Windows 10: Microsoft is rolling out Windows 10 updates to fix Privacy settings bug

Discus and support Microsoft is rolling out Windows 10 updates to fix Privacy settings bug in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft is rolling out new updates for Windows 10 to fix a bug that broke privacy settings on a small number of devices. Microsoft explains that the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Jun 19, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft is rolling out Windows 10 updates to fix Privacy settings bug

Microsoft is rolling out new updates for Windows 10 to fix a bug that broke privacy settings on a small number of devices. Microsoft explains that the issue impacted only a small fraction of devices running Windows 10 version 1809, version 1803 and version 1709.

As per the support document, certain privacy settings and their information were not properly displayed when setting up Windows 10 for the first time.

When you clean install Windows 10 or run the OS for the first time, you are provided with various options and slides to customize important privacy settings before booting to the desktop.

A bug in some installations of Windows 10 impacted the following privacy settings:

• Location.
    • Diagnostic Data.
    • Improve inking and typing privacy settings.

The above options or their information were not properly shown during a Windows 10 installation.

If your device was one of those impacted by this issue, you’ll receive the following update updates:

• KB4499918 for Windows 10 version 1809 released on June 18.
    • KB4489220 for Windows 10 version 1803 released on June 18.
    • KB4489219 for Windows 10 version 1709 released on March 19.

As Microsoft noted in another doc, this update is only for users who experienced an issue making privacy settings choices while setting up a Windows 10 version 1809 device.

To find if Microsoft installed any such update on your PC, follow these steps:

• Open Settings > Windows Update.
    • Click the Update history link.

Inside the Windows Update page, you will find the most recent updates that Microsoft installed on your PC. If you don’t see the above updates on the Windows Update page, you were not affected by the bug.

Microsoft says it remains committed to Windows 10 users privacy and customers can always review their privacy settings from Settings > Privacy.

The post Microsoft is rolling out Windows 10 updates to fix Privacy settings bug appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Jun 19, 2019
  2. P4-630 Win User

Windows 10 Creators Update to Feature New Levels of Privacy Control

Just a tiny step closer before I'll upgrade to windows 10....

P4-630, Jun 19, 2019
  3. Jism Win User
    Windows 10 Creators Update to Feature New Levels of Privacy Control

Come'on. Even tho it offers a privacy setting, it's still not good enough.

There's a very good article on What data Windows 10 sends to Microsoft and how to stop it – HackMag what explains what your W10 OS is doing on the background and what type of data it is sending.

Making a privacy setting still submits the very basic tracking data to various servers, and no-one actually knows what is happening with that.

Windows 7 never had any privacy killing features aboard, untill they pushed an update to even computers with automatic updated turned off, offering the same type of stuff.

People need to be aware that this is just a 'small' step into a future where privacy is just no more. This privacy will be gone the more the masses keep signing up to services in exchange for their data. W10, Google, Facebook, they are all a perfectly good example of company's who became too big.

Remove telemetry updates for Windows 7 and 8.1

Some good stuff.

4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Privacy tweaks...

• Turn Cortana Off. Bring up the Start menu and start typing. Click on the notebook icon in the left sidebar and choose Settings. From there, you can turn off Cortana.
    • Search online and include web results. When you turn off Cortana, you’ll see this option appear. You can turn it off if you’d rather not get web search suggestions from the Start menu, which log your typing and send it back to Microsoft so you can get live-updating predictions, just like you do on Google.com or in Chrome and Firefox.
    • Getting to Know You. In Settings > Privacy > Speech, Inking, & Typing, you’ll find a feature called “Getting to Know You”. This is probably the most sweeping privacy setting on the system, and even after turning off Cortana, you’ll have to disable this setting. Just click the “Stop Getting to Know Me” button to turn it off.
    • Cloud Info. Turning off Getting to Know You removes info from your device, but you’ll have to remove it from the cloud separately. In that same window, click “Go to Bing and manage personal info for all your devices” to clear the Getting to Know You Data from your Microsoft account.

• If you head to Settings > Privacy > Feedback & Diagnostics, you’ll see two settings:
    • Feedback frequency: Windows will occasionally ask you for feedback so you can send Microsoft your thoughts on Windows 10. If you’d rather it not bug you with such things, you can change it to Never.
    • Diagnostic and usage data: This feature can send a lot of data back to Microsoft, including how often you use certain apps, which apps you use most often, and memory snapshots (which can inadvertently include parts of a document you’re working on if something crashes). You can change this to Full, Enhanced, or Basic. You can read more about what each of these to here.
    Microsoft doesn’t let you turn off diagnostics completely, except on Enterprise versions of Windows. The Basic setting, they say, is data that is “vital to the operation of Windows”, including Windows Update and malicious software protection.

some may be duplicated. I found this info on Lifehacker, if anyone wants the full article.

Ahhzz, Jun 19, 2019
Thema:

1. Microsoft is rolling out Windows 10 updates to fix Privacy settings bug - Similar Threads - Microsoft rolling updates

2. Please roll out a fix in updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please roll out a fix in updates: Hello Microsoft,I am posting this because of who I work for.In December 2021, an update was rolled out when the issue was first rolled out. My computer started to slow down. Keep in mind, my computers are not old. All of the computers in my home started to slow down. My main...
  3. Please roll out a fix in updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Please roll out a fix in updates: Hello Microsoft,I am posting this because of who I work for.In December 2021, an update was rolled out when the issue was first rolled out. My computer started to slow down. Keep in mind, my computers are not old. All of the computers in my home started to slow down. My main...
  4. Please roll out a fix in updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Microsoft is rolling out emergency fix for Windows 10 printing issues

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is rolling out emergency fix for Windows 10 printing issues: On July 6, Microsoft released the emergency security updates to supported Windows 10 versions. While the updates brought the important bug fixes for PrintNightmare vulnerability, several users began reporting printing failures and Blue Screen of Death errors. The bug –...
  6. Microsoft rolls out KB5004945 emergency Windows Update to fix PrintNightmare...

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft rolls out KB5004945 emergency Windows Update to fix PrintNightmare...: Microsoft has had a troubled year dealing with Windows Updates causing printer issues. The latest problem that has affected printers is called PrintNightmare, which is a remote code execution vulnerability. [ATTACH] Martin wrote an article about this, where he explains a...
  7. Microsoft is rolling out important Windows 10 update changes

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is rolling out important Windows 10 update changes: Today, Microsoft is implementing measures that could improve overall Windows Update experience on Windows 10. Microsoft has struggled to get the way it updates Windows right and users have reported problems after every Windows 10 update. In 2019, Microsoft was criticized for...
  8. Microsoft is rolling out an update to fix Windows 10 SFC feature

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is rolling out an update to fix Windows 10 SFC feature: In July, a number of Windows 10 users were having issues when fixing corrupted files with sfc /scannow feature and Microsoft revealed that the culprit is an update that the firm released for Windows Defender. Windows 10’s sfc /snannow command line feature has been failing...
  9. New Windows 10 1809 update rolls out: Mapped-drive bug finally fixed.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Windows 10 1809 update rolls out: Mapped-drive bug finally fixed.: The new Windows 10 (October) V1809 Update rolls out (again) today. Hopefully without problems. https://www.zdnet.com/article/new-windows-10-1809-update-rolls-out-mapped-drive-bug-finally-fixed/?ftag=TREdecd1b0&bhid=24735****8328546 KB 4469342 nudges Windows 10 1809 up to...
  10. Windows 10 Build 17134.137 is now rolling out with bug fixes

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Build 17134.137 is now rolling out with bug fixes: The second patch for Windows 10 April 2018 Update (version 1803) is now rolling out with a long list of bug fixes. The direct download links for Windows 10 KB4294848 are available on Microsoft’s Update catalog website, and you can use the offline installer to manually upgrade...