Windows 10: Microsoft keeps making things more and more difficult. I want to change my user name and can't.

Discus and support Microsoft keeps making things more and more difficult. I want to change my user name and can't. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My installation of Windows 10 failed after a system restore. After days of trying everything to recover without success, I chose to leave the drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by silvanet_1, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Microsoft keeps making things more and more difficult. I want to change my user name and can't.

My installation of Windows 10 failed after a system restore. After days of trying everything to recover without success, I chose to leave the drive alone and connect a new SSD, then do a clean install on the SSD. I had no opportunity to create my login user name. Windows just assigned my Microsoft Account full legal name and that is NOT what I wanted. I had been able to change my computer name before and had done that to something simple and familiar like Ray-PC. I figure I should still be able to do that. Windows assigned a goofy cryptic letters and numbers name. I also has used my nickname Ray as an administrator user in the old installation. I don't want my full legal name at login and why should Microsoft care? I should be able to name a user Doodoo if I want.

Now, I can't figure out for the life of me how to get rid of what Microsoft did and create my user name as simply Ray. I have other computers on my LAN and they all shared files and folders with that Ray-PC and user Ray. This also creates another problem for me because now I can't access the files in the old drive's folders. I can't access my documents, downloads, anything.

Can anyone help me with this?

:)

silvanet_1, Aug 27, 2019
  2. Ryan_2013 Win User

Change User Name Folders

"The change the name on the Account folder is more difficult because it is more heavily protected. See this tutorial:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/89060-chang..."

On this link, the details show renaming another account. I'm wanting to change the Admin account. It's a good thing I had another user setup on my computer, also as an Admin, because after changing the SID in step 8. And, unable to change the name in step
    11. As "Rename" wasn't in the list. I restarted the computer, since the Admin user account name was changed I was unable to load windows. I had to log into my other account, which was setup as Admin and change the SID back to the 5 letters the user name was
    titled.

My computer, Admin account, works again.

I wasn't wanting to just change another account user name, which this is possible to do. I wanted to change the main user, myself.

Ryan_2013, Aug 27, 2019
  3. user name change

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing some issues using Windows 10.

I would suggest you to follow the steps given below and check if that helps.

• Press Windows + X key.

• Click on control panel.

• Click on user accounts.

• Click on change your account name.
    Change the name as per your according and restart the computer.

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Mayank Gupta10, Aug 27, 2019
  4. Microsoft keeps making things more and more difficult. I want to change my user name and can't.

How to change User name on Windows 10

Hi Davit,

I will certainly help you in changing the User name on Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to change the User name:

• Press Windows logo + R keys to open the run command, type
      netplwiz
      and click on Ok.
    • On the Users tab, click on Properties to change the user name and then click on
      Apply.
    Kindly get back to us for any further assistance on Windows 10. We will be glad to help.

Thank you.

Sudeep Aprameyan, Aug 27, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft keeps making things more and more difficult. I want to change my user name and can't.

1. Microsoft keeps making things more and more difficult. I want to change my user name and can't. - Similar Threads - Microsoft keeps making

2. why is Windows 11 making things more difficult in so many ways

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is Windows 11 making things more difficult in so many ways: I have just ''upgraded'' to a new windows laptop running windows 11, I now cannot post comments on MSN, can type into the comments box but it simply will not post when send is pressed, also I cannot send any attachments successfully atached to emails in outlook live, any...
  3. why is Windows 11 making things more difficult in so many ways

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why is Windows 11 making things more difficult in so many ways: I have just ''upgraded'' to a new windows laptop running windows 11, I now cannot post comments on MSN, can type into the comments box but it simply will not post when send is pressed, also I cannot send any attachments successfully atached to emails in outlook live, any...
  4. why is microsoft more concerned with things like making windows 11 FEEL more like using a...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why is microsoft more concerned with things like making windows 11 FEEL more like using a...: I am concerned that windows 11 is just windows 10 revamped to make it look and feel more like using a MAC device --- this is basically windows throwing in the towel and admitting that they no longer wish to compete with apple to be its own separate entity--- I only start by...
  5. why is microsoft more concerned with things like making windows 11 FEEL more like using a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is microsoft more concerned with things like making windows 11 FEEL more like using a...: I am concerned that windows 11 is just windows 10 revamped to make it look and feel more like using a MAC device --- this is basically windows throwing in the towel and admitting that they no longer wish to compete with apple to be its own separate entity--- I only start by...
  6. why is microsoft more concerned with things like making windows 11 FEEL more like using a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Microsoft Making Win32 APIs More Accessible to More Languages

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Making Win32 APIs More Accessible to More Languages: Introduction Win32 APIs provide powerful functionality that let you get the most out of Windows in your applications. While these APIs are readily accessible to C and C++ developers, other languages like C# and Rust require wrappers or bindings in order to access these APIs....
  8. More than one user name for Outlook.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    More than one user name for Outlook.: How do I access either address? Only one will come up in Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/more-than-one-user-name-for-outlook/9dc5907c-7a89-49bd-99e8-578ee1816b77"
  9. Microsoft please stop making things difficult in Edge!

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft please stop making things difficult in Edge!: 1) When I open a new tab (in Edge) theres a very good chance I know what website I want to go to so why don't you make the url box viewable by default when you open a new tab? Why do I need to click the empty space to make the url box open? Whats the advantage of doing this?...
  10. Microsoft account makes networking more difficult?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft account makes networking more difficult?: I've been using standard networking since win95, when it was so easy anybody could do it. It keeps getting more difficult. I had to learn in Win7 that you had to type in a permission name that wasn't even in the list "Everyone" and grant it the desired permissions. Seems...