Windows 10: Microsoft is rewriting core Windows code in Rust

Discus and support Microsoft is rewriting core Windows code in Rust in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Core Windows components are rewritten in the memory-safe programming language Rust by Microsoft engineers, according to David Weston, Enterprise and OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 30, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft is rewriting core Windows code in Rust

Core Windows components are rewritten in the memory-safe programming language Rust by Microsoft engineers, according to David Weston, Enterprise and OS Security Vice President at Microsoft.

Weston revealed the change during the BlueHat IL 2023 conference. Microsoft engineers replace C++ code with Rust. Windows could soon boot "with Rust in the kernel" stated Weston, who suggested that this could happen in the next couple of weeks or months already.

Microsoft has shown interest in the Rust programming language, especially because of the languages security features that are designed to prevent code that could potentially be exploited.

Microsoft is rewriting core Windows code in Rust microsoft-1.jpg
    Microsoft

Broken down to its core, Rust is an easier to learn language that benefits from strong features that prevent common forms of attacks against the programs and services that have been created in the programming language.

Microsoft's main goal at this point was to "convert some [..] internal C++ data types into their Rust equivalents" according to Weston. About 36,000 lines of Rust code are now part of the Microsoft Windows graphics device interface, Win32 GDI. A recent Windows 11 version with the Rust components included booted without major issues and passed all GDI tests.

Microsoft ran benchmarks and performance tests to test the code against the non-Rust version, and no major performance regressions were detected during these tests.

The Rust part is not enabled by default for customers who use the operating system. Microsoft may use a controlled roll out in the coming weeks or months to test the functionality on a wider set of devices. Eventually, the company will enable the Rust parts for all customers who run Windows 11.

It is too early to tell how beneficial the integration will be in the short run. The converted parts will likely be more secure against potential exploits and if this initial launch is promising , will likely result in more code being converted from C++ to Rust.

For Rust, it is a major push in the right direction. Microsoft's commitment to Rust could improve general and developer tooling support.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft is rewriting core Windows code in Rust appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 30, 2023
  2. Brink Win User

Microsoft creating Rust-based programming language for secure coding

Read more: Using Rust in Windows

Brink, Apr 30, 2023
  3. Brink Win User
    Microsoft creating Rust-based programming language for secure coding

Read more: Microsoft: We're creating a new Rust-based programming language for secure coding | ZDNet

Brink, Apr 30, 2023
  4. Microsoft is rewriting core Windows code in Rust

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Apr 30, 2023
Thema:

Microsoft is rewriting core Windows code in Rust

1. Microsoft is rewriting core Windows code in Rust - Similar Threads - Microsoft rewriting core

2. rust pc please

in Windows 10 Gaming
    rust pc please: umm please can i have you help please cause my rust please is not work please help every thing is fine i think please my pc is very good please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rust-pc-please/fc18daae-e4f8-4b86-a512-bfb3399f5e6d
  3. Error Code: 30005 StartService EasyAntiCheat_EOSSys failed with 1275. - Rust

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error Code: 30005 StartService EasyAntiCheat_EOSSys failed with 1275. - Rust: Hello everyone, Today I played Rust and logged off few hours later , After a few hours I tried to re-launch the game once again using steam and received that error code with those details:ProductId: -1416743296 32bitWindows Version: 10.0 Build 22621Error Code: 30005Process...
  4. Error Code: 30005 StartService EasyAntiCheat_EOSSys failed with 1275. - Rust

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error Code: 30005 StartService EasyAntiCheat_EOSSys failed with 1275. - Rust: Hello everyone, Today I played Rust and logged off few hours later , After a few hours I tried to re-launch the game once again using steam and received that error code with those details:ProductId: -1416743296 32bitWindows Version: 10.0 Build 22621Error Code: 30005Process...
  5. Fresh rewrite of the W10 bootloader

in Windows 10 Support
    Fresh rewrite of the W10 bootloader: What would be the proper way to rewrite the W10 bootloader? Out of the partitions 99MB, 91.90MB is used, leaving only 7.10MB unused. Too many Linux dual-boot sessions have grown the used portion of the boot partition from 34.45MB to the present 91.9MB. The GRUB entries were...
  6. Announcing Rust for Windows v0.9

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Rust for Windows v0.9: Rust for Windows v0.9 has recently been released and includes full consumption support, along with several other updates! With completed consumption support, you can now call any Windows APIs (past, present, and future) using the Rust language projection. Rust developers have...
  7. Would discs rust?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Would discs rust?: Hi, I have bought some new movies DVD last year, But I haven't played them so far, Would discs deintegrate and rust(I haven't even opened the packets) if I don't play them? 170584
  8. Microsoft creating Rust-based programming language for secure coding

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft creating Rust-based programming language for secure coding: Microsoft can't throw away old Windows code, but the company's research under Project Verona is aiming to make Windows 10 more secure with its recent work on integrating Mozilla-developed Rust for low-level Windows components. The company recently revealed that its trials...
  9. Rust and steam crashes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Rust and steam crashes: I have a omen with a i5 7600k, a gtx 1060 and 8 gigabytes of ram. It has windows ten on it, and no SSD. My rust crashes about every hour of playing, and the frames seem low. I have the same issue with minecraft, but other random games do fine like garrys mod and such. Is my...
  10. Microsoft quietly rewrites its activation rules for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft quietly rewrites its activation rules for Windows 10: Windows product keys are almost (but not quite) a thing of the past. With Windows 10, Microsoft has rewritten the rules for how it performs product activation on retail upgrades of Windows. The net result is that clean installs will be much easier--but only after you get...