Windows 10: Microsoft is working on web-first Windows 10 OS for low-cost PCs

Discus and support Microsoft is working on web-first Windows 10 OS for low-cost PCs in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; We’ve long heard rumours of Microsoft making a new lightweight version of Windows codenamed “Windows Lite”. Last year, Microsoft finally announced... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Jul 20, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft is working on web-first Windows 10 OS for low-cost PCs

We’ve long heard rumours of Microsoft making a new lightweight version of Windows codenamed “Windows Lite”. Last year, Microsoft finally announced Windows 10X, a modular and lightweight operating for the dual-screen hardware with the ability to run Win32 apps in a virtualized container, but now it seems plans may have changed.

Microsoft is reportedly planning to launch Windows 10X as a web-first i.e web-focused operating system on low-cost PCs to take on Chromebooks.

Windows 10X will first arrive on low-end PCs without local support for legacy Win32 apps, but support for legacy apps on Windows 10X could be delivered later through an “app streaming solution” in 2022.

According to a job post on LinkedIn, Microsoft has already started exploring a new virtualization service called “Cloud PC” where software such as Office will be delivered virtually by Microsoft.

The tech giant’s work on “Cloud PC” might allow users to run Win32 apps on Windows 10X in future, but the highly-anticipated Win32 container support won’t be there next year because of power and resources problem.

As I reported earlier this year, Microsoft has had problems with Win32 app performance in internal builds of Windows 10X apps.

The core interface of Windows 10X will be similar to Windows as it exists today, but it will work like a lightweight OS with greater touch optimizations and less cluttered interface to deliver long-lasting performance and battery backup.

Officially, you won’t be able to modify your Registry to customize the experience and Microsoft will also remove the legacy components, such as Control Panel and classic File Explorer for their modern counterparts.

When is Windows 10X web-focused OS coming?

Reports have pointed at December 2020 as the RTM date for the new web-focused Windows 10X. Hardware supporting Windows Lite may launch next year and Microsoft might show off its Surface Go 3 with this operating system sometime in 2021.

Microsoft’s upcoming Build conference in 2021 would be an optimal time for the company to formally highlight the changes to the Windows 10X platform.

PWAs and UWP apps

Windows 10X will be both faster and leaner than previous Windows operating systems because it ditches the legacy components. Like Windows 10 in S Mode, it will reportedly only run UWP and PWAs downloaded from the Microsoft Store.

Windows 10X is being designed to offer competition to Google’s Chrome OS and Chromebooks, which also depend on web apps. PWAs, which operate as an offline app, will be the key focus on the operating system.

With this change, Microsoft has reportedly pushed back support for Win32 app container to 2022 at the earliest. According to reports, Microsoft has also decided to delay Windows 10X for dual-screen hardware.

The post Microsoft is working on web-first Windows 10 OS for low-cost PCs appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Jul 20, 2020
  2. malware Win User

Microsoft Further Extends Windows XP Deadline for Low-Cost PCs to 2010

Yesterday during the first day of Computex, Rob Young - a senior director of Microsoft OEM group - said that Microsoft will once more extended the deadline for selling Window XP licenses with low-cost desktops until 2010. Microsoft has been under pressure from computer makers that produce and sell UMPCs, because their machines are still not fast enough to run Vista, but are better suited for the old Windows XP OS. In April Microsoft extended its deadline for selling Windows XP licenses to June 30th. Now "nettop" makers like ASUS and their Eee PC have two more years to sell Windows XP. Microsoft is currently supplying Windows XP licenses to more than 20 OEMs including Acer, ASUSTeK, Dell, HP, MSI and others.

Source: Microsoft

malware, Jul 20, 2020
  3. z3r010 Win User
    MSFT to Release Low-Cost/Free Windows 10 with Bing branding

Read more: Microsoft to Release Low-Cost/Free Windows 10 with Bing Branding - Softpedia

z3r010, Jul 20, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Microsoft is working on web-first Windows 10 OS for low-cost PCs - Similar Threads - Microsoft working web

2. Office activation at a very low cost.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Office activation at a very low cost.: Hi, This website claims such a low cost for genuine office and windows. https://www.digisoftmart.com/ Are they selling really genuine products? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-activation-at-a-very-low-cost/0ea883fd-946d-46b6-99e9-e3f7092001bd
  3. Microsoft Update Screw Ups costs low income seniors

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Update Screw Ups costs low income seniors: Microsoft update that messed up many computers & has cost me over $200 to deal with, need to spend another $100 to connect to printers. I am retired living on social security, almost impossible to do as it is, now this, do you even care what you have done! Of course you guys...
  4. Microsoft ads Office Web Apps advertisement to Windows 10 PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft ads Office Web Apps advertisement to Windows 10 PCs: If you run a recent Windows 10 PC, you may have noticed new listings for Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, or Word in the Start Menu or the list of installed programs, even if you did not install the programs. It happened yesterday on a stable Windows 10 PC running Windows 10...
  5. Is there a no cost or low cost way to get Office 2019?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Is there a no cost or low cost way to get Office 2019?: I'm enrolled at a community college and someone told me not to purchase Office 2019 for my new HP system. They said something about a free academic license that I can obtain, since I'm in school. Does anyone know anything about that. Money is a bit tight now since I bought a...
  6. Is there a no cost or low cost way to get Office 2019?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is there a no cost or low cost way to get Office 2019?: I'm enrolled at a community college and someone told me not to purchase Office 2019 for my new HP system. They said something about a free academic license that I can obtain, since I'm in school. Does anyone know anything about that. Money is a bit tight now since I bought a...
  7. MSFT to Release Low-Cost/Free Windows 10 with Bing branding

in Windows 10 News
    MSFT to Release Low-Cost/Free Windows 10 with Bing branding: Intel plans to launch a device running Windows 10 with Bing Microsoft is working with partners to bring cheaper devices to the market and help tackle the growth of Google Chromebooks, and part of this plan is Windows 10 with Bing, a special version of the new operating...
  8. Microsoft Confirms Windows 10 Will Work on Vista PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Confirms Windows 10 Will Work on Vista PCs: A few months ago, soon after Microsoft released the official download links for Windows 10 Technical Preview and we found its system requirements as well, we were told that both new and old computers should be able to run the operating system with little effort. System...
  9. Microsoft ships first Windows 10 upgrade to corporate PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft ships first Windows 10 upgrade to corporate PCs: Microsoft ships first Windows 10 upgrade to corporate PCs [img] Credit: Microsoft 'Current Branch for Business' release signals slower pace and uncertain schedule By Gregg Keizer Follow Computerworld | Apr 11, 2016 6:49 AM PT Microsoft last week promoted Windows...
  10. Windows 9 to Be Fully Focused on Low-Cost Devices

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 to Be Fully Focused on Low-Cost Devices: Microsoft is already in the middle of a very complex plan to bring more affordable devices running modern Windows to the market, so it’s no surprise that the upcoming Windows 9 operating system is going to be part of this new plan. The LinkedIn profile of Oleg Krogius...