Windows 10: Microsoft is Tracking File Downloads Into The Download Folder

Discus and support Microsoft is Tracking File Downloads Into The Download Folder in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I would like to know why Microsoft is tracking files that are sent the download folder. This issue began with Window 10, and it continues into Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by The_Inspector_069, Feb 17, 2023.

1. Microsoft is Tracking File Downloads Into The Download Folder

I would like to know why Microsoft is tracking files that are sent the download folder. This issue began with Window 10, and it continues into Windows 11. I discovered this when I downloaded a file from a website that I downloaded a year ago. Low and behold, it informed me that this file was downloaded in the past.Oh yes, I went into History and cleared it, and result was ineffective.

:)

The_Inspector_069, Feb 17, 2023

2. Downloaded files disappear

When you download a file through any browser, there's an option somewhere to 'Open Containing Folder.'

In Windows, to find a file you have downloaded...

1. Open your personal folder by clicking the Start button and then clicking your user name at the top of the Start menu's right pane.
    2. Double-click one of the following folders:
      • Downloads
      • Documents
      • Pictures
      • Videos
      • Music

If you do not see the file you are looking for, but know its file name, you can search for it by following these steps:
    To search for a file you have downloaded...

1. Click the Start button
    2. Type all or part of the file name into the Search box.
      The file you are looking for will appear in the list of results.

teachermark, Feb 17, 2023
  3. How can I set EDGE to by default download to D:\Downloads

Hi:

I do not use Edge, but here is one suggested method (it dates from Aug 2015, but I presume the steps are still valid):

How to change the default Microsoft Edge download location - gHacks Tech News

EDIT: And here is a tutorial right here in tenforums.com:
    Microsoft Edge Downloads Folder - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

HTH,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Feb 17, 2023
  4. Microsoft is Tracking File Downloads Into The Download Folder

Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Feb 17, 2023
Thema:

Microsoft is Tracking File Downloads Into The Download Folder

1. Microsoft is Tracking File Downloads Into The Download Folder - Similar Threads - Microsoft Tracking File

2. Downloads Folder - New Download Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloads Folder - New Download Files: When I download a file to Downloads Folder, I cannot see the file, unless I refresh F5 the Downloads Folder.Is there an option / feature available to automate this? So whenever new files are downloaded, they are listed at top of the list based on Date Modified....
  3. Downloads Folder - New Download Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downloads Folder - New Download Files: When I download a file to Downloads Folder, I cannot see the file, unless I refresh F5 the Downloads Folder.Is there an option / feature available to automate this? So whenever new files are downloaded, they are listed at top of the list based on Date Modified....
  4. Microsoft is Tracking File Downloads Into The Download Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft is Tracking File Downloads Into The Download Folder: I would like to know why Microsoft is tracking files that are sent the download folder. This issue began with Window 10, and it continues into Windows 11. I discovered this when I downloaded a file from a website that I downloaded a year ago. Low and behold, it informed me...
  5. Microsoft deleted all files in Downloads folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft deleted all files in Downloads folder: HelloMy laptop started to sync to one drive and noticed that all my files in Downloads folder were deleted and not being sync. I am lost and lost 20Gb of data. Is there anything that I can do in order to restore these files?Thank you!...
  6. Microsoft deleted all files in Downloads folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft deleted all files in Downloads folder: HelloMy laptop started to sync to one drive and noticed that all my files in Downloads folder were deleted and not being sync. I am lost and lost 20Gb of data. Is there anything that I can do in order to restore these files?Thank you!...
  7. Microsoft deleted all files in Downloads folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Werid folders and files in the downloads folder

Werid folders and files in the downloads folder: [ATTACH] So today I opened my downloads folder to look for something and i was greeted by an absolute wall of folders. I have no idea what these are. I run a virus scan but nothing came up. I also looked up in my browser history what was i doing at the time but i was just...
  9. Auto install of downloaded files in Download folder.

Auto install of downloaded files in Download folder.: How do you stop the auto installation of downloaded files in the Download folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/auto-install-of-downloaded-files-in-download/3cf2007b-164a-47df-b7a9-705636d695dc
  10. View and track your downloads

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    View and track your downloads: When I attempt to open a program, the "view and track your downloads" box opens, but flashes and comes right back to the "view and track your downloads" box. I have tried all of the options such as open, save, save open but nothing works to open the program....