plan. First announced at the Surface event in October...
  5. Chrome OS and Fyde OS

in Windows 10 Customization
    Chrome OS and Fyde OS: I was installing CloudReady from NeverWare, but I learnt that CloudReady doesn't support Play Store. But I found this from Google. Will this coding enable me to use play store in cloudready ? It is attached below. [ATTACH] Or should I install Fyde OS ? Please help ! And...
  6. windows lite

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows lite: can u make windows 10 lite because windows 10 is using 2gb of ram at idle https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-lite/85c907ab-8c3e-4ba7-ba58-2627226e62bb
  7. Changing Chrome OS to Windows 10 OS?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing Chrome OS to Windows 10 OS?: Where would the new Drivers be located for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-chrome-os-to-windows-10-os/6590ca4e-26e5-4247-a0f2-37f402100bcc
  8. Microsoft new Windows Lite OS may be called Windows 10X

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft new Windows Lite OS may be called Windows 10X: Microsoft may well have no more surprises left for its Surface event tomorrow, as the flow of leaks apparently isn’t drying up today. After leaking new marketing pictures for the Surface Pro 7, Surface Laptop 3, and the new ARM-powered Surface, Evan Blass (aka @evleaks on...
  9. New report sheds light on interface and capabilities of Windows Lite

in Windows 10 News
    New report sheds light on interface and capabilities of Windows Lite: Multiple rumours have confirmed that Microsoft is internally developing a new version of Windows, which could be launched under a new brand, to compete with Chromebooks in the education sector. It’s not clear whether Microsoft will launch the new lightweight platform as...
  10. More details on Microsoft’s rumoured Windows Lite OS appears online

in Windows 10 News
    More details on Microsoft’s rumoured Windows Lite OS appears online: Microsoft is said to be working on a lightweight version of the desktop operating system reported called ‘Lite’ and it is intended to be optimised for 2-in-1s, laptops and tablets. According to Brad Sams, the ‘Lite’ operating system is squarely aimed at the likes of...