Windows 10: Microsoft locks Ryzen and Kaby Lake users out of updates on Windows 7

Discus and support Microsoft locks Ryzen and Kaby Lake users out of updates on Windows 7 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft is locking down system updates for those using AMD’s Ryzen and Intel’s Kaby Lake processors on older versions of Windows, including Windows 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by DeclanT, Mar 16, 2017.

1. DeclanT Win User

Microsoft locks Ryzen and Kaby Lake users out of updates on Windows 7

Microsoft is locking down system updates for those using AMD’s Ryzen and Intel’s Kaby Lake processors on older versions of Windows, including Windows 7 and 8.1. Users are now starting to encounter the following error message: “Your PC uses a processor that isn’t supported on this version of Windows”. This message appears when a user attempts to update their OS and a quick look at Microsoft’s support page reveals upgrading to Windows 10 is the only resolution.

No Windows Updates in Windows 7 and 8 if CPU not Supported - Windows 7 Help Forums

:)

DeclanT, Mar 16, 2017
  2. KritOpas Win User

Windows freeze and no reponse

Hi BBCar, NickCR1

I'm certain that this problem is caused by using Kaby Lake CPUs and BIOS 7.0.

My Deskmini with a Skylake CPU had been working fine for 8 months. After I upgraded CPU to a Kaby Lake CPU, it started having the same problem you mentioned and both of you use Kaby Lake CPUs

Once I swapped the Kaby lake for the old Skylake, the random freezes were gone.

Too bad no new BIOS since 7.0

KritOpas, Mar 16, 2017
  3. KritOpas Win User
    Windows freeze and no reponse

Hi BBCar,

I had the same Kaby Lake i5 7600, used BIOS 7.0, and had the same problem.

After I swapped the Kaby lake for an old Skylake, the random freezes were gone.

Did you find a solution for the problem?

NickCR1 had the same issue, but it disappeared after upgrading the BIOS to 7.0. His CPU is a Kaby Lake G4560, though.

Thanks NickCR1 for letting me know about the new BIOS, 7.20. I'm going to try it with my Kaby Lake.

KritOpas, Mar 16, 2017
  4. wyldman68 Win User

Yea, Microsoft has only been stating this for the last year. So if you want 7 or 8.1 you will need to go VM on the new hardware.

wyldman68, Mar 16, 2017
  5. Fabler2 Win User
  6. OilerNut Win User
    OilerNut, Mar 16, 2017
  7. Fabler2 Win User
    It will support an original Windows 8.1 on a computer supplied with that OS. What it means is that any new computers supplied with Windows 10 will not be supported if you downgrade to another Windows OS.

Fabler2, Mar 17, 2017
  8. Microsoft locks Ryzen and Kaby Lake users out of updates on Windows 7

So the MS lied about the W7 being supported until 2020.

In a sane world, this should cause a user backlash/boycott against W10 (just like W8) forcing MS to release W11.

lehnerus2000, Mar 17, 2017
  9. Cliff S New Member
    [youtube]u5mFI9spp10[/youtube]

Cliff S, Mar 17, 2017
  10. Windows 7 systems. Kaby Lake and Ryzen were never intended to become Windows 7 systems.

FuturDreamz, Mar 17, 2017
  11. What lie, its still supported until 2020? On supported hardware. Every version of Windows has a system requirements.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/...m-requirements

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor*

* Prior versions of Windows, including Windows 7, have limited support when running on new processors and chipsets from manufacturers like Intel, AMD, NVidia, and Qualcomm. For more information, please see the Support Lifecycle FAQ.

alphanumeric, Mar 17, 2017
  12. Deliberately false/misleading just like UNLIMITED OneDrive storage.

All that Support Statement says is, MS can drop W7 support at any time (and could have dropped support any time during the past 7 years) and yet still allow them to claim that they are upholding the agreement.

Surely Ryzen and Kaby Lake:
    • Exceed those minimum specifications
    • Can execute the same instructions that the earlier CPUs could

lehnerus2000, Mar 18, 2017
  13. Microsoft locks Ryzen and Kaby Lake users out of updates on Windows 7

This is just wrong on every level.

Josey Wales, Mar 18, 2017
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    My take,,, FWIW.. as usual.. YMMV... as usual

1. MS has zero obligation to support 7/8.1 on the new chips from Intel/AMD. It sure would be nice but they don't have to do it.

2 If you or anyone is going to go through the process of getting say a Ryzan processor I would think that having the latest OS would go along with the upgrade to make the most out of the processor. No? I would for certain. There's no point in using an outdate OS on a top processor. To me the difference in the two(Win 7) and 10 are significate enough to justify the upgrade.

3 I understand it's likely going to cost most people around 200+ to get the pro copy but heck.. I think it's worth it and it might just be worth it for some of those upgraders to use the Home version.

4 I thought we already knew this when it came to the latest Intel chips? Wasn't this a topic last year when MS announced it wouldn't support the latest Intel chips with 7/8.1? I could swear it was. Correct me if I'm mistaken on this.

I would love to see MS continue to support 7/8.1 on the newer chips but heck.. this is now written in stone.
    Just my 2c..

BunnyJ, Mar 18, 2017
  15. Although likely not ideal, if you absolutely have to run Windows 7 on that hardware. I would think running it in a VM is still an option?

alphanumeric, Mar 18, 2017
Thema:

1. Microsoft locks Ryzen and Kaby Lake users out of updates on Windows 7 - Similar Threads - Microsoft locks Ryzen

2. Intel 7th Gen Kaby Lake

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel 7th Gen Kaby Lake: is any update regarding windows upgrade on specified processor? or will it be FOREVER unsupported. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/intel-7th-gen-kaby-lake/39b4c045-8767-436e-a9c6-8487650ea59c
  3. Intel 7th Gen Kaby Lake

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intel 7th Gen Kaby Lake: is any update regarding windows upgrade on specified processor? or will it be FOREVER unsupported. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/intel-7th-gen-kaby-lake/39b4c045-8767-436e-a9c6-8487650ea59c
  4. Intel 7th Gen Kaby Lake not supported by Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel 7th Gen Kaby Lake not supported by Windows 11: I have an Intel I7-7700HQ Kaby Lake CPU, and all the minimum system requirements for Windows 11 apart from the CPU are met - as shown in the PC Health Check screenshots.I'm running a 3 year old which at the time was a high spec MSI gaming laptop with upgraded RAM and SSDI...
  5. Intel 7th Gen Kaby Lake not supported by Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intel 7th Gen Kaby Lake not supported by Windows 11: I have an Intel I7-7700HQ Kaby Lake CPU, and all the minimum system requirements for Windows 11 apart from the CPU are met - as shown in the PC Health Check screenshots.I'm running a 3 year old which at the time was a high spec MSI gaming laptop with upgraded RAM and SSDI...
  6. Windows 10 Pro 32-bit on Kaby Lake?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Pro 32-bit on Kaby Lake?: Hi, Is Windows 10 Pro 32-bit officially supported on Kaby Lake processors? The Intel web site indicates 'no': https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006105/processors.html thanks, Louis...
  7. Coffee Lake/Windows 7

Coffee Lake/Windows 7: Anyone come up with drivers to allow Windows 7 mouse/keyboard to function on Coffee Lake CPUs - without having to reinstall W7, which is ready to roll but for those controls. 151584
  8. Windows 10 and Kaby Lake+

Windows 10 and Kaby Lake+: Skylake users given 18 months to upgrade to Windows 10 | Ars Technica Help me understand how this works? I have a 6700k with w7 and w10. How does Microsoft know which CPU one uses with Windows? Would, for example, a W7 computer with a 2600k get updates that mine would...
  9. Skylake, Kaby Lake chips have a crash bug with hyperthreading enabled

in Windows 10 News
    Skylake, Kaby Lake chips have a crash bug with hyperthreading enabled: Under certain conditions, systems with Skylake or Kaby Lake processors can crash due to a bug that occurs when hyperthreading is enabled. Intel has fixed the bug in a microcode update, but until and unless you install the update, the recommendation is that hyperthreading be...
  10. MSI unleashes more than 30 new Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen motherboards

in Windows 10 News
    MSI unleashes more than 30 new Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen motherboards: The “M” in “MSI” must stand for “motherboards,” because at CES 2017 the company launched more than 30 new mobos designed to work with Intel’s just-dropped Kaby Lake desktop processors. Thirty. Kaby. Lake. Motherboards. But a pair of motherboards tucked away at the end of the...