Windows 10: Microsoft is rolling out an update to fix Windows 10 SFC feature

Discus and support Microsoft is rolling out an update to fix Windows 10 SFC feature in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In July, a number of Windows 10 users were having issues when fixing corrupted files with sfc /scannow feature and Microsoft revealed that the culprit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Aug 17, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft is rolling out an update to fix Windows 10 SFC feature

In July, a number of Windows 10 users were having issues when fixing corrupted files with sfc /scannow feature and Microsoft revealed that the culprit is an update that the firm released for Windows Defender.

Windows 10’s sfc /snannow command line feature has been failing with the following error message:

• Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

The error displayed in the Command Prompt window also recommended users to check log files and the log file revealed that hashes for file member (PowerShell module files) do not match. Microsoft quickly acknowledged the issue on July 16 and the Redmond firm stated that SFC feature was incorrectly flagging Windows Defender PowerShell module files as corrupted, which resulted in this error.

Microsoft is rolling out an update to fix Windows 10 SFC feature Windows-10-SFC.jpg

Users encountered this bug on various Windows 10 editions with Windows Defender version 4.18.1906.3 and versions older than 4.8.1908.

In an update to its support documentation, Microsoft yesterday confirmed that the latest Windows Defender update has fixed the botched error message and SFC feature should now function without any errors.

To fix SFC /scannow failures, you will have to install Windows Defender version 4.8.1908 or newer. After installing the update, Windows 10’s SFC feature will no longer incorrectly flag the PowerShell files as corrupted.

Or you can also the DISM tool in the Command Prompt to repair Windows 10 image files:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    sfc /scannow

Windows Defender updates are installed automatically with little to no input unless users have manually turned off automatic updates or disabled Windows Update services.

Microsoft also noted that the update has been rolled out to all affected versions of Windows 10.

The post Microsoft is rolling out an update to fix Windows 10 SFC feature appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Aug 17, 2019
  2. btarunr Win User

Microsoft Rolls Out the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Microsoft late Tuesday rolled out the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, marking 1 year in the market for the operating system, and with it, ending the Windows 10 Free Upgrade offer. The new update bears the internal version 1607, with build 14393. The update is several gigabytes in size, and effectively replaces your existing Windows 10 installation.

The update adds new features to Windows Ink, the stylus-based live notes app; Cortana, the voice assistant, which can now be accessed right from the lock-screen, and is integrated with even more apps; and Windows Hello, the in-built biometric ID system, which has been integrated with many more third-party services, such as Dropbox; improvements to Windows Defender, the anti-malware tool; and various under-the-hood improvements that increase performance and energy-efficiency (lower battery usage).

Microsoft is rolling out an update to fix Windows 10 SFC feature 15a_thm.jpg

btarunr, Aug 17, 2019
  3. desennium Win User
    Microsoft Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Available Today

Microsoft released Windows 10, code named "Threshold 1," a little over two years ago. As of May of this year, there were approximately 500 million Windows 10 devices worldwide. Originally, Microsoft predicted that Windows 10 would be installed on 1 billion devices by mid-2018. When released, Windows 10 gained huge adoption from those running Windows 7 from the "free-upgrade program" which lasted one year.

Since then however, installations have slowly declined and in July of last year, Microsoft admitted that they would miss their projected goal of 1 billion devices. Since its release, Windows 10 has had three major update releases with "Threshold 2," in 2015, "Anniversary Update," in 2016, "Creators Update" in April of this year and today marks the release of Microsoft's fourth major feature update to its operating system, dubbed "Fall Creators Update," version 1709.

Today's update brings about many new features including:
    • OneDrive On demand (formerly known as OneDrive Placeholders introduced in WIndows 8.1) a way to keep track of your files stored on OneDrive from any of your devices without having to store them locally.
    • 'My People' Hub Integration makes it easier to stay in touch with people right from the taskbar
    • Story Remix gives you to the tools and the power to create content from your photos and videos to make memorable stories
    • Windows Mixed Reality brings a new generation of augmented reality where the real world meets the digital one.
    • Fluent Design System is Microsoft's new design that will take place over the next few years with each feature update. Microsoft intends to make all products and devices one user interface and it begins with the Fall Creators Update.

Furthermore, Microsoft has made changes and brings privacy enhancements with today's update. The Fall Creators Update gives users more control of what information is being collected. Users will be greeted with the Privacy Statement on the setup process to get an idea of what information that entails. Microsoft is also adding two game anti-cheating systems, called TruePlay and Game Monitor, to address the problem of cheating similarly to what VAC (Valve Anti-Cheating) does for Steam.

The Fall Creators Update is available today but will be rolled out in stages as usual. Newer devices most compatible with Windows 10 will receive the update first. The rollout will take several months before everyone is updated. However, if you don't see today's update you can use the Update Assistant Tool to manually update now, here.

Source: Microsoft

desennium, Aug 17, 2019
  4. Microsoft is rolling out an update to fix Windows 10 SFC feature

Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Microsoft is rolling out an update to fix Windows 10 SFC feature [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Aug 17, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft is rolling out an update to fix Windows 10 SFC feature

1. Microsoft is rolling out an update to fix Windows 10 SFC feature - Similar Threads - Microsoft rolling update

2. Please roll out a fix in updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please roll out a fix in updates: Hello Microsoft,I am posting this because of who I work for.In December 2021, an update was rolled out when the issue was first rolled out. My computer started to slow down. Keep in mind, my computers are not old. All of the computers in my home started to slow down. My main...
  3. Please roll out a fix in updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Please roll out a fix in updates: Hello Microsoft,I am posting this because of who I work for.In December 2021, an update was rolled out when the issue was first rolled out. My computer started to slow down. Keep in mind, my computers are not old. All of the computers in my home started to slow down. My main...
  4. Please roll out a fix in updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Microsoft is rolling out emergency fix for Windows 10 printing issues

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is rolling out emergency fix for Windows 10 printing issues: On July 6, Microsoft released the emergency security updates to supported Windows 10 versions. While the updates brought the important bug fixes for PrintNightmare vulnerability, several users began reporting printing failures and Blue Screen of Death errors. The bug –...
  6. Microsoft rolls out KB5004945 emergency Windows Update to fix PrintNightmare...

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft rolls out KB5004945 emergency Windows Update to fix PrintNightmare...: Microsoft has had a troubled year dealing with Windows Updates causing printer issues. The latest problem that has affected printers is called PrintNightmare, which is a remote code execution vulnerability. [ATTACH] Martin wrote an article about this, where he explains a...
  7. Windows 10 21H2 preview update is rolling out with several new features

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 21H2 preview update is rolling out with several new features: Windows 10 is getting a new preview Build 21337 for users testing version 21H2 “Sun Valley” update in the Dev Channel of the Insider program. Windows 10 21H2 Build 21337 contains numerous tweaks for Virtual Desktops, Windows File Explorer, and in-box apps (pre-installed...
  8. Microsoft is rolling out Windows 10 KB4497165 update

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is rolling out Windows 10 KB4497165 update: Earlier today, Microsoft pushed out KB4497165 for Windows 10 version 1909 and version 1903. Since security updates are mandatory in Windows 10, it’s likely that the update is already listed in your Windows Update page or you already have it installed. So what does it do?...
  9. Microsoft is rolling out important Windows 10 update changes

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is rolling out important Windows 10 update changes: Today, Microsoft is implementing measures that could improve overall Windows Update experience on Windows 10. Microsoft has struggled to get the way it updates Windows right and users have reported problems after every Windows 10 update. In 2019, Microsoft was criticized for...
  10. Microsoft is rolling out Windows 10 updates to fix Privacy settings bug

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is rolling out Windows 10 updates to fix Privacy settings bug: Microsoft is rolling out new updates for Windows 10 to fix a bug that broke privacy settings on a small number of devices. Microsoft explains that the issue impacted only a small fraction of devices running Windows 10 version 1809, version 1803 and version 1709. As per the...