Windows 10: Microsoft is testing some Snap layout improvements in Windows 11 Insider Preview

Discus and support Microsoft is testing some Snap layout improvements in Windows 11 Insider Preview in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25300 was released to the Dev Channel today. It now supports live captions in more languages, and some new Snap layout... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Feb 16, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft is testing some Snap layout improvements in Windows 11 Insider Preview

Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25300 was released to the Dev Channel today. It now supports live captions in more languages, and some new Snap layout styles.

Microsoft is testing some Snap layout improvements in Windows 11 Insider Preview Microsoft-is-testing-some-new-Snap-layout-options-in-Windows-11.jpg

Microsoft shared a screenshot of the upcoming change, and explained what it plans to do with the layouts. This is how the Snap layouts in Windows 11's stable channel works, you mouse over the maximize button of a program's window, then move the cursor over one of the options and click on it to snap the selected window to a specific part of the screen. Refer to the screenshot below for reference.

Microsoft is testing some Snap layout improvements in Windows 11 Insider Preview default-snap-layout-experience-Windows-11.jpg

The new layout styles offer the same experience overall, but includes some visual improvements to help users understand which window is being moved. The feature is being A/B tested, hence it is not available for everyone. Twitter user, PhantomOfEarth, shared the commands that we can use to try out the new styles before they roll out to all users.

You will need to update to Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25300 to test the new Snap styles. If you are familiar with using ViveTool, just skip to step 4, and use the Velocity ID to enable the new UI.

How to enable the new Snap layout options in Windows 11 Insider Preview

1. Download the ViveTool utility from GitHub, and extract the archive's contents to a folder.

2. Open Terminal with administrator privileges.

3. Switch to the ViveTool folder.

4. Paste the following velocity ID to enable the new Snap mode style.

.\vivetool /enable /id:40851068

5. Restart your computer, or kill and restart Windows Explorer from Task Manager to apply the change.

The above velocity ID makes the OS displays a "Snap this window" label at the top of the preview, when you hover the cursor over the Maximize button. (Refer to the 1st screenshot)

.\vivetool /enable /id:40851068

Microsoft is testing some Snap layout improvements in Windows 11 Insider Preview How-to-enable-the-new-Snap-layout-options-in-Windows-11.jpg

There are 3 other variants (or styles) that you may choose from. You just need to add /variant:1 or 2 or 3 at the end of the command, depending on the one you want to use.

For example, this is how you can enable the 1st variant:

.\vivetool /enable /id:40851068 /variant:1

If you want to get back to the default experience, use the number 0 in place of 1. To disable the velocity ID and revert to the original style, replace the word enable in the command with the word disable.

Variant 1 does not display the "Snap this window" label, so it is basically identical to the stable version of Windows 11, but it does make the Snap panel pop up a tad faster than the normal mode. The 2nd variant not only shows the label that I mentioned earlier, but also displays the icon of the current app inside the snap panel's preview. For example, if I wanted to snap the Terminal window to the top right side of the screen, I would move the mouse over the corresponding layout and over the specific thumbnail, which would display the app's icon in the corresponding position in the preview. That's a nice improvement.

The last of the 4 styles, which is variant number 3, combines the original style (zero) with that of 1 and 2, so it not only displays the "Snap this window" label, it also shows the app icon in the preview, and also has the faster animation. So, this is sort of the best of all words thing, and I think it's quite good. Having the snap layouts pop-up faster with 2 visual aids is great, as they might help you avoid snapping a wrong program's window by mistake.

Microsoft is testing some Snap layout improvements in Windows 11 Insider Preview New-Snap-layout-options-in-Windows-11-with-app-icon-and-label.jpg

I think it would have been better if the thumbnail preview displayed the icons of other windows that have been snapped on the screen (while still in Snap window mode). For example, If you had Notepad, Explorer, Firefox snapped to three different corners of the screen, the panel should show their icons in the Snap preview, that might help you decide where you would like to move a specific window to. But perhaps having too many icons on the screen could make it a cluttered experience.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft is testing some Snap layout improvements in Windows 11 Insider Preview appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Feb 16, 2023

2. How to: Use Snap Layouts and Snap groups in Windows 11

Article updated with Improvements to Snap Layouts in Windows Insider Build 22557.

Sumit (Volunteer Moderator), Feb 16, 2023
  3. How to: Use Snap Layouts and Snap groups in Windows 11

Windows 11 comes with a lot of multi-tasking improvements, one of the best ones is Snap layouts and Snap groups. This article discusses how to use Snap Layouts and Snap groups in Windows 11.

How to use Snap Layouts in Windows 11

Microsoft is testing some Snap layout improvements in Windows 11 Insider Preview [​IMG]

Snap layouts in action - Picture credits https://blogs.windows.com/

The new Snap layouts feature focus is to increase user's productivity, which helps to arrange or snap the apps logically on the screen according to the user choice. This is particularly helpful when the user has a bigger, or widescreen, and has multiple applications open as per the requirement. To invoke snap layouts, on the active Window, either press Windows key+Z or hover over the maximize button. In the earlier releases of Windows, the user had to drag the app to the edge of the screen to activate the snapping feature.

On traditional displays, you would see four layout choices and for ultrawide screens, you would see six layout choices.

Microsoft is testing some Snap layout improvements in Windows 11 Insider Preview 5e34f79a-a6fd-4966-af48-1a56317d4753?upload=true.png

To choose the location of the app, simply click the mouse button in the desired layout to snap the first active app on that part of the screen. When the first app is snapped, snap assist would show up, asking you to select the app you want to snap on the second layout. After the second, select the app for 3rd layout(if you selected that layout) and so on.

Microsoft is testing some Snap layout improvements in Windows 11 Insider Preview 13a8adac-3dc2-407b-825a-3804165098d4?upload=true.png

(In the Picture - snap assist on the right when Hyper-V is snapped on the left)

Snap groups:

So after using Snap groups to snap your work apps, let us say you want to take a break, and want to use Focus sessions on the Clock app. This is where the snap group feature comes in handy. You can pick up where you left them off and can open the layout with a single click. In the taskbar, it shows the title as Group.

Microsoft is testing some Snap layout improvements in Windows 11 Insider Preview 089b3527-1b3e-41cd-89b4-04c3e1d645a3?upload=true.png

Snap Group having 2 apps grouped

To summarize, Snap groups remember the layouts used when multiple apps have been snapped mutually into a group using the Snap Layouts feature so that you can quickly resume where you left off.

Coming Soon

In the Windows Insider Builds 22557+, Microsoft has introduced a new way to invoke Snap layouts. Just drag a window to the top of the screen to reveal the snap layouts, drop the window on top of a zone to snap it, and use snap assist to finish building your layout.

Microsoft is testing some Snap layout improvements in Windows 11 Insider Preview 3833deb8-e3f6-456b-a2ff-35d889505b99?upload=true.gif

How to turn off Snap Flyouts

In case this feature is not relevant to you, Microsoft has also provided an option in Windows 11 to turn off specific settings related to Snapping in the Settings app. To turn off Snap layouts:

1. Open Settings>System.
    2. Navigate to Multi-tasking.
    3. Turn off the settings you like, under snapping.

Microsoft is testing some Snap layout improvements in Windows 11 Insider Preview c59606d3-3543-4332-a6ab-1d547182f259?upload=true.png

Also read:

Sumit (Volunteer Moderator), Feb 16, 2023
  4. Microsoft is testing some Snap layout improvements in Windows 11 Insider Preview

Snap layout

Hi, I'm Robinson, and I’m happy to help you today.

I know how frustrating this may be for you but I'll do my very best to help you.

Please check this link to see how to create custom snap layouts in Windows 11 using Microsoft PowerToys.

https://allthings.how/how-to-create-custom-snap...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products).

RobinsonSilvestre, Feb 16, 2023
Thema:

Microsoft is testing some Snap layout improvements in Windows 11 Insider Preview

1. Microsoft is testing some Snap layout improvements in Windows 11 Insider Preview - Similar Threads - Microsoft testing Snap

2. Snap Layout Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Snap Layout Issue: I recently noticed the snap layout feature on Windows 11, which gives us a variety of options to choose from differs from that I have. Could anyone tell why is it so ? I am attaching screenshots below to show the difference more clearly.This is the one I saw on Online.and,...
  3. Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25131 improves the performance of the Microsoft Store app...

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25131 improves the performance of the Microsoft Store app...: Microsoft has released Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25131 to the Dev Channel. There are no new features in this update, it focuses on fixing bugs. [ATTACH] Fixes in Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25131 A problem that was causing File Explorer to hang when browsing...
  4. Snap layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snap layout: Hi - Is it possible to customize the snap layout? E.g., there is a four squares layout, I'd like to have 9 squares. Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snap-layout/84eb9f9a-a1a5-403a-9516-c29373f6f2f1
  5. Snap layout

Snap layout: Hi - Is it possible to customize the snap layout? E.g., there is a four squares layout, I'd like to have 9 squares. Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snap-layout/84eb9f9a-a1a5-403a-9516-c29373f6f2f1
  6. Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22538 brings some improvements to Voice Access and the UI...

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22538 brings some improvements to Voice Access and the UI...: Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22538 is now available in the Dev Channel. This release focuses on improvements to Voice Access, Voice Typing, a couple of changes to the interface and fixes some issues that were reported by users. [ATTACH] Voice Access and Voice Typing...
  7. Snap layout missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snap layout missing: Only 4 snap layout options are available in windows 11 instead of 6 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snap-layout-missing/ff40ffeb-e856-44de-a934-4b5fdf6636af
  8. Snap layout missing

Snap layout missing: Only 4 snap layout options are available in windows 11 instead of 6 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snap-layout-missing/ff40ffeb-e856-44de-a934-4b5fdf6636af
  9. Snap Layouts query

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snap Layouts query: The above are the snap layouts I had available when I first downloaded windows 11.The available layouts are now reduced to 4 options as shown below.Is there a way to get back all the options as the option with three vertical columns was very helpful to my workflow.Thank you!...
  10. Layout Improvements

in Windows 10 Customization
    Layout Improvements: Hey, Microsoft. i want a lot of improvements for Windows, and here is one of them. LAYOUT. The File Explorer layout UI, needs an improvement. It has been looking like that on my Windows since the Windows 7 version which I don't know what is it like before. And the UI...